PDA

View Full Version : Good running shoes?

TheVBs
03-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Hey everyone! Hoping to get some advice. I am not a runner, but it's looking like I need a good pair of running shoes. I do a fast walk on the treadmill, about 4mph, an hour a day, 6 days a week. I've spent over a year working up to that and recently my feet have been taking a beating, bruised toes, etc. My sister in law runs marathons and said it's likely my shoes. I have been wearing the same shoes this whole time, an inexpensive, comfortable pair. I do have a new pair of Sketchers that I haven't really worn yet, would they be considered good running shoes? They don't have laces though, just velcro. Has anyone had a similar problem? What brands are considered good running shoes? Any tips for what to look for, or what kind of fit to get? Do you go into the store or just order online? Can I do the treadmill barefoot and avoid the problem altogether? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm completely in the dark on this one. :confused:

brownie
03-07-2011, 07:33 AM
I'd try doing some searches online first. You might want a walking shoe and not a running shoe if you're not running. 300 miles/6 months is a general guideline for replacing shoes. They break down and don't provide as much support.

I use a pair of Avia Men's A5821M Trail Running shoes. I run on the treadmill in the winter and also use the shoes for my workouts.

BraddyB
03-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Running shoes have alot to do with personal preference. A brand someone may like, another might not. Best thing to do is try on multiple pairs of shoes and see what feels best for you. I know alot of people like Saucony, Asics and New Balance. I am a big fan of Adidas and Nike, because they fit me better. My current shoe for the gym (treadmill,elliptical, raquetball) is the Nike AirMax 2011

Whats right for someone, might not be right for you. Get a shoe you feel comfortable in and that has good support. I think between those 5 brands you should have a pair of happy feet !!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I would, just for the "first" pair, go to a running store and get fitted. I've just started to run/walk as part of my activity plan and the time and money I spent getting fitted was well worth it.

I ended up loving the Saucony shoes, but was amazed at the different fits between brands.

Once you know the brand and fit that works for you, you can shop around for replacement pairs.

Ian
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I do a very similar workout to you on the treadmill and I've always worn New Balance MR1226. They're from the higher end of the New Balance running line and they seem to really take good care of my feet.

When I first started I was wearing just everyday Asics and I developed the same problems with my feet. I really think it's the shoes.

sassafras
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
After having foot surgery and some problems with shoes following that, I broke down, went to a good shoe store, and had them recommend and fit me. I got a pair on New Balance and love them. They were rather pricey, but my feet feel so much better!!! I'd definitely go that route again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Spira are awesome but pricey...I think I paid around $150 for a pair a few years ago and I had a gift certificate...they are probably $200 now but they are designed for runners.....I am actually wearing New Balance right now because I have an issue with over pronating (flat feet)

BrerGnat
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
It really depends on your feet. I am a runner, but also do fast walk workouts. If I try to walk in my running shoes, I get sore feet and blisters. When I walk in my walking shoes (even fast, around 4-4.5mph), no blisters, no pain.

The thing is, the mechanics of your stride are very different when walking and running. Running shoes are made for running, and are meant to take the majority of the impact on the mid and forefoot. In addition, they are supposed to be lightweight, so there is minimal padding in the upper part of the shoe. However, walking is typically a heel first strike, and the shoes are made with more cushioning in the heel as well as more cushioning around the ankle and top of foot.

I actually recommend Reebok walking shoes. They have consistently taken good care of my feet. I use Asics for running, but I can't walk in my Asics without pain.

JanetMegan
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I also was having some issues after stepping up my walking (about 3 miles a day) with my New Balance $40 shoes and ended up breaking down and going to a specialty walking/running shoe store and being fitted. They were very helpful, spent a good bit of time with me and I ended up with some Mizuno shoes at around $100. They are supposed to help with my over pronating (sp?) so the first couple weeks they felt slightly awkward but now they feel good and I think they are really helping.

A Big Kid
03-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I read a lot of friendly advise but not too much technical advice.

First, know what kind of feet you have; flat, low arch or high arch. You can determine this by a simple wetfoot test. Take a picture of the footprint and take it to a reputable running store to show a knowledgeable salesperson. The salesperson wants to know if your foot pronates, over pronates, or is neutral.

