PDA

View Full Version : Aunt Polly's Dockside Inn

Goofster
03-24-2011, 12:48 PM
So what's the story on this? During our last trip a few weeks ago, we were on the Island and stopped by to get some ice cream, but it was closed up tight. Is it still open, but just seasonally? Seemed like a waste to have it closed.

afowl1017
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I think it is closed now, but I would love for it to open back up. What a neat place to have a snack!

johnO
03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
We always go in the off season and therefore never see it open.

Figment!
03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
"officially", I believe it is still on seasonal operation, but it has not been operating for quite some time.

As of July 2010, its operation was reportedly supplemented by two Coca-Cola Vending Machines.

RBrooksC
03-24-2011, 02:03 PM
I have heard and read in numerous places that Aunt Polly's is no longer open, seasonally or not.

faline
03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
We were there in late July/early August which should be the season - not open - Haven't seen it open in forevery and a day!

KylesMom
03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Same here - when DS was younger, it was a great place to grab a PB&J and a lemonade for him.

I can't tell you how many summers its been since we've seen it open . . .

RBrooksC
03-24-2011, 02:16 PM
This could most likely be a function of economics. This counter service was limited to the people it would serve. It could only serve those who went over to TSI and then from those people only those who wanted to purchase something. So, let's say that only 1/4 of the guests went to TSI on any given day and only 1/4 of those decided to purchase something. That is a very small amount of people making a purchase there. And when you factor in all the costs associated in running something like that, it would make sense to close it.

Checkers
03-24-2011, 02:51 PM
There was a time it was a must do for our family. We would go over and have delicious sandwiches served with great dill pickles. We would also get wonderful milkshakes, too. We were all very sad to see it turned into a shell of itself and now it is no longer. Just another "something a little different" taken away.:(

Goofster
03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Well that's a bummer. Since it was no longer marked on the Guide Map, I figured the news would be bad. I guess just another Disney memory that I won't get to share with my kids. :(

I don't mind when an attraction is replaced with something new, but to close something like that and just leave it shuttered...just bothers me a bit.

JPL
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
It hasn't been open in quite some time I believe the last time I heard it was open was in 2007. However it is technically listed as Seasonal so maybe some day we will see it open again.

Scott C
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
I guess that we should add that to the list with the Diamond Horseshoe and the Adventureland Veranda as abandoned dining spots on that side of the MK..........

Thanks
Scott C

KylesMom
03-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I guess that we should add that to the list with the Diamond Horseshoe
Ah, but the Diamond Horseshoe is open quite frequently in the summertime when we've been in attendance - sans the entertainment, but you can still grab sandwiches there.

BrerSchultzy
03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
We were very disappointed this past summer when we got to Aunt Polly's, only to find two coke machines. We were then even more disappointed when neither coke machine worked. It used to be such a great place to have a meal, watching the riverboat go by. The only place you could eat in peace in all of the Magic Kingdom.

Next thing you'll tell me they're closing the upstairs section of Columbia Harbor House.

Goofster
03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I guess that we should add that to the list with the Diamond Horseshoe and the Adventureland Veranda as abandoned dining spots on that side of the MK..........

Thanks
Scott C

The loss of entertainment at Diamond Horseshoe is a shame. I remember when I used to see the some of the performers on stage during lunchtime and then at River Country entertaining guests along the beach area later in the day.

The Veranda is a big loss. Though its open on occasion for grab n go meals during peak times, Adventureland could really use its own restaurant again to take the pressure off of Peco's Bill.

PirateLover
03-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Aunt Polly's has never been open when we've ventured over there in the past 5 years. The last two times were late June, which would definitely fall into the "season" that it should be open. Bummer!

Victor Kelly
03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Just like the Oddessey restaurant in EPCOT.

It is a shame that so many eateries are closed. Frontierland only has 1 restaurant Pecos Bills which kinda shares Adventureland's guests.

Other than that it is Columbia Harbor House and Liberty Tree Tavern but they are table service. The next closest eatery is in Fantasyland at Pinochio's

joonyer
03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Having Aunt Polly's shut down is a real shame. Do they at least still have the rocking chairs on the porch/dock? That has always been one of our favorite relaxin' spots.

Sylvia
03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Just like the Oddessey restaurant in EPCOT.

Other than that it is Columbia Harbor House and Liberty Tree Tavern but they are table service. The next closest eatery is in Fantasyland at Pinochio's

I really miss Odyssey - it was our favorite for a long time, until it was closed.

Columbia Harbor House is counter service; it just looks like a table service place. And, I hope they NEVER close the second floor seating area - great place to relax and have a quiet meal.

Goofster
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
And, I hope they NEVER close the second floor seating area - great place to relax and have a quiet meal.

I agree completely.

#1donaldfan
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
We too found it very disappointing several years ago to find it closed, replaced by those vending machines....very much wasted space IMHO !!! I researched the menu's, found a great sandwich, patiently awaited my visit, forged my way through waves of people, (mid July), boarded a raft, traversed the terrain on the island, and finally located my long awaited oasis to find two drink machines.....:cool:

TinkerBell-Bell
03-29-2011, 07:39 PM
What I think is most saddening is that they've just left it there, shuttered up. In WDW, it's just so, odd. You'd have thought that if they weren't planning on reopening it, they'd have gotten rid of it, whereas if they were, they'd have left it looking nicer. Looks a bit like river country does now :/