PDA

View Full Version : Grocery delivery vs. packing suitcase of food?

MommaMouse
03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Alright, so I know I'm probably going to be coming off as a cheapskate but I was wondering if anyone has ever packed a suitcase with a cooler full of perishable foods such as yogurt or cottage? We will have an extra suitcase that we can check for our 3 hr flight and can opt to pick it up at the airport ourselves instead of magical expressing it. Anyone have luck with this task or am I being unreasonable???:confused:

DizneyRox
03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
The extra baggage fees and overweight charges would probably be cost prohibitive vs just getting a grocery delivery IMHO. Add to that the possible damage to the perishables, etc. You might end up having to replace anything/everything at your destination anyway.

WishingStar2006
03-15-2011, 05:18 PM
And, I believe, the baggage area of the airplane are NOT climate controlled so who knows what could/would happen to your perishables....spoil? freeze??? almost certainly some "explosion"...yuck!!!

sassafras
03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Having been on return flight where one passenger decided to pack fish on ice to take home, which he put in the overhead at the back of the plane totally away from HIS seat, I'd say forget it. Buy the perishables once you get to Orlando. The guy who got fish juice dripped on him didn't appreciate it nor did the airline personnel.:ack::ack:

DisneyMom12
03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Having been on return flight where one passenger decided to pack fish on ice to take home, which he put in the overhead at the back of the plane totally away from HIS seat, I'd say forget it. Buy the perishables once you get to Orlando. The guy who got fish juice dripped on him didn't appreciate it nor did the airline personnel.:ack::ack:

That is so inconsiderate, and gross.

I have used the grocery service and loved it. It was one less thing to worry about. I didn't think it was overly expensive either.

faline
03-15-2011, 06:12 PM
If you're using a limo service like Quicksilver you can make a grocery stop on your way to the resort. You can also use the vacation club order form or an outside grocery deliver service - there are several in the area.

I wouldn't suggest packing perishables even on a relatively short flight!

Jillirose
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
If you're using a limo service like Quicksilver you can make a grocery stop on your way to the resort. You can also use the vacation club order form or an outside grocery deliver service - there are several in the area.

I wouldn't suggest packing perishables even on a relatively short flight!

We tried Quicksilver this past FEB and stopped at Publix on the way to the hotel. It was much better than stuffing my suitcase (which I usually do). We went through a case of water in no time!

DisneyWFan
03-15-2011, 07:57 PM
We used Garden Grocer & we were very happy & the prices were about the same as the grocery stores @ home.

MommaMouse
03-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice. The baggage wouldn't actually cost extra as we're flying Southwest. The prices for the food via DVC grocery delivery seem ridiculous-I mean one bottle of power ade cost $3!!!. I was just hoping to avoid the extra delivery and tipping charges/costs from garden grocer. If my memory serves me right, last Nov. delivery cost about $15 plus tips.

JPL
03-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Another warning about perishables that I experienced in June. We went out for a grocery stop and came back and our room wasn't ready. Bell Services said they would put the perishables in the fridge for us. Well they didn't and you can only imagine what happened to everything :ack::sick: Even if you have groceries delivered I would make sure you are there to recieve them and not trust Bell services.

bdm@pga
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
We have used garden grocer and it was fantastic. Mild was kept cold at the resort until we got there and delivered right to room or we could pick up at luggage desk. Prices were good, and vast selection. You just can't beet it. Take the empty suitcase and bring home souvinEARS!!!

DizneyRox
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The baggage wouldn't actually cost extra as we're flying Southwest. The prices for the food via DVC grocery delivery seem ridiculous-I mean one bottle of power ade cost $3!!!. I was just hoping to avoid the extra delivery and tipping charges/costs from garden grocer. If my memory serves me right, last Nov. delivery cost about $15 plus tips.
Southwest does have weight restrictions, and they are expensive when you go over. Sending liquids will easily get you overweight, and in a hurry. The overweight charges are definitely more than $15 that you might save on delivery/tip. Something tells me they are like $50 for over 50lbs and under 75lbs. I don't recall the over 75lbs charge. i am usually in the 45lbs range with just clothes, and that's summer clothes. No jeans, etc.