All brands basically make three types of shoes; stability, motion control and cushioning. ( there are racing flats too but you don't need those. )

Depending on the type of foot you have ( based upon the picture of your wet foot and a used pair of shoes with an established "wear
pattern" ) the salesperson will recommend several shoes in several different brands that fit your requirements.

Some brands (New Balance) tend to run wide, some (like Asics) tend to have larger toeboxes. Other brands tend to fit skinnier feet. And on and on.

The correct shoe for your type of foot and type of exercise will not only make your exercise more enjoyable but will prevent foot, knee and back pain and/or injuries.

BraddyB
03-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Another thought for when you get a new pair of running shoes is socks. I know it might sound crazy but a good pair of socks can make a world of difference. If you wear heavy all cotton socks they could also be part of the problem. I wear a thin pair of running socks that has a wicking material in them to draw sweat away from your foot. Maybe, look into moleskin and put that on the areas that get blistered before working out.

ryca1dreams
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I read a lot of friendly advise but not too much technical advice.

First, know what kind of feet you have; flat, low arch or high arch. You can determine this by a simple wetfoot test. Take a picture of the footprint and take it to a reputable running store to show a knowledgeable salesperson. The salesperson wants to know if your foot pronates, over pronates, or is neutral.

All brands basically make three types of shoes; stability, motion control and cushioning. ( there are racing flats too but you don't need those. )

Good advice. Many years ago I went to a running store (as opposed to just a shoe store) and had the owner (world class marathoner) watch me walk. Turns out I was a severe over pronator. I also have had knee surgery. So, he fitted me with Brooks Beast (stability, motion control, and cushioning) - a lot of shoe for a 150 lb guy, but it worked - I still wear that model.

Yeah, you really need to have a knowledgable person evaluate you and make recommendations. Try out the shoe and make sure it works.

And don't forget to replace them when needed - shoe materials break down as you put on the miles. I replace mine about once every 1 1/2 years or so.

A Big Kid
03-07-2011, 02:30 PM
And don't forget to replace them when needed - shoe materials break down as you put on the miles. I replace mine about once every 1 1/2 years or so.
1 1/2 years!?
350 to 400 miles is the generally accepted time to replace a running shoe. That is about 4 to 8 weeks for the average runner.

Maybe a little more for a walker, but certainly not 1 1/2 years.

ryca1dreams
03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
1 1/2 years!?
350 to 400 miles is the generally accepted time to replace a running shoe. That is about 4 to 8 weeks for the average runner.

Maybe a little more for a walker, but certainly not 1 1/2 years.

Yeah, I don't run as much as I should. Plus, I'm cheap and the Beasts are expensive, so I stretch it out a lot.

TheVBs
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Thank you everyone for all the great advice!! I really appreciate it, because my workout has become a very important part of my life.

I've found out that there's a reputable fitness store very close by where I can go and get fitted. So, that's my plan! I understand that the shoes will be expensive there, probably $100. A neighbor said that he only went to get fitted then paid less somewhere else, like $60. But, I may pay more just to make sure I'm walking away with what I need. Plus, I'm one of those instant gratification people. :blush: I fight that urge as much as possible, but it's still there. In the meantime I'm just doing it in socks, which I can tell shouldn't be a long-term solution.

Thanks BraddyB for mentioning the socks! I think the bruising actually started when I tried a thicker pair of socks. Went back to a thin pair, but it was like the damage was done and my toes kept getting beaten up. Plus, I know that I really don't have a good pair of shoes, and they're very worn now.

For all of you who do a similar workout, do you do anything else with it? I do some yoga, stretching, sit ups, and alternate push ups with light weight lifting (really light!). Except for the stretching and yoga, I always wonder if I'm doing the rest correctly. Any recommendations?

A Big Kid
03-11-2011, 05:38 AM
One last bit of advice: buy last year's model shoe.

Just like cars, shoes come out in model years. For example, I run in Asics 2160's (2011 models). When they came out, I stocked up on 2150's (2010 models)
2160 = $90-$100
2150 = $45-$65.

I have four pair still in boxes in my closet.

TheVBs
03-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Thank you for the tip! I will remember that. One more question... Should I wait for my bruised toes to heal, or is it ok to get fitted now? I'm currently using the treadmill in just my socks, but that's starting to get a little uncomfortable. I can stick with that if I have to, but would rather get the shoes sooner, if I can.

