PDA

View Full Version : Graduate School--Prayers and Pixie Dust

White Rose
03-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Hello to all of you!

I'm not sure if any of you know, but I graduated last year with a BA in History from a small, private, liberal arts college. I absolutely adore history and originally intended to teach high school social studies. Plans changed somewhat, and I still want to teach but at a college level. Last year, during my senior year, I was quickly approaching burn out and thus, did not spend nearly as much time as I should have applying to graduate schools and was thus rejected from the two I applied to. I also had HORRID GRE scores, despite the 3.98 GPA.

This year, I've been much better. I have two fabulous jobs and it's been so wonderful for my mental well being to just work and not worry about school. I applied again this year, to two different PhD programs and have just recently found out I was rejected again. But, no fear! I finally bit the bullet and I'm applying to a MA program for History. I really wanted to go straight into a doctoral program but with the economy the way it is, it may be better to just get the MA first...

Anyway, I'm asking for some prayers/pixie dust that I get into this MA program. It's one of my last shots. It's also close to my parents and two of my best friends are attending there.

I'm also kind of sad right now and trying not to be down in the dumps. So, yes, any good thoughts my way would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

UCJen
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
:pixie: I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hate the wait.

At my school, they only take about 8-10 applicants per year for the PhD program, so I know how competitive it can be.

I am finishing up my MA in June. It's been a crazy two years, honestly.

Here is my take, you never know what opportunities will present themselves in the master's program. Sometimes things that look less-than-ideal on the surface, turn out to be fantastic opportunities in disguise.

I also wanted to add if you are admitted (more :pixie:) to find a professor who has the same academic interests as you and offer to assist her/him. Additionally keep on the look out for an Research Assistant positions. These are great ways to develop references for jobs and PhD applications. ;)

When will they notify you?

disneymom15
03-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Here you go, :pixie:, good luck!

Hammer
03-08-2011, 12:28 AM
At my school, they only take about 8-10 applicants per year for the PhD program, so I know how competitive it can be.

I am finishing up my MA in June. It's been a crazy two years, honestly.

PhD programs in general have accepted very few applicants. Usually they'll want you with your MA first. At least, that has been the experience of my friends who got their PhD.

Also, you mention you have applied to 1 MA program. Why? You really should be applying to multiple programs rather than putting all your eggs in one basket. Look into applying to schools outside your immediate area. Like you, I attended a small private liberal arts college for my BA. When I applied to Masters programs, I applied to only one local university (Penn) with the rest being being outside the area (Boston College, Vanderbilt and another school whose name escapes me over 15 years later). Ended up at Boston College, even though I was accepted to Penn, and I'm so glad I did it. I learned so much about myself being on my own in a new city. Yes, it is scary, but don't let fear of the unknown be a part of your decision making process.

White Rose
03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Also, you mention you have applied to 1 MA program. Why? You really should be applying to multiple programs rather than putting all your eggs in one basket. Look into applying to schools outside your immediate area. Like you, I attended a small private liberal arts college for my BA. When I applied to Masters programs, I applied to only one local university (Penn) with the rest being being outside the area (Boston College, Vanderbilt and another school whose name escapes me over 15 years later). Ended up at Boston College, even though I was accepted to Penn, and I'm so glad I did it. I learned so much about myself being on my own in a new city. Yes, it is scary, but don't let fear of the unknown be a part of your decision making process.

I would to some degree prefer to go out of state, but in terms of what I can afford and such, I'm sticking to in state.

I am applying to one other MA program in NYC but, I'd really have to think about it because I'm not sure I could afford the rent of an apartment and I'd really have to receive funding in order to go.

I live at home currently and work two part-time jobs. If I were to go to the local institution, I'd be able to keep one of my jobs (which pays very good money). My boss is also aware of my situation and would be willing to work around my class schedule. I also have a good shot of possibly obtaining a graduate assistantship position, with a stipend ($11K) and it would also include tuition remission. Additionally, the school I'm applying to is a state school, thus the tuition would be much cheaper as I would be going as an in-state resident, if I didn't receive a GA. Lastly, my grandmother has lung cancer which is getting worse with each passing day. My parents will have my younger sister at college, so being close would be better to help them with things around the house and to look over things my grandparents may need.

Ideally, I'd really like to have more of a range of programs to apply to. But, when factoring in the cost of an admissions fee and the fact that if I went out of state, I would be unemployed and most MA programs don't provide the funding most doctoral programs have ($20K and up), it would be better in some respects to stay local.

Hammer
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Rose, now that you provided some background, I totally understand your decision. I neglected to mention that one of the reasons I chose BC over Penn was that BC was half the price and I also had a shot at a graduate assistant position.

ElenitaB
03-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Best of luck, Rose! :pixie:

Dulcee
03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Best of luck!

I went through a very similar situation. Made a last minute decision to apply as a senior in undergrad and got rejected. The second time around, after holding two jobs I got into one of the 4 PhD programs I applied to.

I love my doctoral program but I will say there are times when I wish I had gone with a masters program first, you might be very glad you choose that route. And if it doesn't work out this time around don't give up. There are several people in my department who didn't start a grad program until 24/25 years old.

White Rose
03-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their kind words and pixie dust and making me realize I'm not alone...

I also come with good news. I got the letter today I was accepted into the Master's program! Woo hoo!!! :number1: :thumbsup: :cool: :party:

I'm waiting to see if they mention anything about TAships, etc, but for right now, I'm just going to be excited that I got in! LOL

ElenitaB
03-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Jillirose
03-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Congratulations! And don't worry about that GRE score.... mine was horrible too and I did just fine in graduate school. ;)

BrerGnat
03-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Congratulations on your acceptance!

White Rose
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
More good news! I just received notice the other day that I am receiving a TA position and with that comes a stipend, tuition remission AND health insurance.

I also met with the program director, who is an absolute doll.

So, YAY! Things are working out. I also get pretty much the entire month of January off, for winter break. So, plenty of time to take a Disney trip again next year! :mickey:

Thanks again to everyone and for your advice. :grouphug: I really appreciate it.