PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to do when you grow up?

disney obsessed
03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
I can't decide. I have been a stay at home mom for a long time. I already have a masters degree and do not really have the patience to go back to school. I was wondering if any one else has been or is in my situation and has any ideas?

brownie
03-07-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm trying to avoid the growing up part!

I've been a stay-at-home dad for just about 10 years now. I've been doing some consulting work in information risk management for the last couple years. What do you enjoy doing and what skills do you have (or gained from being at home)? You don't necessarily need to go back to school. Do some searches to see what you might be able to parlay those interests and skills into.

BraddyB
03-07-2011, 09:24 PM
When I grow up I am hoping to hit the lotto and move to Orlando. Then I either want to be a Jungle Cruise Skipper, drive the truck in Kilimanjaro Safari, or cruise people back on forth across the lake from the Wilderness lodge. But as for now I work in the hospital and dream.

Magic Smiles
03-08-2011, 06:33 AM
I am still trying to decide that one. For now I am counting down to retirement.....3 years, 3 months 9 days, but who is counting?:blush:

When I retire I would like to either work in Michaels craft store very part time or if I am lucky enough to move to the Orlando area, become a photographer in WDW :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
03-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I already have a great career with a great company and a great boss ...

My dream job is to work in a bookstore.

Do you like to read? Perhaps working at the Library? That would be an awesome job ...What was your degree in? Perhaps you could work with that?

princessgirls
03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm lucky...I do have a rewarding job that I do enjoy. I work in adoption, and although each day is new and sometimes challenging it is extremely rewarding, and most importantly, my job works well with being a mom.
I originally took the job because it was just for 12 hours a week, and I just had my first daughter, and wanted to work in some capacity, the job has evolved into a thirty hour a week position, with a lot a "Mom" flexibility! My girls are still both in elementary school and that is important to me. I have an awesome schedule 8-3 M,T,W and 8-5 Thursday with Fridays off. NO complaints there...
Also get company benefits with 30 hours, and while I don't take the health benefits, I enjoy my vacation days/holidays and do participate in the 401K.
Dream job for me now...RETIREMENT!!! TRAVEL & LEISURE...SNOWBIRD!!! I've got a ways, I'm only in my early 40's!
Julie:mickey:

garymacd
03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm never growing up!

I already have the perfect job and part-time business.

I don't honestly know what will happen when I get too old to do my job.

But, I'm never growing up.

Maybe I can drive the boats to Downtown Disney. Just for fun.

disney obsessed
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the input. I, too, would love to run away and work at Disney but my family would not be very happy.

I have a masters in social work. I have done inpatient psych and outpatient psych. I stopped doing that to have a family and quite honestly being a therapist made me jaded. I have seen and heard almost anything you can imagine and I do not want to do that any more. I have taught pre-school for five years while my youngest was in grade school. It was great but I left because I needed a hip replacement at 44 and getting on and off the floor is not a good thing for me but very important to teach preschool. I worked full time as Sales and Marketing director for a senior community for two years. I quite last year after I realised that my family was not doing well with me working full time. I would love to teach college but there is not much call for part time social work teachers where I live. I love to travel and Disney World. My husband thinks I should start my own business but I am too scatterbrained and not self disciplined enough. I also take care of my mom who is 84 and has varied levels of dementia.

I am bored at home but I can't seem to find something worth the sacrific of my caretaking role. So now that I have depressed everyone out of their mind....................sorry about that.

I do thank you for your ideas, some of them are quite interesting. If there are any more, keep them coming. I hope that I find soemthing soon.

princessjojo
03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Have you thought about school psych work? Your area is sure to have a need for that, being so close to the Norfolk area. And that is something that can be part time work as well, while giving you time off in the summers to spend with family. And having a masters and the experience should more than qualify you for a position of such.