PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Tea at the GF

UCJen
03-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi there.

Has anyone gone to the Afternoon Tea? (I mean the proper tea, not the Princess tea.)

My husband is from England and I thought this would be fun to try. It looks a bit like an estrogen-overload in the pix I've seen. Will a man feel out of place here?

He likes his tea and scones with clotted cream, but everything looks so dainty and delicate. It gives me pause. ;)

Cheers.

Strmchsr
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Haven't personally gone, by my wife (who has done it a couple of times) said it is definitely female targeted and "dainty." However, she saw some couples present so it's not a female only thing. It's supposed to be a Victorian era style tea, not really your modern English Afternoon Tea. If you're going during the Flower and Garden Festival, the Tea Room at UK in Epcot has a wonderful tour about all their different teas and you get some great samples.

floridamom
03-25-2011, 07:35 PM
We have been, and my husband loved it. He and I both had the Buckingham Palace tea service (tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts, along with either fresh strawberries and cream, or a selection of pastries). He chose strawberries and cream , while I picked the pastries, which were more "dainty." The a la carte menu also offers a "Gentleman's Tea Platter" with a duck and cherry terrine, chicken & pork roulade, country pate en croute, marinated berries, cumberland sauce and English Blue Stilton.

DD6 would love to go again for her birthday, and my husband can't wait. So I say go for it!

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-25-2011, 08:16 PM
The ladies in our group have done it many times.
From their experience males are a definite minority.

I choose to stay far far away...head over to World Showcase and have a cold one or two with the other guy in the group. :beer:

faline
03-25-2011, 08:34 PM
My husband and I did this a couple of years ago. While males were definitely in the minority, they were certainly present. Both of us enjoyed the experience. The desserts, in particular, are heavenly!!!

baby minnie's mommy
03-25-2011, 10:54 PM
We've done this as a family with my husband and my dad, and they both enjoyed it. Actually we've been there twice since they really liked it the first time!

mouseketeer mom
03-26-2011, 07:50 AM
It is Estrogen driven. Its dainty and flowery and delicate. My daughters and I have been 3 times, rarely do we see a man, it seems to be a ladies afternoon out. I have seen larger parties with a male or two thrown in, but it is primarily female.

ElenitaB
03-26-2011, 05:58 PM
We've gone as mixed groups every single time we've gone, and I consider it to be a very pleasant experience in a more-refined-than-usual-for-a-theme-park-setting... I certainly don't consider it to be estrogen driven.

FenwayGirl
03-26-2011, 07:25 PM
There were many families when we went last year...personally I like the option that somes with Champagne:marg:

UCJen
03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks, everyone! :)

My 9 YO son is coming along, too, but I'm sure the desserts will keep him happy. ;)

I figure I will now have to sit through the soccer match I have been avoiding since we met the next time we go to England to visit his family. :soccer:

I hope this is worth it. :thedolls: ;)

mom2morgan
03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks, everyone! :)

My 9 YO son is coming along, too, but I'm sure the desserts will keep him happy. ;)

I figure I will now have to sit through the soccer match I have been avoiding since we met the next time we go to England to visit his family. :soccer:

I hope this is worth it. :thedolls: ;)

LOL - yup, marriage is all about the trade-offs! You've got me interested in the tea, now. I'll have to look for some information on it!

TheRustyScupper
03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Our Ratings of Afternoon Tea at GF: (rev 1/1/11)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: C+
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B+
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff helpfulness: B

NOTE: The "Tea" is in a friendly atmosphere, a relaxing way
to put a break in the day, with low noise level and seldom any
loud talking. A negative for the true tea aficionado, is they
serve only Pekoe (BP & BOP) tea, hence, the "C+" for quality.
However, the food is a "B".

KatieDuck22
03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Yes, I have done it personally. Though it is extremely delicate and danty and well girly we have experienced groups of almost all men at times. The food is good and it's a fun experience. It's also relaxing, but then again girly.

clausjo
03-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I've been twice and seen men both times. My son (11) went with us the last time in February and he loved it! He's not into girly things at all, but loved the tea, desserts and the sugar cubes . . . especially the sugar cubes!!!

I think your son will enjoy it and the food was very yummy, so that should satisfy your husband. Either way, it's a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. Enjoy!

Disnamic Duo
03-28-2011, 03:25 PM
My wife and I do this every trip now. I booked it mostly for her the first time. But, I enjoyed it so much, I make sure to book it every time we go now. It's one of MY favorite things to do at WDW. It's a very relaxing afternoon at a beautiful resort.

I definately enjoy a beer, a bag of peanuts and a ballgame...but I also enjoy something a little nicer sometimes too.

QTPie68
03-29-2011, 11:17 PM
When I went, there actually were several men, mostly with family members or SO's. The cheese plate seemed to be a fav that the men seemed to be ordering.

Fastpasssteve
03-30-2011, 12:05 AM
In the group of guys I vacation with, I am gay and two are straight as an arrow. We all love it and make it a priority reservation each time we go down.

Why?

Because good food is good food, no matter where and how they serve it.

Good service is appreciated by all.

We are not threatened by curtains with a flower on it. It is as I remember several tea houses in England. Comfy and cozy doesn't automatically mean girly. You said your husband is from England. He is probably used to this kind of setting. Don't fret.

One of my friends will 'make time' with any woman, no matter her age or nationality. So, tea is just one more opportunity to be 'friendly' with the girls.

You're on vacation. One travels to find things differently...otherwise you'd stay at home. Variety is the spice of life. I can get a 'brewski' with the guys anytime anywhere...I can't always find a lovely tea service like this.

Those men who run screaming from such a lovely Afternoon Tea...well...'Me thinks they doth protest too much." ;)

AllDisney
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Well said Fastpasssteve:cloud9:

mickeys_princess_mom
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
We love it. Going back in May. We often see couples, and the gentlemen always seem comfortable. :mickey:

UCJen
04-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks everyone!

I'm happy to see other men enjoyed this.

I see lots of things he will like, plus, he likes the GF.

I was worried that it would be stuffy with prissy ladies who lunch, but everyone's comments put me at ease. :mickey:

I am really looking forward to this.