PDA

View Full Version : Fast Pass Pet Peeve

AndrewJackson
03-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I am always amazed at the number of people that do not "get" fast pass. The whole point of fast pass is that your place in line Is saved while you go do something else - restroom, eat, another ride, etc.

My pet peeve is when people get their fast pass, then wait at the attraction for their time.

One extreme was at Living with the Land. Standby was 20 minutes. The fast pass window was 30 minutes later. My wife and I decided we wanted a coffee the a piece of the nearly zero calorie triple chocolate cake! :secret:

So, we got our fast passes, enjoyed our coffee and cake, and went on the ride with zero wait. In the meantime, we watched a family get their fast passes, and stand there for 30 minutes waiting to use their fast passes. I don't think they had any idea that they could have been on the ride 10 minutes earlier by going standby.

I just wonder If Disney should provide some better education regarding fast passes. Maybe even some "strategies" that can be used to take best advantage of the fast pass system.

Please, don't be that tourist. :D

Disdaddy
03-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Or when you here people asking how much a FP cost.

MOJoe
03-05-2011, 10:18 AM
All the education in the world will not help some people.

Those who have a desire to understand the Disney system, or anything else for that matter, will find a way. But the masses of people who don't have a clue will always continue to be oblivious to their surroundings. And also likely complain that they have beed mistreated in some way.

Some people you just can't help.

paulsheri
03-05-2011, 10:36 AM
We just got back from WDW, yesterday, and I was always instructing the use of the fast pass, to someone, each time we got ours, most of the time it was explaining what the time block was for. One time someone in front of us was trying to use a credit card, which was blue to get the fast pass, when I saw this, I told them of the mistake, and they stood there and "dug" around in their pocket looking for the WDW card, meanwhile holding up the line.

lovinmesomedisney
03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
The problem is, some people go to Disney maybe once, or twice in their lifetimes. It is not something people really educate themselves on. It's a vacation and they "Wing It." I will be the first to admit, that when I look back to our first trip, we were totally overwhelmed and had no idea of all the planning and strategy involved in "Knowing" the system. Now, after 18 trips, I totally get it, and I will help anyone I know going for their first time, so that they may not make the same mistakes we made on our first trip.

Basket Mommy
03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I totally agree with MOJoe.

My husband was doing business at the bank recently when he overheard one of the managers talking about how excited she was about an upcoming Disney trip. She'd never been before, but was talking about all the stuff she wanted to do with her daughter. At the top of her list was breakfast with Cinderella. My husband stopped to talk to her on the way out, politely explaining that he didn't mean to eavesdrop, but he wanted to make sure she knew about the 180-day ADR mark for breakfast with Cinderella. She had NO CLUE and was just going to walk up and ask for a table when she got there. She was so thankful for hubby's advice. I could just imagine the disappointment that the little girl would've felt if Mom had built up CRT and then they'd been turned away.

I don't care where we go, we ALWAYS read up on the destination. If I'm going to be spending money on anything, I want to know more about it. I can't believe some people spend thousands on Disney trips and don't pick up one travel guide because they think it's "just an amusement park" like Six Flags or Cedar Point.

Once I was at concierge at WL when a grandmother walked up and asked, "What is there to do here for children?" Concierge asked if she meant the hotel. She said, "No. At Disney World." HELLO?

WDWdriver
03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Many guests are just plain intimidated by FastPass. They think they have to pay for it, or don't know how to use it. We often see guests get a FP from the machine and bring it straight to the entrance for admission to the attraction. We patiently explain that they must wait until the time window, and even then they often don't "get" it.

On the positive side, I am seeing less hostility from those in the standby line as FP guests go ahead of them. Maybe the concept is sinking in after all.

Not everyone is an experienced WDW visitor. If you have questions about how to use FP, PLEASE ask the Cast Member at the FP distribution machines or attraction entrance. We want to help you use the system to your advantage.

faline
03-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't care where we go, we ALWAYS read up on the destination. If I'm going to be spending money on anything, I want to know more about it.

