PDA

View Full Version : College student's first apartment--need tips

MNNHFLTX
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Okay, my son is almost at the end of his freshman year at college and requisite stay in a dorm. Next fall he wants to rent an off-campus apartment. Since his dad and I will be paying for it, we have a couple of requirements--the apartment has to do individual leasing (per bedroom/individual, not for the whole apartment, so that we don't get burned if a roommate bails) and will preferably be furnished. For those of you who have been through this before, any tips or cautionary tales?

Of course, he wants to go for the student complexes that are almost as elaborate as the WDW resorts, but I'm worried about all the partying and distractions. :eek:

Ramblingman
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
We are right there with you. Our daughter is a freshman and wants to move off campus for next year. We drove around with her to look at apartments. We don't have any of the separate lease type apartments here, so we can't do that. Not sure if we would anyway.

My daughter decided on a nice one bedroom unit in a very good complex that won't cost us an arm and a leg. In fact, it's not going to be that much more considering the dorm and the meal plan we had to purchase.

As to furnishings, we have been making it a game to look for used or distressed furniture that she and her mom can strip and refinish on the weekends. Keeps them occupied and makes them feel like the furniture is more theirs.

My only advice would be to keep looking and the right thing will be there.

disney obsessed
03-11-2011, 06:16 PM
My opinion is that college is for learning about life as well as scheduled classes. My guess is that he is at least 18. Let him live where he wants to live(given safety factors implied). We had three of us in a one bedroom apartment. The building was almost all students. It was great. Yes, it was a big party school(and in the early 80's) and we made both good decisions and bad ones but I am still here and would not have changed it for the world.

I encourage my kids to do the same.
Good luck!

garymacd
03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't have any tips or cautionary tales, but I do have a whole shed full of used appliances like the George Forman grill, two-burner hotplate, pots, pans microwave dishes you can have.

No, wait. It will cost more to send them to you than it will for you to buy them yourself!

My only tip is tell him to avoid the Firstie Fifteen! Almost everyone who goes away to college gains fifteen pounds in the first year.

My daughter was determined not to gain the weight. She had put in on before the first break at Christmas! She did lose it before she came back in the spring, but it was an eye-opener for her.

Make sure your son knows how to cook, and not just macaroni and cheese. That's my tip!

MNNHFLTX
03-11-2011, 08:44 PM
My only tip is tell him to avoid the Firstie Fifteen! Almost everyone who goes away to college gains fifteen pounds in the first year.My son has actually made it through his first year and lost weight! He was lean to begin with and starting doing weights while he was there. Sometimes I'm even tempted to nag him to put on a few pounds.

Make sure your son knows how to cook, and not just macaroni and cheese. That's my tip!Great tip! I have done my best over the years to teach him some basic cooking skills, but I have my doubts.... Oh well, as long as he cooks mac and cheese and eats fruits and vegetables, I will be happy!

Melanie
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
My son has actually made it through his first year and lost weight! He was lean to begin with and starting doing weights while he was there. Sometimes I'm even tempted to nag him to put on a few pounds.

I was going to say earlier that I didn't think this was an issue. ;)

Dulcee
03-12-2011, 07:30 AM
I lived on campus all four years as an undergrad however last August when I started grad school I had to find an off campus apartment at my new University.

At my current university a lot of the undergrads live off campus in two or three apartment complexes that cater to the undergrads. When I viewed those I will tell you I was warned that weekends there is a greater tolerance on the part of the complex for noise (essentially because they know that is who they are renting to). And while the lease is essentially to one student in the apartment they were willing to set up split bills to be sent out to different sets of parents.

I found an apartment nearby campus in a more mixed setting (some undergrads, some grads, some families, some singles) and personally it suited me better. It also would have suited me better as an undergrad as I tend to like things quieter and my space, on the weekends. That being said, it really depends on your son's attitude towards school and friends. It also depends on his own independence. Would he be happy in a 1 bedroom? or happier where his friends are right outside his bedroom door? Does he have a car to go food shopping and get to campus? Without a meal plan this is very much a necessity. At my current apartment they actually run a free shuttle every half hour on weekdays to campus which saves me $550 a year on parking. It might be a perk to inquire if any of the apartments near campus have.

Another consideration is lease length. Is your son going to continue classes in the summer? Or is he headed home after 9 months? If he won't be doing summer courses make sure you find a complex who will work with a less then a year lease (and be ready for a higher rent because of it.)

Another thing I found to be extremely important is washer/dryer connections. Some apartments will come with washer/dryers but personally I found it economically easier to get one with connections and then search craigslist for inexpensive used units (got my pair for less then 200 and they work great, if you go this route be aware most apartments are electric dryers, not gas). Other things to be aware of are central air (I'm in the south where this was a must) and if the apartment is run on all electric or electric/gas. Also some apartments may include water/pest/trash and sometimes cable fees while others don't. Get this information upfront or it can raise your monthly rent payment by $50 - $100.

And while I know you mentioned finding one furnished you are tied to a lot more possible damage fees once the year is up (this could be more or less of a concern depending on your son's party attitude). Again, I went craigslist and was able to furnish a full two bedroom apartment for under $800 (and I'm female and picky and wanted it to look like home and not a dorm, so for a teenage guy you could probably go cheaper). Yard sales and walmart are also great for picking up inexpensive cooking items, blankets etc. I also talked to relatives who were more then happy to empty out garages and linen closets with items they no longer used.

Oh and definitely make a trip out to visit places with your son and try to talk to some residents while there. My Fiance and I went to visit and still ended up in a sticky situation after we put down a deposit and then looked at recent police reports in the area. After some panicked searching we found an apartment in a complex on the other side of town with a much cleaner record. We learned quickly to be leary of complexes that had recently changed ownership or were advertising their "grand opening" for more then six months. Try to do a drive through of the complex after night on a weekend (especially if its not gated), its one of the best ways to gauge noise/people in the parking lots after dark/lighting. Its amazing how different some places become once the sun goes down.

Hope this was helpful!

RedSoxFan
03-12-2011, 08:22 AM
My only advice is to get background check on the landlord. DS#1 lived off campus while at Syracuse Univ. Excellent landlord, etc. No complaints.
DS#2 is living off campus in a house with 2 other guys in Oswego. The landlord came off nice; but now that the boys are in the house; she's NOT nice. I won't go into details about her; but Kyle will not be living there next year.