PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose?

CosmicRay
03-18-2011, 11:04 AM
We are taking a family with us to WDW this year. We have four children ages 10,9,3 and 2. Our friends have two boys ages 6 and 3. I thought we should stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. But my husband mentioned how SS is more central to everything, so our friends thought we should go there. I figured AKL would be more fun than a spa/golf course. In your opinion, what would you choose?

JPL
03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I would definitely choose AKL over Saratoga especially with kids their are tons of activities for kids at AKL not to mention the Pool at Kidani Village is like a mini water park. The animals alone can entertain the kids for hours!

BrerGnat
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Neither AKL nor Saratoga can be considered "central to everything". Both are about equally as far removed from the other parks, with Saratoga being close to only Downtown Disney.

Saratoga is also a HUGE complex, and looks a lot like an apartment community. It sort of lacks that "resort" feel to it, IMO.

I agree that AKL would be a better choice for a party with many young kids. Are you guys staying in a villa at AKL or in regular resort rooms? Occupancy will be an issue at AKL resort (non villa). They only allow 4 plus one child under 3 in the resort rooms...

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-18-2011, 12:07 PM
AKL for theming alone:flamingo::deer2::thumbsup:

CosmicRay
03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Are you guys staying in a villa at AKL or in regular resort rooms? Occupancy will be an issue at AKL resort (non villa). They only allow 4 plus one child under 3 in the resort rooms...

We are part of DVC, so we would stay in a villa and our friends, we were going to get them a Savanna View studio.

laprana
03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I agree with everyone else and would recommend AKL. SSR is nice, but it doesn't have much of a Disney feel to it. And like the PP said, it feels much more like an apartment complex than a Disney resort. AKL on the other hand has unbelievable themeing and atmosphere. I think the kids in your group would probably really like the animals, too. AKL is kind of far from the other parks besides AK, but it's really not that bad - a 15 minute or so bus ride, depending on where you're going.

Ms. Mode
03-18-2011, 02:33 PM
We stayed at AKL a few years ago in August. It's like staying at the zoo. There is something going on all the time, and the animals are wonderful to watch no matter the time of day. :thumbsup:

I bet your kids will love it, and you will too!

Horizon93
03-19-2011, 07:08 PM
I am biased, but i would say to go with AKV. The location is fine, it just feels like you are in another world, which is great. The feel and look of the resort is stunning, great restaurants, 2 pools, tons of fun. And if you are in a 1 br or larger, you get an extra bath in Kidani.

Mushu11756
03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I own at both resorts . There is definitely a lot more at akv. My 3 year old loved the animals we also had a savanna view which was amazing.

MN_Dad
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Animals, Pool, definitely AKL. We stayed in a Savannah view before and it was awesome! On the other side, I have never stayed at SSR so I cannot give an unbiased opinion.

DizneyRox
03-22-2011, 09:14 PM
All without a doubt. I'd rather stay at a value than stay at SSR again. We hated it and couldn't wait until we could move resorts. Went from a two bedroom at SSR to a one bedroom at BC.

crazygoalie39
03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Definitely AKL. SSR just doesn't feel very Disney and it is definitely meant for the older crowd with the Spa and LBV Golf Course. The location is a little out of the way, being 20 minutes from MK, but I think it's worth it. Also, SSR isn't even closer than AKL to MK. So if it's between those two, absolutely AKL.:mickey:

DizneyRox
03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
All without a doubt. I'd rather stay at a value than stay at SSR again. We hated it and couldn't wait until we could move resorts. Went from a two bedroom at SSR to a one bedroom at BC.

Sorry, AKL, not All... Might need to switch back to my iPhone.