I totally agree. Even with all the reading I do before I go somewhere new, I know I make mistakes a more seasoned traveler to that location would not make.

On the other hand, Disney has done EVERYTHING possible to educate folks on fast pass and its use. There are instructions in the park guidemap on hos to use Fast Fass. There's informationon the in-room Disney channel at the resorts on it as well. I'm not sure what else they can do to make people aware of it and the process.

JPL
03-05-2011, 08:18 PM
I never understand how people can go on vacation without doing any research on the place they are visiting :confused: A vacation is an investment and very expensive most of the time so why would you want to go blindly? Do these same people buy a car without any research? A computer? A TV? I had a friend who wanted a new digital camera and spent weeks researching it online. He spent about $300 on his new camera that he was taking on his family vacation to WDW but refused to even read the most basic information about WDW. So he spent many hours researching a $300 camera but not a second researching a $4000 vacation :shake: Needless to say he was overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, and angry on his vacation.

Becky2005
03-05-2011, 10:34 PM
It boggles my mind how FP can be so misundersood.

It's practically shoved down your throat on all their advertising. I know they cover it in the planning DVD. In 2005, it was on the maps - I'm assuming it still is.

It just seems no matter what I'm reading, looking at for Disney there is something about FP on it.

Of course, I'm a researcher but even if I wasn't I would at least grab a park map and see it talked about.

I'm one that researches just about everything though...doesn't mean I don't forget it all when I get there and definitely make mistakes but at least I try to have basic concept stuff down.

KatrinaJ91
03-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I never understand how people can go on vacation without doing any research on the place they are visiting :confused: A vacation is an investment and very expensive most of the time so why would you want to go blindly? Do these same people buy a car without any research? A computer? A TV? I had a friend who wanted a new digital camera and spent weeks researching it online. He spent about $300 on his new camera that he was taking on his family vacation to WDW but refused to even read the most basic information about WDW. So he spent many hours researching a $300 camera but not a second researching a $4000 vacation :shake: Needless to say he was overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, and angry on his vacation.

I agree! I do tons of research when we go anywhere...even if we've been there before! I find it a very exciting build-up to the actual trip. I am always afraid I will miss something great if I don't do a little research first! We have been to WDW around 30 times and I STILL do my research before our next trip!! I need to know of any changes or new things. But I know there are so many people that just "wing it" and those are the people that hate going on vacation. Amazes me!

phinzup
03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm very much a research and plan ahead guy. No matter where I go, I plan ahead. I've even had a taxi driver in NYC ask when I left NY, because I gave him directions through Queens and across the Queensboro from LaGuardia as we headed to 54th/2nd. I told him, "I haven't been here in 25 years, and the last time I was here I was 3." He was stunned, and it made me feel good. :thumbsup:

Fastpasssteve
03-06-2011, 02:49 AM
I direct plays and musicals as one aspect of my career. People, I have found, appreciate and need clear instruction. Be clear, be direct, be brief...and then smile.

DreamFinder2
03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Although I agree with everyone regarding Disney's attempt to educate people about FP and how some people just don't get it, let's not generalize about the common vacationer too much. Face it, here we are on this site...obviously we take our Disney (and probably other) vacation planning seriously...some people just don't share that vision.

In 1 week, I'm heading to WDW with a group of 5 couples. 9 out of the 10 people going haven't spent any significant amount of time at WDW at all. I've been trying to "politely force" them to do some planning...otherwise, they too, would just show up on Mickey's doorstep next Sunday and say "Ok...now what?" Since I love the planning aspect of my WDW trips, I've taken it upon myself to do some behind the scenes planning. I've even made some ADRs for the group, assuming when we get there they'll be thrilled that I thought ahead so much and am so organized :mickey:

So, let's make it OUR mission as Intercotees to help politely educate the masses about the World we love so much :D

BluewaterBrad
03-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Everything thing is clearly explained. The Dumbing Down of America continues!!:mickey:

brownie
03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
It shouldn't bother you. If they want to spend their time that way, more power to them.

