PDA

View Full Version : First Timer with SO many ?????'s!

ljgirl
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Hello,
My family is going to be at Universal Studios next week for Spring Break. My kids are DS (8) and DD(11). My DH is very laid back and goes with the flow. I on the other hand am not like that!! I usually research my destination for months before leaving but we had to put this trip together quickly because my daughter broke her ankle which forced us to give up our ski plans! Anyway, I have been to WDW over 30 times so I know that area like the back of my hand but I know NOTHING about US/IOA! I leanred a TON about WDW on INtercot so I am hoping everyone can help again!!! Here are a few questions...

We were not able to get a reservation at one of the on site resorts so we are staying at a Marriott not far away. Would it be worth the money to buy the Express Plus?

Since my daughter is on crutches, we are going to rent her a wheelchair for the parks. Otherwise her arms would be the next thing to go!! Are the parks pretty wheel chair friendly? Do you wait in the normal lines for rides when in a chair?

Are the two parks connected?

Can we get through all of the parks in 3 days? We are not Harry Potter fans (I know- I think we are the only ones!!!) so we won't have to spend time waiting in lines for much in that area.

I think that is it but any other hints and tidbits anyone can give would be appreciated! I feel like a fish out of water!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lodger
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Express Plus is great, so if the extra money is not an issue I'd say go for it. I've purchased this in the past on days that are very crowded. I wouldn't buy the Express Plus until after you are in the park and can judge the crowd levels. If the lines are very long you can upgrade your tickets in one of the park's gift shops. Be aware the Express Plus is only good once for each participating rides. When you present your ticket at the ride the cast member or whatever they are called will check off that you have used the pass for the ride. That's bit of a bummer, and another consideration of whether or not the extra expense is worth it to you.

I can't answer you question about wheelchair access in the park. Fortunately, I never had to pay attention, but Universal is a class A park and I'm certain they have provisions for their guests in wheelchairs.

The two parks are not directly connected, but they are next to each other. The park layout reminds me of Disneyland. As in Disneyland where you have to walk through Downtown Disney to get to the parks, you have to walk through Universal's Citiwalk to reach the park gates. IOA is off to the left and the Studio is to the right. If you are going to park hop it is only a few minute walk to either park. Just remember to have your hand stamped even if you don't plan to return to the first park. You never know plans change.

If you are going to do Universal right you need 2 days. A day in each park. So 3 days is great. By the third day you will know what part of the parks you love and can hit them again.

I love Universal Studios and IOA as much as I love the Disney Parks and can't imagine being in Orlando and not visiting.

You'll have a great time. I hope I've been a bit of a help.

NJGIRL
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Since it is Spring Break the express passes may be a good idea. Before we started staying at the hotels we never bought them (I'm too cheap) and we never had a problem doing both parks in two days, but we go in the slower season. The thought of spending that extra money makes my stomach turn, but like I said I'm cheap. I never buy park hoppers either because I think it's a waste of money, just my opinion.

I can't exactly answer your wheelchair question, but have seen wheelchairs enter through different lines and doors. In fact, I remember for Shrek & the Horror Make Up Show the wheelchairs were in the express lines. That is something you might want to call about. Maybe you won't need to buy the express passes.

Yes they are connected. You have City Walk in between them. You must exit one park and walk through City Walk to enter the other park but you do not need to take any sort of transporation to do this.

Yes, three days (in Oct for us anyway) is plenty of time for both the parks. We rode many of the rides multiple times since we had the express passes.

HP fan or not make sure you do the Forbidden Journey. It blows everyother ride out of the water. BIG TIP, you can't carry anything on this ride so try to bring only what fits into your pockets when you go into IOA or you will have to get a locker and that is a big time waster.

Don't miss: Spiderman, Simpsons, The Mummy, Shrek, ET (very cute), Monster Horror Make Up Show.

Our favorite places to eat: Finnegans, sandwich shop towards the front of the Studios, Pastamore.

Have a great time. We love Universal!