PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Journey Question

Narawen
03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
A last-minute trip with family has come up and I'll be going to Universal for the first time in a few weeks. I'm a huge HP fan so of course I want to ride the Forbidden Journey.

I've seen a lot of things about putting bags in lockers, and some people saying they have to sit on their flip flops in this ride since they're scared of losing them if they wear them. Are all these rules just because universal doesn't have storage compartments in their ride vehicles like Disney, or does Forbidden Journey go upside down or something?

I've always been really nervous about going upside down, won't go on RNRC at Disney, and panicked the first time I rode E:E because it felt like we went upside down, even though I know we didn't. Please tell me I can ride Forbidden Journey.

WDWfanatic742
03-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I've never been on the ride, but it doesn't actually flip your over. It might tip you backwards and it might feel like you do, but you don't. Alot like Everest now that I think about it...

Universal is really strict on the not bringing things on rides with you rule (especially on MiB). The ride doesn't flip you over, but it will toss you around. I'd be shocked if they let you bring bags on the ride, and they will ask you to get out line to put your belongings into a locker if you try it.

Lockers are free at Universal (Only at the rides that require you to use them) for the time of the wait posted plus a few extra minutes giving you enough time to ride and get your items back for free.

Maleficent's Dad
03-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I've seen a lot of things about putting bags in lockers, and some people saying they have to sit on their flip flops in this ride since they're scared of losing them if they wear them. Are all these rules just because universal doesn't have storage compartments in their ride vehicles like Disney, or does Forbidden Journey go upside down or something?
Forbidden Journey does not have storage compartments. It is a 4 seat open ride - meaning there's nothing in front of you to obstruct the view. There are lockers at the queue's entrance to store your things (free and you pick up your stuff after the ride). The ride is on a hydraulic arm - four seats attached to this arm (think of the arm in the Sum of All Thrills). It's moving and it tosses you about. While you never completely flip over, you do go up and are at least parallel to the ground (you might even be past parallel). It's quite the sensation; you do not flip over.

Narawen
03-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks!

Melanie
03-25-2011, 11:25 PM
I rode for the second time last week, and was totally paranoid about losing my flip flops. The first time I rode was in January and had sneakers on. That's no joke - you don't go upside down, but you are certainly tossed all around. It's intense! I was very aware at all times that my flip flop was going to go flying at some point. Crazy!

DisneyFr33k
03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I had a fanny pack on and was able to wear it during the ride. I wouldn't wear flip-flops!

MaxPower
03-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Also note that the storage lockers are at the beginning of the queue and then you walk through a lot of line before you actually get to the ride vehicles. In other words, the storage lockers are at the front, the ride is at the back and you will be away from your belongings for quite a bit of time if you use the lockers. I saw one girl who planned on storing her flip flops but then realized she would be barefoot for the next hour in the queue.

magicalmom
03-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Take off your flip flops before you board, and secure them - a caribiner clip on a belt loop would do it - your feet will be dangling and the seat does swing and turn. You can also hold them.

WDWfanatic742
03-26-2011, 03:36 PM
I saw one girl who planned on storing her flip flops but then realized she would be barefoot for the next hour in the queue.

Ew...

I could see sitting on the flip flops while riding, but walking through that LONG queue barefoot would just be nasty.

NJGIRL
03-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Lockers are free at Universal (Only at the rides that require you to use them) for the time of the wait posted plus a few extra minutes giving you enough time to ride and get your items back for free.

This is what is supposed to happen, but don't count on it. Both times I rode FB we got a locker, went directly in line, rode, went directly back to the locker and had to pay. Both times it said that we were over the alotted time. :(

WDWfanatic742
03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I can imagine that happening from time to time. It's such a complex system to begin with, then you add in that maybe they have to stop the ride a few minutes for whatever reason or some fluke happens.

joonyer
03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
This is what is supposed to happen, but don't count on it. Both times I rode FB we got a locker, went directly in line, rode, went directly back to the locker and had to pay. Both times it said that we were over the alotted time. :(

That's happened to us a couple of times also, but we found a cast member, or whatever they're called at Universal, and they opened our locker with no charge.