Of course, it does mean that's fewer people in line if you're hitting up attractions elsewhere while you're waiting on your Fastpass. ;)

PeterPan
03-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Friends, you are not getting to the root of the problem. Here it is...PEOPLE DO NOT READ. You know its true! Also, (everyone has said this) most of these people who do not "get" FastPass are newbies. They are confused and overwhelmed. They did not READ before they left, and they are not READING once they arrive.

Watch "Amazing Race." The people who lose are almost invariable the ones who DO NOT READ THE CLUES PROPERLY.

I am a teacher. The students (in COLLEGE) who do not do well - it is usually because THEY DO NOT READ.

People who get lost on the roadway or have accidents - sometimes it is because THEY DO NOT READ.

johnO
03-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I am always amazed at the number of people that do not "get" fast pass. The whole point of fast pass is that your place in line Is saved while you go do something else - restroom, eat, another ride, etc.

My pet peeve is when people get their fast pass, then wait at the attraction for their time.

One extreme was at Living with the Land. Standby was 20 minutes. The fast pass window was 30 minutes later. My wife and I decided we wanted a coffee the a piece of the nearly zero calorie triple chocolate cake! :secret:

So, we got our fast passes, enjoyed our coffee and cake, and went on the ride with zero wait. In the meantime, we watched a family get their fast passes, and stand there for 30 minutes waiting to use their fast passes. I don't think they had any idea that they could have been on the ride 10 minutes earlier by going standby.

I just wonder If Disney should provide some better education regarding fast passes. Maybe even some "strategies" that can be used to take best advantage of the fast pass system.

Please, don't be that tourist. :D

See, sometimes we'll get FPs, get into the standby line, ride the ride, then hop right back into the FP line to use our fastpasses. But youre right, it doesnt make sense to get a FP then stand around waiting for the FP time..

MOJoe
03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Friends, you are not getting to the root of the problem. Here it is...PEOPLE DO NOT READ. You know its true!

That's exactly what i'm talking about.

And as far as FastPassSteve says, that people need clear instruction. That's quite true. And in a teaching situation, critical. But life outside a classroom is very different. People's pride gets in their way. Asking for help with "simple" things like directions, reservations, fastpasses, ect. makes some people feel inadequate. They would rather do things "My Way" instead of reading the directions themselves or, heaven forbid, asking for help.

These people, who have never swallowed their pride, or recognized the value of assistance, are who i refer to saying, you just can't help. I'm not trying to be harsh. But i just recognize that people act the same no matter where they are....even at Disney World.

Ian
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
The problem is, some people go to Disney maybe once, or twice in their lifetimes.That is part of the problem. I totally agree.

Although here's what I don't get ... in today's day and age of instant access to information, why don't people spend a couple hours Googling Disney World and reading what comes up??? :confused:

I'm not talking about geeking out and posting 1,000 questions on discussion boards and stuff, but come on ... Google "Fastpass" and read the first explanation that comes up. Google "Dining in Disney World" ... it's not that hard, people.

DizneyRox
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
It is education, however...

Part of the "problem" may be that people are so used to getting nickle and dimed about every little thing (not just Disney BTW), you can't really blame them for thinking there's a charge.

Here's the deal... You're staying on property, and you want a snack. What do you do? You give them your room key, they charge your room, and you eat your snack. Want that cute stuffed tigger in the store? Again, swipe your card, they charge your room and you own a new stuffed animal. So now, you want me to swipe my card in a machine for what? To ride that? I'll just stand in line, it's only 40 minutes! I wouldn't fault them for assuming there's a charge for that too

Yes, education would be nice, but I really don't know how much else they can do. It's plastered on all the check-in materials, guide maps, and even around the fastpass machines. The only thing missing would be a big old FREE banner.

Maybe the plan is to start charging and they don't want to much evidence that it was once free.

