PDA

View Full Version : Drink the monorail resorts...

DunkieKong
03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if dining or accommodations is the correct forum for this but here goes...

A few years back on one of our many trips to the world, we thought it would be fun to hop on the monorail and have a drink at each of the monorail resorts. We started at the poly and made our way to the grand floridian and contemporary after enjoying a cocktail. It turned out to be a ton off fun and we will keep up this tradition on our next trip.

I was explaining this to some friends today who basically scoffed at me and thought it was a waste of time and money. I was just curious if this was something that anyone else has done?

Dsnygirl
03-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Well, we haven't done it yet, but we certainly plan on it!! :thumbsup: And I have heard of a LOT of people who have done it... similar to "drinking around the World", I've heard it called the "Monorail Crawl" and quite a few other things. I think it'd be really fun, as long as you didn't get carried away... or needed to be carried away.... ;) ... I think your friend is just missing out. Have fun on your next trip, enjoying it again!

SBETigg
03-24-2011, 09:52 PM
We've done the monorail pub crawl! It's a fun way to spend an evening for us. We take our time at each resort. Tambu Lounge, Mizner's Lounge, and California Grill or the Wave, depending on how late we get to the Contemporary. The friends who scoffed obviously just don't share your sense of adventure. :thumbsup:

dizne4me
03-25-2011, 06:22 AM
I like it. I think we'll make this a must do on our next trip. Thanks for the idea!

pox24
03-25-2011, 09:24 AM
My DW and I do it all the time. We mix it up a little by doing a Martini loop, Margerita loop, and so forth. We tried it at the World Showcase too. Can't remeber how we got back to the Boardwalk that night. Anyway its a great rainy day thing to do as well. :marg:

JanetMegan
03-25-2011, 09:55 AM
If it is a nice day/evening the pool bar at the Contemp serves up a nice drink and has quite the character as the usual bartender ;)

DunkieKong
03-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely feel a little better now. I knew there'd be others out there who shared my enthusiasm for this trek. I definitely think I will be calling it the Monorail Crawl from now on. That name is spot on.

Emme&TeddysMommy
03-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Sounds like fun! I might have to give it a try, in May on my girls only weekend trip. No husband and no kids.

faline
03-25-2011, 08:38 PM
There's someone out there who sells cards you can have "signed" at each stop that memorializes your drinks around the monorail.

awaggett
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
We've done it several times. A few years back we did it after dinner at Victoria & Albert's (with the wine pairing). I have some great pictures of us very tipsy riding up front with the monorail driver at 1 am!

pamickeys
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
we usually end up doing it, but it wasn't on purpose. we'll have to remember that there is a name for it now.

wildernesslady
03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a blast to me.

Pop Centurion
03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Pretty cool idea. I think I'll do this on a non park day since we'll be going to the Poly for dinner anyway.

Somebody should start an "Official Monorail Crawl" thread so we can all share when, where, & what we had. Just a thought.

DryCreek
03-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Don't forget, if you're "crawling" at night, some of the best non-standard views of the evening fireworks can be had from the top of the Contemporary (cold beer in hand) or on the pier at the Poly (cold beer in hand) or at Grand Floridian (cold beer in hand).
OK, I don't remember ever catching the fireworks at the GF, but you can get a cold beer there.
My favorite is still on top of the Contemporary (cold beer in hand).

TysMomTink
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a great time to me!

DunkieKong
03-29-2011, 06:30 PM
As an add on to this discussion, what would be considered the signature drink for each hotel? I always order a Lapu Lapu at the Poly, you know, the whole island theme, but what other drinks would you suggest for the other two resorts? Do the Contemporary and the GF have their own "classic" drinks? Just a thought...

SuzieBell
03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
As an add on to this discussion, what would be considered the signature drink for each hotel? I always order a Lapu Lapu at the Poly, you know, the whole island theme, but what other drinks would you suggest for the other two resorts? Do the Contemporary and the GF have their own "classic" drinks? Just a thought...

Great Idea!! I'm definately going to try that! In 73 days!! :D I do have Lapu Lapu down to try one night - what's 2 more? I'll post when I get back! Anybody have any suggestions?

EllieMae
03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Sounds like fun, I've had drinks at the Poly :papple: and at GF but not at the Contemporary. Last trip we got our Drink Around The World passports filled, looks like this time we will need to do the Monorail Crawl! :beer:

DryCreek
03-29-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure if there is an officially sanctioned drink for each stop, but I would assume that a Mint Julip would be in order for the Grand Floridian, a Mai Tai (or Blue Hawaiian) for the Poly and a Cosmopolitan for the Contemporary.

Oh, and don't forget that you can get ice cold beer at any of those stops too!

XX, and a Blue Moon for me! can I get that to go?

Fastpasssteve
03-30-2011, 12:14 AM
It might be a nice way to end an evening of monorail imbibing to make the Grand Floridian the last stop. They have live music playing there in the evenings. Sitting in the lobby having a drink or twelve while listening to the wonderful band or concert pianist would be just lovely. :yes:

Gregandmel
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
What a GREAT idea!!! We are totally doing that our next trip! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
03-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Sounds great!!!:mickey:

MOJoe
03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
It might be a nice way to end an evening of monorail imbibing to make the Grand Floridian the last stop. They have live music playing there in the evenings. Sitting in the lobby having a drink or twelve while listening to the wonderful band or concert pianist would be just lovely. :yes:

This sounds like a plan to me. But, what time does the music end at the Grand Flo? If i time this right, can i start at the Contemp, see MK fireworks from the Poly and then wind up with orchestra music at the GF, before heading back to the WL? Man that would be nice! And for sure, something my wife would enjoy as well. ;)