DizneyFreak2002
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I have a question regarding Forbidden Journey... Is the ride still off limits to those "bigger" guests??? I read and heard, when the ride first opened, that taller and chubbier guests weren't allowed on the ride due to the seats being too small and the harnesses not being able to fit... Is this still holding true or did Universal fix this??

NJGIRL
03-27-2011, 12:00 AM
That's happened to us a couple of times also, but we found a cast member, or whatever they're called at Universal, and they opened our locker with no charge.

I never even thought of that. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
03-27-2011, 12:02 AM
I have a question regarding Forbidden Journey... Is the ride still off limits to those "bigger" guests??? I read and heard, when the ride first opened, that taller and chubbier guests weren't allowed on the ride due to the seats being too small and the harnesses not being able to fit... Is this still holding true or did Universal fix this??

I heard that this has been corrected, but I don't know for sure. I heard that they changed out a few seats, but not from an offical source.

WDWfanatic742
03-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Last I heard, they were replacing/changing some of restraints so more people will be able to ride. I don't think they were doing all of them though...

Melanie
03-27-2011, 05:14 AM
From what I understood, each section of four seats has had one seat modified for larger guests. That seat is on the end.

buzznwoodysmom
03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
In March we took off our flip flops and put them behind or under us. I don't think I would have been able to hold them onto my feet and still enjoy the ride. I'd imagine you'd have to be aware and actively trying to keep them on your feet.

buzznwoodysmom
03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
I rode for the second time last week, and was totally paranoid about losing my flip flops. The first time I rode was in January and had sneakers on. That's no joke - you don't go upside down, but you are certainly tossed all around. It's intense! I was very aware at all times that my flip flop was going to go flying at some point. Crazy!

Mel, how did you handle the ride this time??? Was it better for you than the first time? I remember you saying it made you a bit sick for the rest of the day. Glad to see you rode it again!

DH rode for the first time in March. I didn't realize that we hadn't really filled him in on the ride. He wasn't with us on our Oct. trip. When we got off he was really impressed and a bit disoriented.

I love this ride. I would love if WDW put something like it in their parks. Actually I wish WDW had snatched up WWOHP so we'd never have to leave our "bubble" while in Disney. My boys are obcessed with this part of the park and I imagine we'll have to visit Universal from now on when we take our WDW trips.

PirateLover
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
There is a small storage bin actually in the seat that opens up. You can fit a pair of sunglasses and a cell phone in it and maybe a wallet if I'm remembering correctly? But all of your big items will need to go in the locker. We had some pretty lengthy wait times last summer and never got stuck being charged. Now forgetting the locker number/combination....:blush:

Melanie
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Mel, how did you handle the ride this time??? Was it better for you than the first time? I remember you saying it made you a bit sick for the rest of the day. Glad to see you rode it again!

Ahhh, I'm just seeing this Denise. Sorry! I did enjoy it much better this time. You know, thinking back to the first time, it was after a long WDW marathon weekend where we'd been up every morning by 4am for 3 days straight, then gone, gone, gone and I was beat. I'm sure my body was 'off' because of that and therefore all those simulator type rides all at once just shocked the system. This time we rode Forbidden Journey, then Spiderman and even Mummy over at US (incredible ride) and I didn't get sick at all. I was more worried about the flip flops. lol! Won't make that mistake next time.

Mogie
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
The ride doesnt flip you upside down or anything, but it does twist and dip you around fairly violently to the point where loose change, cell phones, cameras etc WILL fall out of your pockets. I lost all the change out of my pockets and my GF lost her Cell Phone on the ride.

Luckily, Universal's lost and found was very helpful. If you lose something on the ride, go to the lost and found by the park entrance, describe what you lost, they will take your information down and you can either pick it up when they find it or they will mail it to any address you want for free !