Mousemates
03-07-2011, 06:20 PM

I agree to a point....but occasionally we still do a change of pace vacation where we have no agenda and no plan....but simply go. (and i don't just mean for the weekend, we live in TN and have wound up in places as far away as New Mexico, the Great Lakes and Maine without a true plan to go there) These have actually been some of the best and most relaxing trips we have taken. They have also allowed us to see some wonderful lesser known places that we would have missed if we would have stuck to the standard plan of "must sees" that vacation research tends to create.

I imagine there are also quite a few folks who wind up at disney without really planning on being there....we did several unplanned "one day trips" back when our kids were much younger during times we were vacationing in the clearwater beach area...and on those trips we were pretty clueless about how things worked...and probably got on a lot of disney veterans nerves...but we had a good time nevertheless.

Remember, if you don't know what your missing...you also don't know to be upset about missing it.

UCJen
03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
If you've never been, I think WDW can be extremely overwhelming. You can read about it 'til the cows come home, but it's pretty much an abstraction until you get there. I can see how people can get bedazzled on their first trip and maybe get caught up in the small things like Fastpasses.

Some more grist for the mill, look at WDW wesbite or commercials...they don't accurately reflect the attendance or even the sheer scale of the WDW. Or what about those commericials where the little kids just bounds into Mickey's arms--not a line or CM in sight. It's spontaneous character interaction.

Also, my local Six Flags charges for a "Flash Pass" (as I'm sure they all do), so I could certainly see why people would think you have to pay for one at WDW.

Just a different POV. :mickey:

LVT
03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
I fear a mouse-hatted accountant will read these responses and decipher that FastPass does not need to be free.

DizneyRox
03-08-2011, 03:37 AM
I fear a mouse-hatted accountant will read these responses and decipher that FastPass does not need to be free.
No need to fear, I'm positive they already have discovered that, they just need to figure out how to charge for it. Everything is looked at as a possible revenue stream.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as the way to go back to a ride ticket based system. $1.00 for an a-ticket attraction, $5.00 for an e-ticket, and $1 for Peter Pan, $10 for Mickey Mouse...

Ian
03-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Some more grist for the mill, look at WDW wesbite or commercials...they don't accurately reflect the attendance or even the sheer scale of the WDW. Or what about those commericials where the little kids just bounds into Mickey's arms--not a line or CM in sight. It's spontaneous character interaction.Yeah, this annoys me. I find their commercials to be a very disingenuous representation of what their parks are like.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as the way to go back to a ride ticket based system. $1.00 for an a-ticket attraction, $5.00 for an e-ticket, and $1 for Peter Pan, $10 for Mickey Mouse...Doubtful. They don't want to leave that much spending up to discretion if they can avoid it. They want you forking over a big lump sum all at once.

Polynesian Dweller
03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah, this annoys me. I find their commercials to be a very disingenuous representation of what their parks are like.

True enough, the ads paint a very pretty picture. I wonder how effective an ad like 'here's little Billy waiting in a 45 minute line to see Mickey' would be. Or how about, 'here's the Edmonds family, they've been stuck on IASM for 1 hr after the ride broke down'.

Come to think of it that might be interesting at that.

Polynesian Dweller
03-08-2011, 09:44 AM

General rule on these things. If you've thought of this the TPTB already have, and likely much worse. It's a scary thought, they are always one step ahead of us.

DizneyRox
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see this as the way to go back to a ride ticket based system. $1.00 for an a-ticket attraction, $5.00 for an e-ticket, and $1 for Peter Pan, $10 for Mickey Mouse...
Doubtful. They don't want to leave that much spending up to discretion if they can avoid it. They want you forking over a big lump sum all at once.
I didn't say/think they would get rid of regular admission prices. I'm guessing this would be in addition to a gate price. Total speculation of course, but we've been hearing for years of the possibility of going back to the old ticket books.

By going to a pay version of the fastpass, they don't really take anything away from the normal guests. they can give more to those that want to pay for it. Really want to meet MM now? Swipe your card and this door will open to only a 5 minute wait. Otherwise, step in that line, he'll see you in an hour.

