PDA

View Full Version : 1900 Park Fare, or GF Cafe?

paragon
03-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I am planning ADR's and was hoping to get some input/reviews. I need to choose one of each:
Which would you choose?

1900 Park Fare or the Grand Floridian Cafe'?

Mama Melrose's or Hollywood & Vine?

Thanks in advance!

faline
03-27-2011, 05:36 PM
If you want characters, go for 1900 Park Faire. It's a buffet. If you want quieter dining and tabel service, select the Grand Floridian Cafe.

I've never dined at Hollywood & Vine so can't express an opinion on it. We've had some mixed results though have mostly had good meals at Mama Melrose's.

Joannelet
03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
1900 Park Fare is fun for the character interaction and it is a buffet. GF Cafe is quiet and more relaxing....both have good food though.
I've eaten at both MM and H&V and while I can't remember what exactly I ate there...I don't remember the food being bad at all. (I do have pics of the desserts from H&V and those were yummy :)
Just look at the menu's online and see if anything appeals to you.

White Rose
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
1900 Park Fare is a lot of fun! I would go for the stepsisters interaction alone! I thought the buffet for dinner was pretty good (excellent Caesar salad!) and the chicken marsala was pretty good. I haven't been to the GF Cafe, but have heard nothing but good reviews. I also can't comment on the other two, haven't eaten at either.

MarkC
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
We've been to Hollywood and Vine twice-- good food for a buffet with good service both times. You'll definitely need reservations. They had some of the usual stuff with some different variations of chicken if I remember. Good desserts as well.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
We did not care for H&V, I would pick Mama Melrose's....we've not tried the other two...while Grand Floridian Cafe sounds delish and I want to try it sometime, we are going to try 1900 Park Fare next trip for the character breakfast. I guess it depends on why you're going for the food or the character experience...if its for the food I would try GFC because I've heard 1900 is just standard buffet offerings....

jonahbear2006
04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe is better food-wise. We finally went after reading the book, Mousejunkies. Someone said in the book that one of disneys hidden secrets is this restaurant and their grand sandwich. We went to check it out. Where we left 1900 park fare feeling as if we spent way too much for stale rice krispy treats and over cooked mac and cheese, Grand Floridian Cafe was Not only one of the best managed restaurants in WDW but the Open faced sandwich that was set on onion straws and covered with boursin cheese sauce was to die for. We oohed and aahhed over the food, asked to see the manager to thank him for him and his staff's excellence, and then came home and told everyone about it. The other two restaurants I honestly havent eaten at before. I have lingered to try H&V so many times but every site I go to that has reviews on it talks about how they preferred the Golden Corral. Now as much as I love the Golden Corral, on an idle Sunday, I have much more to be desired when I am at Disney World. I will try them myself though before offering advice. Wherever you choose, enjoy !!!!:thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
04-05-2011, 03:33 PM
While 1900 Park Fare has my single favorite WDW dish (strawberry soup...YUM!), I had one of the best dining experiences in all my trips at the cafe. We had a wonderful server, fantastic meal in a beautiful setting. We raved about the meal for days after we were there!

Jared
04-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't really view Grand Floridian Cafe and 1900 Park Fare as comparable, which should make your decision easier. You're deciding between a character buffet and a quaint little cafe. If you're looking for a good meal, definitely try Grand Floridian Cafe. The food is far superior. I only recommend 1900 Park Fare if you really enjoy character meals, or have small children who want to see characters.

As for your other question, I definitely recommend Mama Melrose's. Hollwood & Vine is perhaps the most mediocre, forgettable restaurant I've tried on Disney property.

smcd
04-05-2011, 08:46 PM
We love the GF Cafe - love it for breakfast and it's usually easy to get in to. The 1900 Park Fare is character dining. When we were last there it was Princess theme but seems like it's Cindy and Wonderland characters which sounds fun. And yes! the strawberry soup is amazing.

Your options at DHS are also a sit down restaurant and a character buffet. So again your choice is dependent on whether or not you want character interaction. Though the characters are only there for breakfast or lunch - it's Little Einsteins and Handy Manny if you have kids who like those characters! We haven't been to H&V in years but do try to go to Mama Melrose's at least every other visit.