PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC

IamaDisneyFan
03-22-2011, 09:09 AM
My husband and I are going to Charleston at the end of next month for our anniversary. We are staying 3 nights outside Charleston in Summerville (we don't mind driving). We want to hit the beach some and walk around some. We have gone 1 other time and we walked along the waterfront, but could only stay a couple of hours.

So, I turn to the experts! What do you recommend we see and do? We want to keep things inexpensive as much as we can. We are thinking that 1 nice dinner would be good, then the rest is "counter service". Nice = 1 sit down dinner in Disney. We are casual people, most comfortable in jeans/shorts and t-shirts.

TIA :mickey:

medic9016
03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
California Dreaming Restaurant
843-766-1644
1 Ashley Point Dr
Charleston, SC 29407

Plenty of shops downtown. There is tons to do. You can go tour patriots point or the H.L. Hunley confederate submarine. Charleston Riverdogs minor league baseball.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Slightly North Of Broad and Poogan's Porch are our favorites to eat at.

Take a ghost walk, carriage ride, Fort Sumter, shop on King Street, marketplace, go to Kiawah and see the gators.

Ramblingman
04-28-2011, 01:12 PM
We lived in Goose Creek from 1996-2000. Poogan's Porch is very nice, but for our anniversary one year, I took my wife just down the street from there to 82 Queen (it's also the address as well as the name). It's a lovely house turned into a restaurant with each room decorated in different ways. One will be colonial while another will be French. They have their own label of wine and the She Crab Soup was always voted Best In Charleston. There is a great courtyard if the weather permits.

Congratulations and enjoy!

joonyer
04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
If you like seafood and a casual/family style atmosphere, I'd recommend Toast or Hyman's. Both are downtown.

disney397
05-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Just returned from a wedding @ The Planters Inn. Amazing food - the onsite restaurant is the Peninsula Grill, best coconut cake ever. Also attended a baseball game (great fun & inexpensive). ate @ Sticky Fingers as well as local favorite Jestines. Sweetwater cafe is also good. Toast has good food & drink (home of the bottomless Mimosa) as well as a great staff. CARTA provides free transportation if you get tire of walking...

IamaDisneyFan
05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions! We ended up going extremely casual and went to Sticky Fingers, Wet Willies, and OCharlies and enjoyed each of those places. We loved the many flavors of frozen alcohol laced beverages at Wet Willies; loved the ribs and sauces at Sticky Fingers; loved the casual atmosphere and good food at OCharlies. So much for trying out the "southern flavor". Maybe next time...:mickey:

Melanie
05-23-2011, 09:42 AM
The Charleston Sticky Fingers was the first one we ever went to, and now we hit one up whenever we see one. Good choice and it's a great location in Charleston.

I wish I'd seen this before, as I'd have recommended Bubba Gump's as well.

What did you end up doing touristy?

LOVE Charleston!

IamaDisneyFan
05-23-2011, 08:19 PM
We walked! A LOT!! We parked at the Battery and walked up to and through the French Market. We got these cool hair braiders for the girls, some grits for friends, and sampled fresh taffy. The Market reminded us of the French Quarter in N'awlins, before Katrina. We sat out at the end of a pier near the waterfront park and watched a Carnival cruise ship leave and "The World" ship dock. Very Cool! Then walked back to the car through the park and wandering the cobblestone streets.

We tried to go to the beach at Folly, but it was packed and not what we were looking for. So, we tried Sullivan's Island another day and loved that. We drove through parts of Isle of Palms. Just the coolest name for a town! Being from PA, we were pleasantly surprised to be able to just walk into the ocean. It wasn't cold at all!

Sticky Fingers was by far my favorite place to eat! YUM! We wanted to go back before we left, but ran out of time.