PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Waterslides are going in at the Disneyland Hotel

BrerGnat
03-16-2011, 05:06 PM
I snapped this picture this morning! The slides are up! Looking pretty bare bones right now, but the construction is moving along very quickly. Last week, these slides weren't here!

Also, work is frantically underway for the new Tangaroa Terrace/Trader Sam's eatery and bar area. The building is starting to look very "adventureland" like. ;) Rumor has it that some "stuff" from the Adventurer's Club will be appearing soon in this location. :secret:

Stay tuned for more updates.

Carol
03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Looks like they've made great progress since I was there in December - as this was my premium view. ;)

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Oh my boys think that slide looks awesome. I hope we can pull off a trip to DL next summer.

Natalie, do you know if they are leaving the pirate ship/peter pan stuff around the pool? It looks a bit odd that the pirate ship is still there with the monorail slides going up right now. The "themes" don't really match.

Carol
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Here is the press release details for the pool area.

New Immersive Pool Experience
The most noticeable changes will be to the pool area, where guests of all ages will enjoy a new, immersive water play area. With a nod to the iconic original park signage, “Disneyland” will be spelled out in familiar blocks atop a platform supporting two thrilling water slides.

Reminiscent of the original monorail station at the Disneyland Hotel, at each slide’s entrance will sit a replica monorail car that guests will glide through as they twist and turn their way to the water below. The larger of the two main slides sits 26 feet high and stretches 187 feet until it plunges into a splash pool. The second slide is 13 feet high and 112 feet long. For younger guests, the area will include a third two-lane mini slide that sits just 3 ˝ feet high and is 19 feet long, as well as a series of small bubble jets in which to play.

The existing 4,800-square-foot Never Land pool will receive a complete cosmetic makeover but retain its unique footprint. A new 4-foot-deep pool will be built between the existing Never Land pool and the new water play area. A footbridge will stretch over the new pool, connecting both sides of the courtyard area and allowing guests easy access across the property without having to enter the sprawling gated pool area. The space also will include two spas at opposite ends of the pool area. The site of the current Cove pool will become a beautifully manicured lawn area, perfect for outdoor events. In addition, six new cabanas will be added; each features a flat screen TV, refrigerator, safe, phone and ceiling fan.

Melanie
03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
This is a little bittersweet for me. The new plans look great, and I love the nod to the old monorail station, but I really loved the Neverland theme. It was a really awesome pool!

Thanks for the updates/pics!

WDWfanatic742
03-16-2011, 09:13 PM
I really wasn't paying much attention when I clicked on the thread. I thought for sure that they were putting a water slide on the monorail... :secret: :blush:

I remember the old concept art for these. They looked really cool :thumbsup:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
03-20-2011, 01:01 AM
I like the look of the new things popping up at the Hotel. Will wait to check them all out once they open to see if it was worth losing the waterfalls and the Lost Bar for.

:smickey:

BrerGnat
03-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I know the Lost Bar had a huge cult-like following, but to be honest, I was never impressed by it. Trader Sam's sounds like it's going to be far more interesting. I just hope they have some truly unique drinks on the menu, rather than just the same standardized drinks available everywhere.

Joannelet
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Wow..looks like I'm going to have to get over my fear of flying and get on out there again!!!!

badkitty
03-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I miss the waterfalls and since I'm not a fan of waterslides, I have a hard time accepting the changes. Oh well.

Melanie
03-21-2011, 07:22 AM
I know the Lost Bar had a huge cult-like following, but to be honest, I was never impressed by it. Trader Sam's sounds like it's going to be far more interesting.

True, the bar itself was nothing spectacular, but for me personally, the memories are. Had many a fun time there with friends. Some of my best Disneyland memories are hanging at the Lost Bar in that gorgeous SoCal weather amongst all that Disney history! :cheers:

But with that said, I'm anxious to see what's in store. Sounds like a great theme. Just add good drinks and great friends and it will be perfect! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
True, the bar itself was nothing spectacular, but for me personally, the memories are. Had many a fun time there with friends. Some of my best Disneyland memories are hanging at the Lost Bar in that gorgeous SoCal weather amongst all that Disney history! :cheers:

But with that said, I'm anxious to see what's in store. Sounds like a great theme. Just add good drinks and great friends and it will be perfect! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I get that. Makes sense.

The renovations are bringing the history back to the resort, though! The waterfalls, Neverland Pool and koi ponds, as cool as they were, were not original to the resort. Back in the early days, the big thing was the monorail station as part of the hotel, and there was a very heavy "tiki" influence.

I am really looking forward to the new look. I was never really impressed by the DLH outdoor spaces. This renovation has me thinking about it in a new way, though!

And the great Southern California weather will still be there to enjoy while sipping drinks with friends! :thumbsup::marg: