PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana, Crystal Palace, Coral Reef, Boma, 1900 Park Fare, and Akershus Review

svarhall07
03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I just returned from WDW with the basic dining plan. This was my 4th time with the dining plan and we still love it. I saved about 24% this trip total with the dining plan.

'Ohana
This is a must-do every trip. We waited about 10 minutes to get seated after our ADR, had an excellent server, and the food was outstanding. I could barely walk out after the bread pudding.

I do have one major complaint! I love the Lapu Lapu and look forward to it every trip, but I was there May 2010 and then last week March 2011 and both nights for my 'Ohana ADR they have been completely out of pineapples. I was so disappointed this time I asked to speak to the manager. He said they only had a small location to store the pineapples and that sometimes they run out. I understand running out, but 2 times in a row! Next time I might bring my own . . .

Crystal Palace
We did the character breakfast the first morning. Our ADRs were at 8:05AM so we got in the park before rope drop. It was so nice to get pictures in front of the castle with no one else around! The character interaction was excellent, we even saw Pooh and Piglet twice. The food was typical disney breakfast buffet, but I would definitely return simply for the early entrance to Magic Kingdom.

Coral Reef
This was my third visit here. We had to wait about 25 minutes for our table after our ADR. We were seated on the 2nd level and had an outstanding view of the tanks. This time I had mahi mahi and it was delicious. Everyone else enjoyed their meal too. I had the creme brule for dessert, and I would probably pass on that next time. I tasted the bailey's mouse and the cheesecake and they were delicious. We always enjoy this meal, but I will probably skip the next trip and return later.

Boma
YUMM!!!! My favorite in all of WDW! We got to AKL early to view some animals and then headed to our dinner ADR. We were seated immediately. The food was :thumbsup: I could eat at Boma for breakfast and dinner every night. Service was great too!

1900 Park Fare Character Breakfast
This was our first time at the character breakfast. I wouldn't return. Our ADR was at 8:05AM and we arrived around 7:45AM. We had the photo taken and were allowed in at 8AM. Our waitress was horrible. After tasting the juice (which was excellent, but not something I could drink a lot of - too sweet) we asked for 4 waters, 2 milks, and 2 diet cokes. Our waitress acted like this was a major request, and it took her 3 tries to get it right. She continued to be unaccommodating the whole meal - I very rarely tip less than the listed 18% - but she received about 5%. The food was yet again typical disney buffet. I enjoyed the strawberry soup, but didn't like the banana's foster syrup. Also, the photo taken at the beginning of the meal was offered for $31. Too much, I bought three 8x10s photos from Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Expedition Everest this trip for $22 which is too much already, but $31 - no way. Also, Alice, Mary Poppins, and the Mad Hatter were great, but we saw Pooh and Tigger again . . . what do they have to do with Mary Poppins? I would not recommend this place!

Akershu's Princess Dinner
This place blew me away! It was my first visit, and I was with a 5 year old girl. We only waited about 5 minutes, had our little princess's photo taken with Belle as we walked in, and then were seated in the left room. Our waitress was outstanding, she was so helpful with describing the meals. The food was delicious! :number1: The princess interaction was unbelievable. Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella, and Aurora all stopped by our table, talked with the little girl, stayed in full character, and blew us away. They were so sweet to the child. This meal is every little princess's dream. I would recommend this to any family with little girls of any age!!! Boys would probably be unimpressed, but it's a girls dream.

Overall, the only place I wouldn't return to is 1900 Park Fare character breakfast. I love Grand Floridian Cafe and would choose it over 1900 Park Fare any day.

Momto3littlemice
03-26-2011, 11:28 PM
I completely agree about 1900 Park Fare Bfst. We had our first a few weeks ago and also won't be returning. We LOVED Mary Poppins but the food was so -so and the service wasn't great and the whole atmosphere just wasn't quite us. So loud and not overly accomodating. I also thought the banans foster syrup was terrible -- especially after having the WAY better version at 'Ohana a few nights prior! And, Boma is our fave too! I think I'll have to try Akershus next time! Thanks for the reviews :mickey:!

Pop Centurion
03-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience at 1900 Park Fare. I had just the opposite experience wen I visited in 2009. Our waitress was very friendly & constantly stopped by our table to ask if we needed anything. As for the food, I thought it was pretty good.

I agree with you on both Boma & 'Ohana. If I lived close to Disney I'd probably eat at each at least once a week. Sorry to hear you couldn't get a Lapu Lapu. Those things are great. The one I had last year though was very strong & tasted like it was mostly rum.

mom2morgan
03-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the reviews - we plan to do all of these places on our next trip! We're doing 1900 Park Fare for supper, though - with the Stepsisters. Since the food will be different it's hard to say if we'll have the same experience you did!

Joannelet
03-27-2011, 02:15 PM
We too had an opposite experience at 1900 park fare. This has become my favorite character meal yet. Our waitress was good, the character interaction with my son who was 1 was incredible. I'm sorry you had a horrible time there. In May we are doing the dinner there to see the step sisters that everyone mentions but if I wasn't I would definitely be doing the breakfast again. This time around we are doing the crystal palace for breakfast. Your review sounds great for that! Cannot wait to take pics in front of the castle with no one there! Thanks for your reports!

TheVBs
03-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Thank you for the reviews! We're really looking forward to trying Akershus on our next trip. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
03-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Loved your reviews. Agreed about 1900 Park Fare. We will never return there. It was mass chaos during our morning there. Also agreed on Askerhus!! I went with my family, including my son who was 10 and he was smitten with the princesses as he was lavished with attention!!!
Ohana's is a must do for us each trip too. Crazy that they ran out of pineapples??!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-27-2011, 08:27 PM
thanks for the reviews

Belster
03-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Great reviews!! Thanks!:mickey:

tinksmom02
03-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Great reviews, glad you enjoyed (almost) everything. We've never had a bad meal at 1900, I think we've been there 3 or 4 times. We had the same server last trip as a previous trip, and she even remembered us! We've never waited more than a few minutes to be seated, too. Sorry it wasn't good for you.

yjgirl32
03-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the reviews- they were excellent.

jnfr2424
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Great Review and here's another vote for 1900
We were there on Thanksgiving and we got stuck in that back room so we could not see the dance etc. And it took forever for the characters to come and interact with everyone . This year we are going to try Akershus and hopefull we will just as happy as you were!

fabfundisney
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Lovely reviews! Thanks!

jillluvsdisney
03-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your reviews. We had a really nice breakfast at 1900 Park Fair and a horrible breakfast at Crystal Palace. The Crystal Palace service was aweful. I've never eaten at Coral Reef. My curiosity has been peaked.

Belle_0717
04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I agree with 1900 Park Fare. It was just me and DH when we went and only Pooh & Tigger were interested in interacting with us.

Hitting Boma for our anniversary dinner and have added Akerhaus back in - we did lunch with our princesses last October and dinner just DH & I in May '09. The princesses were fabulous.

Had a bad experience at Coral Reef in October 2008 and probably will never go back.

My all-time favorite is Crystal Palace. Only had one so-so experience but have gotten over it. Love breakfast with lunch a close second.

194 days to go . . . . .

stitch34
04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at 1900 Park Fare. We had the opposite when we were there in 2009. Our service was great and we loved the character interaction. They were great with us at our table as well as interacting with each other. They were hysterical!

We also love going into MK for an early breakfast to get pictures before rope drop:thumbsup: