PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass Help and Perks info

mouseketeer mom
03-24-2011, 07:47 PM
We have 8 day hoppers for our upcoming trip. Thinking it makes financial sense to upgrade to AP as we are back again in July, and of course, will have another trip within the year. So, its my understanding that I upgrade at Guest Services at park entrance. MUST I do it the first day? I don't think I want to, we will be hopping to the park in the late evening when we arrive, don't want to spend time at Guest Services that night, but will be using our tkts. Also, what are the current benefits offered with AP? And would I be able to use say, the dining discount if offered right away after I upgrade?

KylesMom
03-24-2011, 08:24 PM
MUST I do it the first day? I don't think I want to, we will be hopping to the park in the late evening when we arrive, don't want to spend time at Guest Services that night, but will be using our tkts. Nope, no need to do it the first day. You can enjoy your evening & go to Guest Services at any park (or DTD) to upgrade. Do be aware that both DH and yourself will need to be present & show photo ID when you're ready to convert. Your oldest is 16, right? It's my understanding that your A/P will be activated back to the date that you first used your 8-day parkhopper pass.

Once you upgrade, they'll take the parkhpper days off of your Keys to the World card & you'll each get the mylar A/P passes. Once you have those, you can begin utilizing your A/P discounts immediately.

Knowing your family, it might be a good idea for you to take a look at the TiW card which is good for 20% off TS dining versus the 10% A/P discounts good for mostly lunches. The TiW card would be good for your family for appetizers, entrees's, desserts, specialty beverages, and adult beverages at participating restaurants, and it costs $75 for all of you. There are also a few CS restaurants thrown in there, namely at AK. Knowing that you have another trip in July, and knowing your dining habits, it may pay off big time for you. You'd purchase that at the same time you upgrade your cards. :mickey:

Fangorn
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
If you are planning on being in the parks for more than about 12 days within a 366 day period, the annual pass is a better financial choice.

You can upgrade your current tickets to APs at any Guest Services window at any of the parks or at Downtown Disney. It doesn't take very long to do it. You can upgrade your ticket anytime withing 14 days of the tickets first use. So in your scenario, yes, you can use your 8day hopper that first night and then upgrade to AP the next day. The cost will be the same. If you do use the hopper ticket prior to upgrading to an AP, the AP will expire one year from the first use of the ticket, not from the date you upgraded.

As for benefits, when you get your AP, you will be given a little booklet with the current discounts. You can also find this info on the Disney website.

Steve

mouseketeer mom
03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Nope, no need to do it the first day. You can enjoy your evening & go to Guest Services at any park (or DTD) to upgrade. Do be aware that both DH and yourself will need to be present & show photo ID when you're ready to convert. Your oldest is 16, right? It's my understanding that your A/P will be activated back to the date that you first used your 8-day parkhopper pass.

Once you upgrade, they'll take the parkhpper days off of your Keys to the World card & you'll each get the mylar A/P passes. Once you have those, you can begin utilizing your A/P discounts immediately.

Knowing your family, it might be a good idea for you to take a look at the TiW card which is good for 20% off TS dining versus the 10% A/P discounts good for mostly lunches. The TiW card would be good for your family for appetizers, entrees's, desserts, specialty beverages, and adult beverages at participating restaurants, and it costs $75 for all of you. There are also a few CS restaurants thrown in there, namely at AK. Knowing that you have another trip in July, and knowing your dining habits, it may pay off big time for you. You'd purchase that at the same time you upgrade your cards. :mickey:

Carol,
This is a big help. I am upgrading to AP, already applied it to room, I don't really totally get the Tables in Wonderland card. Is it for AP people only? Is it good at most table service places in WDW? All meal times? Any counter service discounts?

KylesMom
03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't really totally get the Tables in Wonderland card. Is it for AP people only? Is it good at most table service places in WDW? All meal times? Any counter service discounts?
It's only available to Florida Residents and A/P holders. It's good for most Disney-run TS restaurants & lounges as well as a few CS restaurants - predominantly where TS meals are not available (see here): Tables in Wonderland (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp).

Where the TiW card leaves off at several of the restaurants, the A/P will give you a 10% off at many others (Yak & Yeti, T-Rex, etc). However, with just the three of us, we typically save $250+ per trip with the TiW card. It's a rarity that we use the A/P for actual dining discounts. DH and I enjoy cocktails with dinner - and for a beer, glass of wine or a LapuLapu (:D), the discount really helps out in our dining & beverage budget. Granted, there is an autumatic 18% gratuity placed in there, but that's pretty much a given at any of the decent Disney TS places out there.

There are blackout dates (major holidays) and certain instances such as Fantasmic! dinner package where the discounts don't apply, but I really think it may be a good value for your family. Definitely check it out! :papple:

One other thing you need to be aware of - at check-in, if you're applying an A/P discount, they may ask to see your A/P right away due to folks abusing the policy. If that happens, you may be obligated to go get your passes at that time - or show your pass to Concierce upon return at the end of the evening. Many of the CMs will be forgiving and ask you to return to show your A/P, but official Disney policy states that you'll need to show your A/P upon check-in / similar to AAA room-only discount. I just want you to be prepared if that happens!

mouseketeer mom
03-25-2011, 06:15 AM
We are a few nights at CR before our switch to the Poly on the 25th., so I will have AP's on hand until then. The discount doesn't start until the 25th, so that worked out for our Poly stay. I'm going to check out the TIW card link now. I had to laugh at your replies to me, especially the first., I think you "get us" and our vacationing style very, very well!!! How'd ja do that??!! Haha!

mouseketeer mom
03-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Also...Is one TIW card valid for the whole family or do we all need one?? Too bad Easter is blacked out, we have a big TS day that day, both Chef Mickeys and Ohanas...Still, we'll come out ahead very quickly.

WRWDisney
03-25-2011, 08:43 AM
It applies to the purchaser and up to nine guests at your table. It is also good for 13 months (I believe in your case it will be good until April 30, 2012), so you should be able to use it on all three trips you have planned.

Another AP perk if you happen to stay off-site, is free parking.

Have a great trip:mickey:

luvDaMouse
03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey Lisa!
I also got A/Ps last year and the TIW card. We used the TIW in Dec and will use it again this October. My A/Ps will expire this May and I am trying to decide to renew for October or just get hoppers? but I can still use my TIW card. By the way I used the A/Ps for shopping discounts too! I used it at WOD and at the emporium. :)
Dana:mickey: