PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Boats

ShinynewJB
03-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Does anyone remember the boats that used to circle around Discovery Island at Animal Kingdom? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen them running since we went in 1998.

Apparently they were supposed to be used like the boats in World Showcase to transport you to different parts of the park (particularly when Asia opened). It's said that the long lines were the "ride"s downfall, but I still think it's a bit of a shame, especially seeing as all the stations still appear to be in their original places.

If they re-opened the attraction today, maybe it could be used for it's original purpose and - seeing as there are more attractions to soak up traffic in Animal Kingdom now - the lines wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Does anyone else remember these boats?

Altair
03-19-2011, 08:41 AM
They didn't last long. The ride was very boring then they added RadioDisney and made it worse. :(

WDWgoofy
03-19-2011, 08:53 AM
it was a dreadful experience.

DizneyRox
03-19-2011, 09:01 AM
They were supposed to be transportation, but many found out it was quicker to walk than wait in the lines. Asia won't make it better... Even with all the walking at AK, I think hoofing it will be faster no matter what.

Count me in the group that liked them, but it wasn't for their usefullness, it was for the views and the novelty.

WDWdriver
03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
They were colorful, but not very exciting. Guests waited in long lines, and then were disappointed when they didn't get "attacked" by hippos or something.

The boats are still there in a marina behind Dinoland. Until last year they were used to cruise the waterway near Everest with music and characters aboard to entertain the guests on shore.

ShinynewJB
03-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I seem to remember an animal roaring from a cave at one point along the journey? They could have done more things like that to make it interesting - like the Magic Kingdom Railroad. I guess the cool thing about the Railroad is that you get glimpses of things that you can't see from other locations in the park though, which wouldn't be the case with the boats.

I also remember a CM with a tarantula that brave guests could interact with on our journey. Maybe that's one of the things they added to "spice it up" a bit.

Patricia
03-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I remember the tarantula.

It's funny that most people enjoy the boat ride from PO to DTD and the Liberty Belle, but never liked the boat in AK.

I recall my kids were disappointed they didn't see the fire breathing dragon but I liked the boats and found it a nice break. I would have enjoyed it as much (or more) if there hadn't been a guide talking the whole time.

I can see why it didn't work though, even though Animal Kingdom is the easiest park to take your time in, most people will still want to hurry up.

Joannelet
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
LOL that is so funny that everyone remembers the tarantula.. :)
They still do walk around sometimes with tarantula's...but yes the boats were a waste of time and not much to see on them so they were closed. If they added something to make it more exciting they would bring them back......but when it opened in 1998 there weren't that many things to see or rides to go on so they had that boat ride. I called that boat ride a 'time waster'.

DizneyRox
03-19-2011, 12:58 PM
I seem to remember an animal roaring from a cave at one point along the journey? They could have done more things like that to make it interesting - like the Magic Kingdom Railroad. I guess the cool thing about the Railroad is that you get glimpses of things that you can't see from other locations in the park though, which wouldn't be the case with the boats.
You're thinking of the fire breathing dragon. We saw it several times, and it was a great effect. There was the guests over near Africa, and also an animatronic Alladar over by dinoland.

Most of those are very different views than can be seen from the park trails. I do believe it fell victim to the cuts because people don't usually enjoy AK in a leisurely fashion. Hurry up and wait will get you nowhere at Animal Kingdom. It's natazu...

ShinynewJB
03-19-2011, 01:27 PM
I wanted to make a suggestion that there was a firebreathing dragon, but thought it might be my (then) 10 year old imagination at work!

Seems a shame to rush through AK. There are so many nice little details everywhere that I enjoy savouring.

DizneyRox
03-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I meant to type GYSERS over in Africa, not guests (although there are guests too)...

Autocorrect on this new Andriod tablet is killing me.

FLKatie912
03-19-2011, 02:25 PM
You're thinking of the fire breathing dragon. We saw it several times, and it was a great effect. There was the guests over near Africa, and also an animatronic Alladar over by dinoland.

Most of those are very different views than can be seen from the park trails. I do believe it fell victim to the cuts because people don't usually enjoy AK in a leisurely fashion. Hurry up and wait will get you nowhere at Animal Kingdom. It's natazu...

I loved the dragon! I remember this from the AK preview days before it was open! I do remember the various versions like Radio Disney.

There were very long waits though. I still have memories anytime I go to the old loading dock to take pictures with Pooh and Friends. :mickey:

kakn7294
03-19-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd rather swim through alligator infested waters than have to ride a boat with that tarantula again! :scared: I liked the boats too but I do recall that it was a hot and miserable wait and a hot and miserable ride in the middle of summer.

faline
03-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I think they were only operational during one trip. We did ride the boat and it was a very pleasant ride. What I like about it was the different perspective it allowed - particularly the views of the Tree of Life. As far as excitement goes, it certainly was not an exciting ride but there are certainly other unexciting boat rides within Disney World which still operate regularly and are quite pleasant to take!