PDA

View Full Version : July 2011....

javamama
03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
So it looks like we're about 99% decided to make the trek from Chicago to the West Coast, for my parents 40th wedding anniversary(they want all 11 of us to meet them in DL for 4 days):mickey: My BIL has been there a few times over the years but he's the only one, besides my parents who were there 40 years ago, so we're in the planning stages. Now we've all been to WDW alot, even my kids have gone 5 times in the last 5 years...so we're getting excited at least I am.
I don't have a clue though about DL, I know the 2 parks are there, they have a downtown type area, the 3 main Disney Hotels but that's it. We want to stay on the property, and my parents want to splurge a bit again( we had a great suite in WDW twice).

So I usually nominated as the trip planner, and this time I need HELP:confused: because I'm lost:mickey:
Do they have a dining plan, club level/suites(I'm guessing yes), so any info is really, really appreciated!
Thanks,
T

NewDVCowner
03-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm sure that someone will stop by soon that will be able to give you great detailed information, but I did want to say flat out that the "dining plan" that is offered at Disneyland is worthless. You basically pay money for a voucher which is worth that same amount of money. If you use it for something that costs less than the voucher you don't get change so it's a big rip-off. There is only one (public) sit down place in Disneyland, the Blue Bayou. There are a couple more in DCA, thought I've never eatten at any of them. Disneyland is a dry park, so you can't get wine with dinner. Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel is supposed to be nice, though I have yet to go. The hotels and DCA do serve adult beverages. :marg:

The two parks are litterally across a courtyard - maybe 100 - 150 yards apart. Really easy to walk between so I really recommend getting a park hopper options. When I go down there I hop between the two several times a day. On that note, no matter what they say the ink from the stamp does wash away so if you can't see the stamp on your hand do get it restamped. I almost had a big problem with that one time when they assured me that the stamp was still there even though I couldn't see it. :secret:

BrerGnat
03-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Skip the dining plan. Save yourself the confusion. Disneyland Resort is "easier" to deal with dining. No advanced ADRs are really required anywhere. Every place takes walk ups. :thumbsup:

If this is a special trip, these places should be in your "must dos":

-Napa Rose (Grand Californian)
-Steakhouse 55 (Disneyland Hotel)

The following are VERY good, and worth trying:
-Naples (Downtown Disney)
-Catal (Downtown Disney)
-Storyteller's Cafe (good family place, in Grand Californian)

If you want the ultimate splurge, there are some "Signature Suites" at the Disneyland Hotel. Here is some more info on them. They are $$$$$$ for sure, but look really cool!

Fairy Tale Suite (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/fairy-tale-suite-at-the-disneyland-hotel/)

Big Thunder Suite (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/08/new-signature-suite-at-the-disneyland-hotel-big-thunder-suite/)

The Mickey Mouse Penthouse (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/09/signature-suites-at-the-disneyland-hotel-mickey-mouse-penthouse/)

If you are not looking to spend quite that much money, there are regular suites available at all three resorts, as well as Club Level rooms. BE AWARE: if you book a suite, it does NOT automatically include Club Level perks. If you want that access, it's an additional $150/night per suite. Club Level at the Grand is very good, but it's also very pricey!

Also, know that there is LIMITED availability to book at the Grand Californian Villas on a cash basis. They are $$$$$, though.

The Downtown Disney at Disneyland is very different from the one at WDW, in a good way. It's a more pedestrian area, smaller, but better stores and restaurants. It's well themed too, and has live music almost every night. :thumbsup:

Let us know if you have more specific questions!

javamama
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
So which airport? LAX or SNA? or just go with the cheapest airfare these days?

BrerGnat
03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
SNA all the way. :number1:

LAX might get you cheaper flights, but the airport itself is a headache to deal with. Plus, it's a good 40-60 min drive (depending on traffic) from DLR.

I am actually willing to pay significantly more in airfare to fly into/out of SNA when I travel, just because it's such a gem of an airport.

javamama
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks so much, I'm not a big traffic fan even though I live in rushhour mecca Chicago:mad:
I'll starting checking on those soon, we have lots of choices out of ORD so that's good(I refuse to go stby w/my kids being little even though it's free). I'll look at MDW too for some cheap seats.
I'm sure I'll ask you 100 more ?'s so thanks in advance:mickey:
T

eeyorepoohfan
04-02-2011, 01:50 PM
This sounds like it will be a great trip! I LOVE WDW, but Disneyland is very special. I love that it's so easy to navigate and things are pretty close together. Planning for Dland is very different than WDW. If you are wanting the nicest accomodations, the Grand Californian is the way to go. It's the nicest, but most expensive. And you have access straight into California Adventure without having to go to the main entrance. The Grand Calif. is a smaller version of Wilderness Lodge.

Park hoppers are still very helpful here. When I've gone, we've hopped several times a day. It literally takes less than a minute to walk from the gate of Disneyland to the gate at California Adventure.

Do not get the dining plan at Disneyland, it's much easier just to pay out of pocket.

I have heard the World of Color show at CA is amazing! You can do a dining or picnic option to get priority seating. I believe you can also get fastpasses to make sure you have a viewing section.

Ride and see everything you can! Many of the rides they have at WDW at Dland are a little different from each other.

I always fly into SNA. It's only about a 30 minute drive to Disneyland. It's a smaller airport and super easy to navigate.

I love Downtown Disney at Disneyland! It's smaller than WDW, but has great stores and restaurants. Plus, it's only a minute or two walk from the entrance of Dland and CA. And just steps outside of the Grand Californian.

I've been at least a dozen times. My most recent trip was last May. They will have the new Little Mermaid ride open at the beginning of June, so will Star Tours.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

clausjo
04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
We're planning on going to DL for the first time in July for my 40th birthday. I'm a FL native and know WDW like the back of my hand, but have never been to CA. I've enjoyed reading the tips already provided here, but it seems as though there just isn't as much information available about DL. We'll only be able to go for about 4 days, will that be enough to see everything?

Disney4us2
04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
We're planning on going to DL for the first time in July for my 40th birthday. I'm a FL native and know WDW like the back of my hand, but have never been to CA. I've enjoyed reading the tips already provided here, but it seems as though there just isn't as much information available about DL. We'll only be able to go for about 4 days, will that be enough to see everything?

In 4 days you should be able to see and do a lot. It will be at summer crowd levels though. Like WDW the fastpasses work great and you can get them at both parks at the same time since the machines are not connected.

You probably won't need any ADR's except for character meals, especially Goofy's Kitchen, & The Blue Bayou.

Do just like you would at WDW... eat at off times , fastpasses, etc.

Have a great time.