PopPhan
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM

They might as well hand you a slip when you enter the park (any of the parks) listing what rides you can go and at what time...That would eliminate the need for FastPass altogether!!!

Or maybe just hand out a "Dream FastPass" to everyone entering the park...

"Number crunchers" sure know how to take the fun and spontaneity out of everything!! The "Most Magical Place on Earth" is quickly becoming the "Most Managed Place on Earth"...

garymacd
03-08-2011, 11:33 AM
...obviously we take our Disney (and probably other) vacation planning seriously...

"Other vacation planning"??

There are other vacation destinations? Why didn't I get that memo?

Seriously, I hate to see anyone waste their time not using FastPass to the extreme, but I have never seen this before. Now I will have to watch for it when we are there in May.

Mousemates
03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
It's spontaneous character interaction.

The probability of experiencing a SCI (spontaneous character interaction) is much less than seeing a UFO.

FriendsofMickey
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
In all fairness to a lot of the "unknowning /unplanning guests:"

I am a huge planner. However, for my first trip to DW (Honeymoon, '96). The planning was done by my dh and his father. I had never been there and he had been twice.

Their plan was this: They made the resort resservations and bought the tickets.

We went to the parks with no plan, we grabbed a map and a guide at the front of the parks. We had a method, but no plan. We had a great time, without a plan.

However, '96 Disney was a lot different from today's Disney. The difference: Fast pass, Dining plan, character queues, ....

For someone who has never been or has been early on, why would they think it was the different from any other amusement park.

When you plan a trip to say Six Flags, you might pull up the website for six flags, look at what riders are available and maybe where you plan to eat that day (if you are going for a few days, you will pick your hotel). I am guessing you would not make ressies at a local restaurant. Why would you make ressies, you are going to the park for fun, not to go out eating somewhere?

So, for those people that come to Disney without a real plan, I completely understand. They just do NOT know. Even if they pulled up Disney website and started viewing through, there is a good chance that they wouldn't catch on that they better get a plan together.

Last trip (in November), I met a young couple on the bus to AK. While talking to them, they said that they had lunching time dining reservations at MK. They wanted to stay at AK because that was the only day they would be there. They knew (from someone) that they needed to make ressies for dining in advance. But, when they made them, they had no concept of what it meant to leave AK to get to MK.
I helped them pick a restaurant at AK and told them how to get there (Tusker House). I also gave them other hints that they were very thankful for.

So, long post to make the point that unless you understand Disney and all the parks. You can plan to your heart's content and still fall very short.

CaptainSad
03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Or when you here people asking how much a FP cost.

20 Bucks...lol I am the Fass Pass scalper...

CaptainSad
03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
No need to fear, I'm positive they already have discovered that, they just need to figure out how to charge for it. Everything is looked at as a possible revenue stream.

If they did this I would expect them to drop regular park admission way down. If not they would lose a lot of guests..

PETE FROM NYC
03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Some folks just do not get it.
DW and I head up vacations for friends and relatives all the time. We do the planning, make the ADRs, and sometimes our travelmates STILL DON'T GET IT.
As comedian Ray White once said: You can't fix stupid!!!

Imagineer1981
03-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I always like when they stand by the FP return entrance and block the entire area because their time is still 10 minutes away. Then a line forms and people who should be able to go in, have to fight their way through

AndrewJackson
03-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I always like when they stand by the FP return entrance and block the entire area because their time is still 10 minutes away. Then a line forms and people who should be able to go in, have to fight their way through

That really makes me :mad:!

WLfans
03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
We plan out the moves like a tag team.
Get in the gates collect the tics and go for the most popular rides. Feed the FP get the passes and get back to the wife and kids and enjoy the time.

Pet peeve, we go in July and get the Brazilian tour groups. They collect the tickets for 30 to 40 kids in a shot. Feed the FP machine and clog the system. It defeats the purpose. We finally went off on a CM at toy story. We really had enough. Our FP wait once in the FP line was 40 mins. Going this August hopefully they left by then.