PDA

View Full Version : When to Upgrade Ticket

merlinmagic4
03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello :mickey:

I think we are going to start with a 2 day base ticket for this trip (for many reasons). If we feel we can do a third (or fourth) day, when do we have to add the days to the existing ticket? Can we do it AFTER we have used the two days or does it need to be done BEFORE the original pass is used up? It will be within the 14 day limit.

MickeysBestPal
03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Hello :mickey:

I think we are going to start with a 2 day base ticket for this trip (for many reasons). If we feel we can do a third (or fourth) day, when do we have to add the days to the existing ticket?

Can we do it AFTER we have used the two days or does it need to be done BEFORE the original pass is used up? It will be within the 14 day limit.

You can do it ANY TIME (within those 14 days, if you have started using your ticket.)
AND- it can even sometimes be to your advantage to upgrade -after- you have started using your ticket (at least once) to enter a theme park.
This comes into play if you purchased your ticket at a discount, or before a Disney ticket price increase. But, it can't HURT to use the ticket at least once to enter a theme park before you upgrade, regardless.

Yes, you can even do the upgrade after the ticket has been "all used up."

CleveRocks
03-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Just here to back up everything posted above! :mickey:

minnie04
03-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi Kelly, Im sorry this is way off the post you put up, but how did you get your name in the avatar you have???? I love it and want to add that to my profile..

MILWDIANA
03-25-2011, 12:06 PM
You can do it ANY TIME (within those 14 days, if you have started using your ticket.)
AND- it can even sometimes be to your advantage to upgrade -after- you have started using your ticket (at least once) to enter a theme park.
This comes into play if you purchased your ticket at a discount, or before a Disney ticket price increase. But, it can't HURT to use the ticket at least once to enter a theme park before you upgrade, regardless.

Yes, you can even do the upgrade after the ticket has been "all used up."

Wow! I love this board!! I learn something new every day :mickey:

clausjo
03-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Can you do this even if you have a package? Meaning, we'll be going in October and will be staying for a total of 9 days. I'm on the fence about how many days I should buy tickets for. If I buy a 6 day pass and decide that I want to add 2 more days, I can still do that? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I book the room for 9 days, do I need to buy 9 days worth of tickets?

I've always had an annual pass so I've never needed to think about tickets. But because our circumstances have changed, we won't be renewing our passes this year. :( I want to save as much money as I can, but don't want to pay for days we may not use either.

Fangorn
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Can you do this even if you have a package?

Yes.

If you're on a package, there is a minimum ticket you much purchase. Currently, that is generally a 2 day ticket. Also, with a package, everyone must have the same ticket.

BUT... once you check in, all the restrictions are gone, and each ticket can be upgraded in whatever manner you want, separate from all the rest. (Meaning - if you're going to be there 7 days, but Grandma is only staying for 4, you can upgrade your tickets to 7 days, but Grandma's only to 4 days).

So if you get the 2 day ticket with your package, you can then upgrade once you've checked in to whatever you deem appropriate. You can upgrade more than once if you want to (as long as you're within the 14 days of the initial use of the ticket).

Steve

CleveRocks
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes.

If you're on a package, there is a minimum ticket you much purchase. Currently, that is generally a 2 day ticket.
Nope, the minimum ticket purchase in a package is a 1-day ticket. I think you're probably confusing the requirement for the FREE Disney Dining Plan package ... that had a minimum 2-day ticket requirement.

CleveRocks
03-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Can you do this even if you have a package? Meaning, we'll be going in October and will be staying for a total of 9 days. I'm on the fence about how many days I should buy tickets for. If I buy a 6 day pass and decide that I want to add 2 more days, I can still do that? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I book the room for 9 days, do I need to buy 9 days worth of tickets?

I've always had an annual pass so I've never needed to think about tickets. But because our circumstances have changed, we won't be renewing our passes this year. :( I want to save as much money as I can, but don't want to pay for days we may not use either.

Disney calls their ticket system Magic Your Way because you really can have it your way. You can book a package with a 9-night resort stay and a 1-day ticket, and you can also book a package with a 1-night resort stay and a 9-day ticket. The number of park days on your ticket does not have to have any relationship to your length of stay.

Book your package-based tickets with the smallest number of days you are 100% sure you will use. As Fangorn said, you can upgrade any time you want (within 14 days from your first use of the ticket) and you can upgrade multiple times if you want. In other words, you can use up all 6 days from your 6-day ticket, and then the next day you can add one day to it (for $5 + tax per person), and then the next day if you again want to go to a park you can again pay $5 + tax to add yet another day, and so on.

Fangorn
03-29-2011, 09:18 AM
I think you're probably confusing the requirement for the FREE Disney Dining Plan package ... that had a minimum 2-day ticket requirement.

I'm sure that's it. Thanks for the clarification.

Steve

That's So Raven
04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Ok so I am really interested in this topic. I'm going on my trip in May, but my brother wants me to go back with him in December when he gets back from Afghanistan. I can upgrade my ticket to an annual pass once I'm there right? As long it's within the 14 days?

CleveRocks
04-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok so I am really interested in this topic. I'm going on my trip in May, but my brother wants me to go back with him in December when he gets back from Afghanistan. I can upgrade my ticket to an annual pass once I'm there right? As long it's within the 14 days?

Yes, during your May trip, you can upgrade that ticket to an AP.

The activation date of your AP will be the first day you used that ticket, NOT the day you do the upgrade. In other words, if you check-in at your resort on April 30th and don't go to any parks that day, then you use your ticket to enter a park on May 1, and then on May 7 you upgrade that ticket to an AP, your AP activation date will be May 1.

That's So Raven
04-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks!