PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Dayton, Ohio?

wildernesslady
03-20-2011, 11:21 AM
My daughter in college is doing an internship at Patterson Air Force Base this summer. We just found out this week. She will be starting in the end of May. I'm not familiar with this area at all. I have been to Dresden, Ohio and that's it. Is there anyone who could help with safe places for her to stay during her internship? She is looking in the Wright College area since it is close to the base. Thanks

Figment!
03-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I live about an hour south of the area. I am finishing-up an MBA at Wright State University, so I make the trek up their about twice a week.

I think apartments around the Fairfield Mall area(they'd probably be near North Fairfield Road) would be a little nicer than in in the immediate Wright State University area. Can't say for sure, never having lived in that neck of the woods, but that is my impression from driving around the area.

Wright Patterson Air Force Base has a Housing Office that can be reached at 937-257-6547. They are listed as having temporary housing and apartment guides available.

wildernesslady
03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks so much for your help.

We did know about base housing, but it is a bit expensive for a civilian. My husband and I would prefer it for safety reasons, but she is an adult now and would be paying the rent.

She is signing a lease with the Providence. They lease to college students. She is on the waiting list so hopefully that comes through. Do you know anything about this complex? Are there any areas she should stay away from? She is our baby and the first one to move away like this. I am definitely not handling it well and thought there has to be someone from Intercot to help with advice. Thanks again.

Congrats on getting your MBA.

Figment!
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
... could it be "The Province", I'm not finding anything by the name of Providence. If so, it appears to be a relatively new complex.

In general the area is a safe place; but as with anywhere, just use common sense when out and about.

The Fairfield Mall (properly called the Mall at Fairfield Commons) is a nice mall/shopping area that would be near by. There is a Meijer at the Corner of Zink Rd and Colonel Glen, which would probably be the closest grocery store.

Once she gets there, I'm sure her co-workers can give her the in's and out's of the specific area.

wdwfansince75
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
While WPAFB is a single base, it has two major locations; Wright Field and Patterson field are several miles apart. The major airfield is Patterson Field. Many of the Research and Development and Acquisition functions are based at Wright Field, as is the Air Force Museum, a must see for Airplane nuts. Museum supposedly got its start when a B-36 (which had 6 turbo-prop engines, and 4 jet engines) made an emergency landing at Wright field...and the runway at Wright Field was too short to allow the take off of a B-36....the aircraft was the first one displayed at the museumm!

Scott C
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
My son served his first engineering internship last summer in Valparaiso Indiana. My biggest piece of advise would be to let her do most of the work -- it can also be a great real world learning experience. Another possibility would be to share an apartment with some of the other interns--that brought down the cost quite a bit

Where does she go to school

Good Luck
Scott C

wildernesslady
03-21-2011, 07:04 PM
My son served his first engineering internship last summer in Valparaiso Indiana. My biggest piece of advise would be to let her do most of the work -- it can also be a great real world learning experience. Another possibility would be to share an apartment with some of the other interns--that brought down the cost quite a bit

Where does she go to school

Good Luck
Scott C

She has been on top of it. It is me that is having separation issues. As far as she knows she will be the only new intern at this location. She is hoping to room with a college student at a local college for now. The complex that she is looking at will match up students with similar tastes. She is a student at Penn State which is 3 hrs from home. The internship will be 9 hrs. from home. I can only imagine will she will go after this.

Scott C
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
She has been on top of it. It is me that is having separation issues. As far as she knows she will be the only new intern at this location. She is hoping to room with a college student at a local college for now. The complex that she is looking at will match up students with similar tastes. She is a student at Penn State which is 3 hrs from home. The internship will be 9 hrs. from home. I can only imagine will she will go after this.

Relax - you will live through it, My sons go to Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute Indiana, however my oldest decided to study in Germany this year. Talk about separation.....

If you have not done it yet -- get your computers set up for video chatting. It sure saved Christmas

Good Luck
Scott

wildernesslady
03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Relax - you will live through it, My sons go to Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute Indiana, however my oldest decided to study in Germany this year. Talk about separation.....

If you have not done it yet -- get your computers set up for video chatting. It sure saved Christmas

Good Luck
Scott

OMG! I never thought about Christmas. We do have video chatting already.

Thanks for the support. I guess I need to plan another Disney vacation. She always manages to make them.

Pat