PDA

View Full Version : Questions on bringing a "Newbie"

WDWCrazyKaren
03-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Ok, we've been to the world many times. DH and DD are pros as well. Here's the thing. Bringing my step-daughter, who will be 21 next winter, for her very first time. We know we will have a ball, and she knows that WE know what we are doing and is leaving the planning up to us. Here's the thing. We are big time carnivores. Love's us our meat. Steak, ribs, chicken...we don't care. If it's meat, we eat it. Stepdaughter is a vegetarian. I know that most restaurants in the world cater to all types of requests, and pretty much every place you go has vegetarian options. BUT...she's a PICKY vegetarian! She doesn't really eat a lot of fruits or vegetables. Lots of breads and cheeses though! Is she going to be stuck eating cheese pizza and mozzarella sticks for a week? She does enjoy the stir fry/tofu/rice type things, so I'm guessing we can find a few dishes at Epcot for her, but I'm worried about other places.

Thoughts from other PICKY vegetarians? Who don't eat many fruits or vegetables? :confused:

faline
03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Since your question is all about dining, I'm going to move you over to that forum.

I'd suggest, though, that you have her go through the menus of the restaurants where you normally dine to see if she can find things that will appeal to her. She can also look at menus of other venues and maybe you'll all get to try something new.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Does she eat seafood?

Granny Jill A
03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I realize you are trying to make her first time extra special, but she's 21 not 2 :D.

I'm wondering how someone can be a vegetarian and not eat fruits or veggies. ;)

DisneyMom12
03-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Since your question is all about dining, I'm going to move you over to that forum.

I'd suggest, though, that you have her go through the menus of the restaurants where you normally dine to see if she can find things that will appeal to her. She can also look at menus of other venues and maybe you'll all get to try something new.

That's a great idea.

McLiberal8
03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
I guess I would also fall into a picky vegetarian catagory - there are plently of veggies I don't care for. I don't like peppers, or squash, or cucumbers. I am also not a big fan of carrots, and don't really like salads.

I hope she is careful about it, though. She can't just go without veggies completely. She needs to get those leafy greens in, for iron!

There are plently of choices for veggies at the parks. My faves include the tofu noodle bowl at the Tommorrowland Noodle Station or the Lighthouse sandwich (hummus) at the Columbia Harbor House in MK.
In Epcot, there is plently, including some great cheese empenadas at a cart right outside of Canada, and a vegetarian shephard's pie at the Rose and Crown in the UK. Also, check out Sunshine Seasons. TONS of veggie stuff there.

AK and Hollywood are a bit harder, but I love the shrimp pasta (minus the shrimp) at the Sci Fi Drive In, and the veggie burger at Rosie's is good too.

In all honesty, I am not a big AK fan, so I have never stuck around long enough there to eat a meal.

Also, check out the 'grown up' grilled cheese at Cpt. Cooks at the Polynesian.
Buffets are always good, too. You can ask to speak with the chef at any sitdown resturant and they have never hesitated in making me whatever I request.
This is all I could think of, for now :)

ElenitaB
03-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Each TS restaurant has at least one veg entree and they aren't always a stirfry (thank goodness because I'm not a fan). A few restaurants have separate menus which is why you may not see them posted online. Even 'Ohana will make a dish for your veg SD.

There are veggie burgers all over the place (and even the rolls are better now). So even if she's a vegetarian who doesn't like veggies, there are plenty of choices around.

UCJen
03-31-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm kind of picky vegetarian, too. I hate raw tomatoes, cucumbers, berries. But I love tropical fruits and most veggies.

Here are my standbys: the Vegetable Platter at the Tangierine Cafe. It's a falafel sandwich, with marinated green olives, hummus, lentil salas, couscous salad, Fattoush (which I don't touch), and bread. It's a load of food and it's tasty.

In France, I go to the bakery and get the cheese plate and the baguette.Voila! Instant lunch. At Norway, they have a goat cheese and potato quiche/tart thing in the bakery.

At Kouzzina, I get the Spiced Briami. I would liken it to a Greek version of Ratatouille. It's served on a bed of orzo. (I know you said she doesn't like veggies, but there's eggplant in this dish. It has a "meaty" texture.)

There's a tofu noodle soup dish in Sunshine Seasons.

(And the avocado margaritas are veggie, too. She's 21, right? ;))

Honestly, she will not struggle to find a good veggie meal. I like salads, but I can't eat them everyday and I don't when I'm on vacation.