PDA

View Full Version : Episode 11 - Ours Goes To Eleven

John
03-16-2011, 11:20 PM
The Cast: Melanie Bounds, Ian Mitchell, Carol Robert, John Yaglenski

Are Gary and Carol the same person?

ESPN The Weekend & Flower & Garden Festival- Mel got up at 4am for Mike & Mike and it was a mess- If you can go down for the event on Friday, crowds were light- Main action went on in front of the Sorcerer’s hat- Curly looks good- Flower and Garden Festival looks lovely, waiting for some topiary to bloom- Tangled tower looks cool

Le Cellier Steakhouse moved to a two credit dining location- Only restaurant at this level in Epcot – supply and demand

Duffy obligatory mention- The St. Patrick’s Day Duffy- Looks like it’s an integrated package – not an outfit- Mel and Ian are sucked into the land of Duffy

Pins, Vinylmation, Collectibles & More

Fantasyland Skyway Station Being Removed- There goes the Horizons mention- Originally closed at the end of 1999- Peter Pan queue extended, improve traffic flow

Haunted Mansion Queue- Installing new showpieces, rerouting queue- We speculate on how this would work and it turns out we were part right and part wrong on the layout. I don’t think we were able to visualize how things would come together.- The Ghosts at the end of the ride – what are their names again?

Phineas & Ferb discussion– Characters and their foamy counterparts

INTERCOT’s Best of – Disney Smells- John associates the smell of damp wood / tropical plants with the Polynesian- Carol says it has to be the water, but her favorite is the popcorn at Downtown Disney in Disneyland- Mel goes with the smells from ‘Soarin including the queue that is a mixture- The smell of ‘Soarin! You’re welcome Disney marketing.- Ian says all of yours are mine… but the bakery smell at the end of Main Street- Slim Jims remind Ian of Spaceship Earth

The Wave of American Flavors now offering a breakfast buffet

Grad Nights ending at Disney Parks in 2011

When to go to avoid crowds?

Dedicated podcast forum on INTERCOT – Comments welcome.

Requests to cover the Disney Vacation Club- Hot topic - change to resold points. Check out our sponsor the Timeshare Store. What it means to buying points on the secondary market vs. buying directly from Disney.

Listen Here (http://intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2011/episode-11.asp)

Joannelet
03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Yay can't wait to listen!

plscott
03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. I'm sorry my first ever post is a complaint but I can't seem to download episode 11. It plays fine in the embedded player but the link "download this episode" is to episode 10. http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2011/episode-11.asp
I then manually changed it to episode 11 and it still downloaded episode 10. I've been reading intercot since 2004 and never felt the need to post, but I love the podcast! Since I'm ranting, can we please update the resort page to include Bay Lake? It has the other DVC properties but not BLT. http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/default.asp

Thanks!

Paul

John
03-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Paul:

The download link is my fault - I'll fix it in a few minutes.

I can pass your note onto Carol about BLT :)

JOHN

John
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Linky fixed! Thanks for pointing it out :)

plscott
03-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Thank you so much!

Carol
03-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Since I'm ranting, can we please update the resort page to include Bay Lake? It has the other DVC properties but not BLT. http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/default.asp

Sorry about that. We had the link via the DVC pages - but it was my oversight to include it on the resort pages as well.

It's linked there now.

disneymom15
03-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Ok, so I listened intently to the podcast, waiting for the clues as to what "OCTOBER 2012 LMNOP" means, all I got was a teaser at the very end. My curiosity is peeked. When will we learn more!

Joannelet
03-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I was having the same trouble with episode 10 but I thought my nook was the problem. I love these podcasts and when a new one is posted I can't wait for my son to nap so I can listen.
Thanks for the run down on espn weekend. My hubby is a huge sports fanatic and is a frequent caller on the fan. We have always wanted to go. Listening to Mel's experience makes me know for sure that we have to check it out one year.
I agree with Ian on LeCellier. I would rather use my 2 credits on Cali Grill or Yachtsman Steakhouse. LeCellier is good and I agree they needed to do this because the demand was so high for it and it's so tiny in there.
Horizons was mentioned 3 times. Lol I just want you to know john that Horizons was and always will be a ride that my brother and sisters talk about to this day. We miss it and are glad to know we aren't the only ones so keep mentioning it.

