PDA

View Full Version : Quesstion about park entry

Silver_Surfer
03-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I've read that in the summer when the parks get really busy the gates close. Usually how long does the gates stay closed? Do they let the resort guess still enter the parks? The lines of people must be insane at these times. Thanks!:thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-24-2011, 12:19 PM
It can happen, but it is actually fairly rare that Disney has to close a park, and it usually happens around the holiday, like Easter, Christmas & 4th of July.

There are a number of different "stages" of closing, first they close the parking lots, then they stop selling tickets,etc. (I am sure someone will be along with the exact details). Resort guests with tickets are one of the last groups let into the parks before closing.

Once they are closed, it all had to do with numbers, once enough people have left, more can be let it.

But, I know I don't want to be anywhere near a full park, just WAY to busy!

Polynesian Dweller
03-24-2011, 12:19 PM
The answer is a bit complicated since the parks close in phases and stay at that phase until enough peoole leave. That can be very short like an hour or longer like several hours. Depends completely on the crowds and whether people leave. Here are the phases.

Disney World Closing Phases

Phase I: Guests with non-hopper-type Magic Your Way base tickets or Single Day/Single Park Tickets, guests without admission, and Cast Members using certain types of CM admission are turned away at the entrances to the parking lots.

Phase II: Disney Resort guests, Annual/Premium Annual Passholders, guests with park hopper tickets, and guests re-entering the same park on the same day are admitted, but only if they arrive using Disney resort transportation or a taxi. MK guests with reservations for dining, Bibbidi Boppiti Boutique or Pirates League will also be admitted.

Phase III: Disney Resort guests and Annual/Premium Annual passholders are admitted; however, they must arrive using Disney resort transportation. MK guests with reservations for dining, Bibbidi Boppiti Boutique or Pirates League will also be admitted.

Phase IV: The parks are closed to all incoming guests. There is no incoming transportation of any kind.

Silver_Surfer
03-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Thank You!

paragon
03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
The answer is a bit complicated since the parks close in phases and stay at that phase until enough peoole leave. That can be very short like an hour or longer like several hours. Depends completely on the crowds and whether people leave. Here are the phases.

Disney World Closing Phases

Phase I: Guests with non-hopper-type Magic Your Way base tickets or Single Day/Single Park Tickets, guests without admission, and Cast Members using certain types of CM admission are turned away at the entrances to the parking lots.

Phase II: Disney Resort guests, Annual/Premium Annual Passholders, guests with park hopper tickets, and guests re-entering the same park on the same day are admitted, but only if they arrive using Disney resort transportation or a taxi. MK guests with reservations for dining, Bibbidi Boppiti Boutique or Pirates League will also be admitted.

Phase III: Disney Resort guests and Annual/Premium Annual passholders are admitted; however, they must arrive using Disney resort transportation. MK guests with reservations for dining, Bibbidi Boppiti Boutique or Pirates League will also be admitted.

Phase IV: The parks are closed to all incoming guests. There is no incoming transportation of any kind.

Does anyone know the numbers on these phases, what the capacity insde the parks are at to make each phase?
Also, whenever I have gone into a park with a dining reservation, all that was ever asked was to see my key to the kingdom card, and I'm in-they don't seem to have an actual listing of who has a reservation, so how do they know??

BrerGnat
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know the numbers on these phases, what the capacity insde the parks are at to make each phase?
Also, whenever I have gone into a park with a dining reservation, all that was ever asked was to see my key to the kingdom card, and I'm in-they don't seem to have an actual listing of who has a reservation, so how do they know??

Disney doesn't release these kinds of numbers, so one can only guess.

I believe now there is a separate entry gate for those with ADRs. They do ask for your ADR confirmation number now and compare it to a list, I believe. However, having an ADR does not get you entry into a park that is closed. In that case, it's "too bad".

And, just to further the discussion, they don't allow line ups at the gate when the parks are closed. They actually stop transporting guests to the MK. Monorails don't allow boarding at the TTC Express loop; they only pick up from the MK and bring guests out of the park. Buses stop going to MK; but continue bringing guests OUT. Buses at the resorts reroute guests to other theme parks.

We were there last year when the MK closed three days due to capacity (week before Easter). There were signs up at the resort bus stop as well as a CM letting guests know that MK was closed, and directing them to AK and Epcot (the largest parks).

When the parks have emptied out considerably, they open back up, but it takes several hours usually.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
We've been three times, once during New Year's week and twice during Christmas and the only park that reached the final phase was MK...does anyone remember any other park closing?

WDWfanatic742
03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
This last holiday there weren't too many closings. Maybe a couple. The year before there were like ten different closings in the week between Christmas and New Years.

awaggett
03-25-2011, 08:47 PM
At Christmas in 2006 AK was not letting folks into the parking lots and were re-directing to Epcot. My folks had dropped us off early and came back around noon to meet us. They let them in as our party was split. Trust me, it was super crowded that day!

Polynesian Dweller
03-25-2011, 10:02 PM

If the park isn't closed they front gate doesn't care about your ADR. An ADR does not give admission to the park only a valid ticket (on your KTTW card) provides park admission. This is also true when the park is closed. When the park is closed you will also require the ADR for admission to meet that criterion.