PDA

View Full Version : La Cantina de San Angel- never again

1mickey1minnie
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
We stopped at La Cantina de San Angel on our recent trip to WDW and I will say that I will likely NEVER go back again. The service (people taking orders, people working there in general) were terrible. We ordered, got the wrong food, had nowhere to sit, waited over 15 minutes to find a table that never appeared (my Dad is in a wheelchair and we didn't really want to go somewhere and eat on the ground in the dark) and finally had to do just that- go sit on the cold ground with then cold food. When we asked about the lack of seating we were told, and I quote, "tough, you can always go stand somewhere- it's just tacos." My husband got empanadas with NOTHING in them. When he went to tell them he was argued with and only when he bit into one and showed them that they had ZERO filling did they allow him to get a different meal. No apologies at all. Worst dining ever. Yes, I know it was quick service but they did not have the WDW spirit or attitude.

Melanie
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I've eaten there 3 or 4 times now, as recent as last weekend, and have always had a good experience. Good food, good service, great location. I'm sorry your experience was so disappointing.

If a CM had said that to me, I would have asked for his/her manager on the spot. That is unacceptable.

Jared
03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Sounds like a pretty rough experience. Sorry to hear that. Like Melanie mentioned, I have heard very few critical reviews of the new Mexican counter service location, so I'm surprised and disappointed to hear such a negative report.

Obviously, Cast Members should never speak to guests in the way you described.

Out of curiosity, were the people filling the tables actually eating, or where they just using the area as a resting place? When my girlfriend and I were in Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival in October, we almost sauntered into the Cantina seating space with our food from the Mexico kiosk, thinking it was a public spot. It took us a few minutes to realize it was connected to the restaurant.

Maleficent's Dad
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
While the service you received is completely unacceptable, I have experienced the same table dilemma as you. People holding tables, some just lingering, several not eating from the Cantina at all - these all contributed to numerous customers having trays filled with food and no place to sit and eat.

I experienced this in January (during a very low crowd period) as well as February break (very crowded). Perhaps they need that system from the MK where a CM seats those waiting who have ordered food. :unsure:

1mickey1minnie
03-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Lots of people not eating. Now, not sure if they were finished and just relaxing or if they just sat down to hang out and enjoy the atmosphere. You would *hope* when they saw people with trays in hand searching for a seat that if they were finished they would move out of common courtesy, but I know not everyone thinks that way.

They do need more seating or a CM to help seat. We were not the only ones searching, it was fairly busy and I can easily say that I saw about 10 or so other families looking for a seat like we were. We had to eat on the bridge and had another family sitting right next to us with trays.

The taste of the food was fine, even though ours was cold by the time we tried it and the portions were large. Well worth the price, but the rest of the experience was awful. My Dad even asked at one point if he could just get his money back and go somewhere else that could seat us and the CM just laughed and said no.

ElenitaB
03-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this.

What's the saying about hindsight? I would have either asked to speak to a manager or stopped at talked to someone at Epcot's Guest Services. The comments made by the CM(s) are unacceptable.

RedSoxFan
03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
We ate there in December for lunch --- fantastic meal. Would eat there again.

Magic Smiles
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
My DH always secures a table while DS and I go and get the food. By the time we have the food he has found a table.

1mickey1minnie
03-12-2011, 08:58 AM
My DH always secures a table while DS and I go and get the food. By the time we have the food he has found a table.

There were 7 of us. We split up as soon as we all knew what we wanted to order, so my husband and Father were searching while my Mom and I (and the kids) were in line. No tables turned over in that timeframe!

Jared
03-12-2011, 10:47 AM
There were 7 of us. We split up as soon as we all knew what we wanted to order, so my husband and Father were searching while my Mom and I (and the kids) were in line. No tables turned over in that timeframe!
Honestly, my family has been guilty of this practice for years. Until recently, when this topic became controversial on the boards, I truly didn't think it was at all inappropriate. Maybe that just makes me an incredibly stupid guest, but it always seemed silly to send all five of us to the counter and clog the food line. Are the others supposed to just stand to the side and wait?