TheVBs
03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Got a new pair of shoes yesterday! :) Went to a local sports store and they had me try on three different pairs. Ended up getting a pair of Asics. Used them for the first time today and so far they feel great! Definitely a different feel, and it feels like I might be working different muscles now. Hopefully no more bruised toes!

BraddyB
03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Hope all goes well with the new shoes !!!!

magicofdisney
03-14-2011, 08:13 PM
I was getting shin splints. I had more than one unrelated person tell me to go with ASICS. Through research I discovered the term for my problem (over-pronate) and bought accordingly. It's been good so far with the new shoes. I hope you have the same success. :thumbsup:

TheVBs
03-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Thank you! So far they're feeling good. There is one spot on my left foot that seems to press in, but I think that's due to the shape of my foot and not the shoes. I'm going to try some moleskin there today. It's not blistering or anything, just a slight discomfort. But otherwise, :thumbsup:!

BrerGnat
03-15-2011, 11:53 AM
All new shoes have a "break in period". Your shoes will stretch slightly in the area that is causing problems right now. Asics are really good about that, I've found.

If they are not better within about 2 weeks, go back to the store and don't leave there until you have a shoe that causes NO discomfort.

TheVBs
03-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that! It's great to hear so many positive experiences with this brand. :)

A Big Kid
03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Thank you! So far they're feeling good. There is one spot on my left foot that seems to press in, but I think that's due to the shape of my foot and not the shoes. I'm going to try some moleskin there today. It's not blistering or anything, just a slight discomfort. But otherwise, :thumbsup:!

Moleskin is so 1980's ;)

I suggest using Bodyglide. It looks like a stick of deoderant. It is the single greatest sports invention known to man!

Bodyglide is a lubricant of sorts. Goes on dry. Does not stain clothing. And it reduces friction in ever place you can and cant imagine.

TheVBs
03-16-2011, 06:57 AM
LOL! Moleskin is almost brand new to me, since I learned about it here last year. But Bodyglide sounds like a much better solution, and I'd love to give it a try. Can you get it anywhere, like CVS or Meijers? Is it by the band-aids like moleskin?

Ian
03-16-2011, 11:28 AM
1 1/2 years!?

Maybe a little more for a walker, but certainly not 1 1/2 years.Hmmm ... I'm not a math major or anything, but I'm not seeing how your numbers add up here.

The OP says she walks 4 miles per hour an hour per day. That's 28 miles a week. Even taking your longest duration of 8 weeks, that only equates to a total of 224 miles walked. If you assume your lowest estimate of 350 miles per shoe, I come up with a "shelf life" more along the lines of 12.5 weeks?

And that's the most conservative model possible based on your numbers.

BrerGnat
03-16-2011, 03:46 PM
It's generally accepted that running shoes are good until you see noticeable wear on the treads. This happens at different rates, depending on the surface on which you are running, but it is consistent with the amount of impact the shoe is receiving. For example, treadmill runners can keep their shoes a lot longer than concrete runners. Treadmills have cushioning built in, so the shoes don't take ALL the force.

The "average" runner runs 12-15 miles per week. This equates to 4-6 months of life for running shoes.

Walking shoes can last a LONG time. It's time to replace them when they stop feeling good.

TheVBs
03-18-2011, 08:02 AM
I was told by the salesperson that runners typically need to replace their shoes after 300 miles, which for most is about 6 months. He said that mine will last a lot longer because I'm doing a fast walk instead of running, and I'm on a treadmill. He told me to pay attention to how the support feels and whether the soles are losing their rigidity. He also said that I'll start to feel it and I'll likely know when I need new shoes.

TheVBs
03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
All new shoes have a "break in period". Your shoes will stretch slightly in the area that is causing problems right now. Asics are really good about that, I've found.

If they are not better within about 2 weeks, go back to the store and don't leave there until you have a shoe that causes NO discomfort.

So glad to report that they're better! :) No more discomfort.

On another note, I did notice in the last 15 minutes on the treadmill that I start to drag my feet a little. I'm wondering if that contributed to the bruised toes? I've cut the time down from an hour to 45 minutes and I'm trying to make up for the lost time by varying the speed and incline more. Does that seem logical?