PDA

View Full Version : Nut allergy

crazygoalie39
03-28-2011, 01:05 PM
So I have a life threatening Peanut/Tree Nut allergy and was wondering what restaurants are the best for this. I absolutely love WDW because it's one of the few places I feel comfortable eating because they are so conscientious of allergies there, but some places I just don't feel safe because of the fear of cross-contamination. We definitely have our favorites, but we end up just going to the same restaurants every trip and was looking for some help finding some new ones. :mickey:

Scar
03-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Disney is very accommodating when it comes to addressing the needs of guests with food allergies and other needs. I have two suggestions:

1) Avoid buffets.

2) Ask to talk to the chef (better yet call in advance.)

gauvin4
03-28-2011, 02:45 PM
My daughter suffers from the same allergy. We have never had an issue at WDW. I remember seeing signs saying if there were any nuts in the food at Boma. Boma is a buffet style restaurant at AKL and one of our fav places to eat. Make sure to tell any restaurant that you have a nut allergy. They are very accomodating.

Mickey'sGirl
03-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I am allergic to tree nuts, and have eaten just about everywhere at the World! We always note my allergy on the reservation, make mention of it when we check in for our reservation at the restaurant, and mention it again to our server. The chef always comes out to discuss my meals with me, and I have never had an issue, even at the Buffets (where the chefs tend to do a walk through with me).

Just make sure to mention it at every opportunity, and your daughter will be good to to! Have fun! :thumbsup:

WLfans
03-29-2011, 10:13 AM
We have a DD with a Peanut Allergy.
Disney was great. First if you do dining reservations make sure you mention it to the person taking the reservation or online special diets. Then contact Disney at this email address. This will send you a form. Then fill it out and send it back to them two weeks before your visit.

[email protected]

While checking in at the restaurant mention that your child has an allergy. Then mention it again to the server. The chef will come out and explain the menu.
With a peanut allergy avoid, Ohana. They were using a peanut sauce. Many of the buffets are safe. While at the buffet avoid muffins and any ice cream station which may have toppings.
We've been five times with our Peanut Allergy daughter and had a good time. Besure to check airlines too. Southwest which we have flown was not great to fly with. Also, try these things called Plane Sheets. They cover the seats and avoid touching the pockets holding magazines in front of you.

Crow
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
fiancee has peanut allergy. u can list allergies on ADRs. chefs came out to discuss wat was safe. They seemed very accomadating.

CanadaLovesDisney
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
One member of our party has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy. We have been going for years and always like to try new restaurants but there are some we will not try.

Restaurants that are GREAT and chef will come out and talk to you:

Coral Reef
Tony's Town Square
San Angel Inn
Via Napoli
Wolfgang Puck Express
Earl of Sandwhich (even the cookies, brownies and cupcakes were safe for her)
Old Port Royale at the Carribbean Beach
Most of the quick services places are okay and will give youa binder with ingredient listing.
She can eat the funnel cakes and crepes at epcot too!
The fountainview Cafe and Mainstreet Icecream parlor both carry Edy's icecream and if you ask they will happily get a fresh scoop out and go to a fresh container of icecream to make sure it is safe! (Cookies and Creme is her favourite):mickey:

Brown Derby has told us that are not good with allergies and also Teppan Edo (spelling?) in epcot. Also Marrakesh and Yak & Yeti is suppose to be risky with cross contamination but we know not to bring her to thai, asian style restaurants because even though we love it, they always cook with sesame, peanut oils. We ate at Tutto Italia and she was unable to eat ANY desserts which was disappointing. So I wouldnt really recommend that place. Tony's Town Square is very accomodating as far as the meals go but theyre desserts are not safe either. Every restaurant will tell you their bread or buns are NOT safe, which is understandable. We also completely avoid buffets because of cross contamination with her allergy being so severe!

I think one of the main reasons we continue to go back to WDW is their willingness to accomodate her allergies. We often email them after the trip to thank them for all of their help and understanding.

CanadaLovesDisney
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
We have a DD with a Peanut Allergy.
Disney was great. First if you do dining reservations make sure you mention it to the person taking the reservation or online special diets. Then contact Disney at this email address. This will send you a form. Then fill it out and send it back to them two weeks before your visit.

[email protected]

While checking in at the restaurant mention that your child has an allergy. Then mention it again to the server. The chef will come out and explain the menu.
With a peanut allergy avoid, Ohana. They were using a peanut sauce. Many of the buffets are safe. While at the buffet avoid muffins and any ice cream station which may have toppings.
We've been five times with our Peanut Allergy daughter and had a good time. Besure to check airlines too. Southwest which we have flown was not great to fly with. Also, try these things called Plane Sheets. They cover the seats and avoid touching the pockets holding magazines in front of you.

Unfortunately NORTHWEST airlines is not good with allergies either! TRUST ME! And you can write them, tell every single employee for the flight that you can and they still try and serve peanuts to the row in front of you! "oh ha ha I forgot mam" is NOT acceptable.

TheDuckRocks
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
In Nov. I had my first trip to WDW since developing a peanut allergy and was very pleased with how helpful the restaurants are in general. I had noted on all our ADRs my allergy and read the ingredient listings of the counter service places from the Disney website.
Every restaurant had the chef come out to talk to me and was aware of what I needed to avoid.
I only had one not so great experience with the chef at Crystal Palace, we had been seated for over a half hour before he came out and then just took me over to the buffet waved at large sections and said I couldn't eat anything from "that area and that one and that one" and showed me a grand total of 4 items that he deemed OK.
On the other hand the cafe at Kona Cafe was absolutely amazing. He asked me what I would really, really like to have and I told him the noodle dish but I knew it was a no go as the menu stated right on it there was both peanuts and peanut sauce in it. He then to my delight told me he could prepare it for me without using them and would also cook it with utensils that had not been used for anything else. He personally delived it to the table as "the less hands the surer it is safe". Let me tell you I was one happy, happy woman.