Of course, after countless (ultimately locked) threads, I recognize the flaw in my logic. "Saving" (and I use that term loosely) tables inherently favors larger parties to an extent, I suppose. I thin with this subject, people have to exercise more common sense and courtesy. Most of the time, the restaurants aren't crowded enough for any of this matter. When they are, and you see people with trays ambling around looking for a place to sit, give up your table if you're not eating. It's as simple as that. We always look to pass more rules. As guests, we should be able to police ourselves a little better.

PrettyMinnie
03-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad dining experience. I ate there on my last trip and really enjoyed the atmosphere. I did notice a lack of seating. Fortunately we had a much better CM experience and were able to snag a table with little effort. Hopefully the rest of your dining experiences while in WDW were much better!!

BluewaterBrad
03-12-2011, 11:41 AM
How was the rest of your trip? Anything positive??:mickey:

A Big Kid
03-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Secret tables at La Cantina:

After you order, head toward the Mexico Pavilion where the ride and sit-down restaurant it. After you climb the stairs, look left and right along the wall. There are table/chairs up there.

1mickey1minnie
03-12-2011, 05:44 PM
How was the rest of your trip? Anything positive??:mickey:

Oh yes, the rest of our trip was fabulous! Not a complaint to be had. We adored our time at 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House was a big win for all as well. We had decent crowds, wonderful weather and a lots of memories were made :) Saw Fantasmic for the first time and loved it!

Melanie
03-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Secret tables at La Cantina:

After you order, head toward the Mexico Pavilion where the ride and sit-down restaurant it. After you climb the stairs, look left and right along the wall. There are table/chairs up there.

And this reminds me - for lunch hours, the seating inside La Hacienda is open for seating for Cantina guests. :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Although we didn't have that bad of an experience I did find the CM weren't the friendliest there as they usually are at Disney eateries, we asked if they could make my son nachos without jalepenos and they said no....didn't realize no jalepenos was so hard

#1donaldfan
03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
I wonder why there are more negative reports from that area of EC than any other ?? We had a horrid experince at San Angel in 2005 and have not been back since !! The food was "mostly" ok, but our server was rude, brash, and just plain hateful the entire time. We didn't give him any reason to be that way, no angry kids, no spilling drinks, no "special" ordering instruction. We sat down and he instantly became rude !! I love the theme, the ride, the atmosphere, and go in there every year, but I will not eat there again !! I wanted to try the cantina, now I am having HUGE doubts......:thedolls:

Goofster
03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
We ate there during our past trip (1st week of March) and we thought the food was great. We actually had our best CM moment of the trip. My wife had purchased some $13 drink at the Tequila bar inside the Pavilion and then left it with me and our 2 sons, while she went to order. Well, when she got back to sit down, my DS decided to shoot his harm across the table and knocked the entire drink everywhere. I don't think my wife had even tasted it yet! So, we started cleaning the mess up and then started to eat. A few minutes later, one of the CM's brought her the same drink from inside the Pavillion. :thumbsup: We didn't even ask or tell him what drink it was, etc. We thought that was a moment of Disney service that Disney is known for. :number1:

Plus, we thought the food was great, but I did see alot of people looking for tables. They could use some more.

BluewaterBrad
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh yes, the rest of our trip was fabulous! Not a complaint to be had. We adored our time at 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House was a big win for all as well. We had decent crowds, wonderful weather and a lots of memories were made :) Saw Fantasmic for the first time and loved it!

Awesome!! We love 1900 Park Fare also!!:mickey:

azcavalier
03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
My experience at the Cantina was that the food was pretty good, but there was not much of it (which for me, was a first at WDW), and we couldn't find a place to sit, either, and there were only two of us. We would up finding a bench along the lake and just eating there. There was a table with two college-aged girls eating, and we thought briefly about asking them if we could also sit and eat at the table with them, but since we're middle-aged, married men, we thought that might come across as slightly creepy.

Altair
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
My experience at the Cantina was that the food was pretty good, but there was not much of it

I agree with you 100% on this point.:(

Gator
03-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I've been to places at WDW with "San Angel" in the name twice. Both times, the food was no good and both times it was crazy in line and while dining.

There are so many good places to eat at Epcot that I don't even consider going there. For me, the Mexico pavillion is good for the Donald Duck ride - and that's it.