When you all were talking about the haunted mansion queue area again I started to wonder do you think they are trying to slow the line down because of the pushing and shoving that goes on inside the loading area? I am wondering if this is their solution to not packing the room to capacity and then all those people push and shove to get on the ride. It is one of the only reasons that I can come up with for this queue because there usually is no wait. I do know that it has been a complaint of guests about the mad rush out of the stretching room. Maybe this is the solution to that problem.
Great podcast once again! Thanks!

BrerGnat
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Great podcast guys! Loved the part about the WDW smells! It's so funny how, I think, most of us hardcore fans know exactly what those smells are. :D

I agree with Carol about the caramel kettle corn smell at Downtown Disney @ DLR! That stuff smells SOOOO good. It tastes even better. :popcorn::yes:.

Looking forward to the next podcast. Keep up the good work!

P.S. Ian, there IS still a slow season (several of them per year) at Disneyland Resort. I promise. :secret: It hasn't quite gotten as out of control, crowd wise, as WDW. Yet.

brownie
03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. I'm sorry my first ever post is a complaint but I can't seem to download episode 11. It plays fine in the embedded player but the link "download this episode" is to episode 10. http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2011/episode-11.asp
I then manually changed it to episode 11 and it still downloaded episode 10. I've been reading intercot since 2004 and never felt the need to post, but I love the podcast! Since I'm ranting, can we please update the resort page to include Bay Lake? It has the other DVC properties but not BLT. http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/default.asp

Thanks!

Paul

Paul, welcome to the boards! :welcome:

Melanie
03-18-2011, 05:25 PM
P.S. Ian, there IS still a slow season (several of them per year) at Disneyland Resort. I promise. :secret: It hasn't quite gotten as out of control, crowd wise, as WDW. Yet.

I think when I spoke on this (which I did?) I was thinking more of weekends year round being crazy. That is the case, right?

BrerGnat
03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I think when I spoke on this (which I did?) I was thinking more of weekends year round being crazy. That is the case, right?

Not quite. Sundays are still VERY slow most of the year. We tend to go on Sundays as a family, opening time until about noon is typically the "dead zone". In the slow seasons, the entire day is pretty slow. Also, during the busy season, most APs are blocked out on Saturdays, and actually, those Saturdays tend to be LESS crowded than on days where the APs are able to come.

The busiest days, on average, are Fridays and Saturdays. During slow season, Fri and Sat wait times rarely exceed the 60 min mark, on the most popular E ticket attractions.

Altair
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Trivia for today, who knows where the reference "Ours goes to eleven" comes from?:cool:

BrerGnat
03-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Trivia for today, who knows where the reference "Ours goes to eleven" comes from?:cool:

This Is Spinal Tap.

Ed
03-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Ok, so I listened intently to the podcast, waiting for the clues as to what "OCTOBER 2012 LMNOP" means, all I got was a teaser at the very end. My curiosity is peeked. When will we learn more!

Psssstttt.... :secret: I'll try to sneak this past the site's counterespionage filters... what it means is &*%gYn)2##*>}\[ ...

:oops: Filters caught me again. :paranoid:

lettripp
03-20-2011, 11:23 AM
This Is Spinal Tap.

HA! I knew I'd heard it before - hilarious :-)

KylesMom
03-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Favorite smells? Carol nailed it - burning Rome is one of my absolute favorites. The attraction may have taken a dive, but the smell is still alive. :D

The other for me? The roasted nut carts - although I have never purchased them, I could stand outside the carts all day and just inhale. Note to self - buy some of those sugar-coated almonds this year! :cloud9:

mickeyman42
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
love the episode guys/gals. loved the "smells" talk, water on the rides and main street bakery are my fav's. especially enjoyed the DVC discussion, and am interested to know if anyone thinks its a bad or breakeven at best investment, or is it a good long term deal as resort room prices are only going to go up.

Carol
03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
especially enjoyed the DVC discussion, and am interested to know if anyone thinks its a bad or breakeven at best investment, or is it a good long term deal as resort room prices are only going to go up.Feel free to pop up to the DVC forum and look around. There is a lot of information there about costs and expenses.

As Ian and I said, once you've stayed in a villa it is hard to go back to a regular room. That alone is worth it for me. Plus I use my points in Disneyland.

princessgirls
03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smells of WDW. They must use a special kind of mulch all around the world, the smells coming out of the Main Street Bakery, the fresh popcorn, the flowers are always so bright and beautiful.

Oh, how I love WDW!
Julie:mickey:

2Epcot
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm really enjoying all the podcasts. The hardest thing is finding a window of time to listen to them. I haven't listened to 11 yet, but I listened to 10 while I was repainting my kitchen earlier this week. I actually listened to episode 9 about the Disney Dream twice, I enjoyed it so much. Great job everyone. :mickey:

John
03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback - it's great to hear. Be sure to spread the word any way you can that we're out there :)

We'd make them shorter and more manageable, but there's just so much to talk about usually. That and I blame Ian.

Joannelet
03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
We'd make them shorter and more manageable, but there's just so much to talk about usually. That and I blame Ian.

LOL! :mickey:

ryca1dreams
03-25-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm sure you don't want to get into a formula, but every so often you might want to do a segment on a specific extinct attraction (history, memories, remaining pieces, etc.). This seems to be a popular topic on the boards. If you're already doing this forgive me - I listened to all 11 podcasts at once and my mind is kind of fried.

On that topic, thanks for the piece on the skyway. I have some great memories of it from my honeymoon in 95. I took some great video of the ride. I'll be interested to see what happens to the Fantasyland station.

spinnerf
03-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Just wanted to say I love the podcasts, have listened to all 11. I have a long commute and look forward to the day I get to listen to you guys. its like hanging out with old friends, and I can hear the chemistry develope and deepen with each episode.

How about Best Photo spot?
Ours is in the Mexico pavillion wearing sombreros and wearing blankets and maraccas. We have that picture from every disney trip. I can watch my kids grow up in them.

NH Disneyfan
03-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Ian - it is really hard to simplify DVC in a 10 minute summary. You tried, but man was I tired after listening to that! :mickey:

Melanie
03-27-2011, 08:20 AM
How about Best Photo spot?
Ours is in the Mexico pavillion wearing sombreros and wearing blankets and maraccas. We have that picture from every disney trip. I can watch my kids grow up in them.

Oooh, I have a good one for that! And you have a nice one there. We actually did that a few weeks ago when my neice and nephews were here.

Ian
03-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Ian - it is really hard to simplify DVC in a 10 minute summary. You tried, but man was I tired after listening to that! :mickey:Ha yeah well to be honest I started out with one intention for that segment and then conversation sort of pushed me in another direction that probably made it feel a bit all over the place.

Stay tuned, though. We're going to do some more segments on DVC in the future and I'll do my best to clear things up!

NH Disneyfan
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I think it would be interesting in the next podcast to share a bit of the Intercot history. Not Disney specific, but something the listeners would surely be interested in.

Ian
03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
I think it would be interesting in the next podcast to share a bit of the Intercot history. Not Disney specific, but something the listeners would surely be interested in.You mean like how 13 years ago little John Yaglenski founded INTERCOT out of his garage with $6 in funding he got from his paper route??

Yeah, we could do that. ;)

NH Disneyfan
03-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes! And now...it is an internet sensation!

caryrae
04-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Getting caught up on the podcasts, was wondering for people in DVC with the way they changed how you can use the points you get from resale how would it work if you bought some from Disney then bought more points from a resale place?

iceicebritney
07-22-2011, 08:47 AM
I just started the podcasts, so I'm a little behind. However, I have to share my Disney Smell and see if i the only one.
The smell that has taken me to Disney ever since I was little was, believe it or not, sewage and rotten eggs. I know this may sound terrible, but ever since I was little we used to watch the flamingos in Epcot. Near the imagination pavilion, walking towards world showcase, it has consistently smelled of sewage or rotten eggs! Whenever my family would take me into New York City and id smell the same smell, id tell my parents it smells like Disney! Some people may think that smell is gross, but as a kid it took me right to Epcot:mickey:
Im wondering if the cause could be the stagnant water in the Imaginationlake area. Has anyone else ever noticed this?