PDA

View Full Version : Tips for smoking guests - ?

abillion13
03-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Hello all -

I have friends who smoke -- Does anyone have any tips or stories for cigarette smokers to have a great time in the parks without feeling too restricted?

Also what about for pipe smokers? Are the designated smoking areas for pipe smokers as well or are there separate designated spots for pipes?

(Please no comments like "just quit!" -- Disney should be enjoyable for everyone, even those who are suffering from addiction. Thank you)

Pop Centurion
03-04-2011, 08:59 PM
2 years ago we took my Wife's Niece & her boyfriend who are both smokers. There was more than enough designated smoke areas for them two. As a matter of fact, they drove us nuts because it seemed like every other ride they wanted to stop & smoke which slowed us down considerably. We didn't really make a big deal because we just wanted them to have a good time & didn't want them to feel as if they were a burden. It was just something we dealt with.

If you search online you will find scanned copies of the park maps that show the smoking areas.

mgmnut
03-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I feel their pain, although I quit 3.5 years ago, all my trips to Disney I had been a smoker. This July it will be our first smoke free trip, my wife quit also.

I had always found there were plenty of clearly marked, designated smoking areas throughout the parks.

We never felt too restricted, except maybe around Fantasyland. They are mostly nice well kept areas. The park maps have them marked also.

I'm not too sure about pipe smoking, I would think smoking means smoking, that would include pipes. Just use your best judgement, be considerate to the non-smokers, and I will think you will be just fine. I never had an issue in all my times there.

paragon
03-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Plot the course, use the park maps to locate the smoking areas, ( hopefully the mos are up to date, as they have removed some areas which were still listed on the maps last year )
here are a few spots I know of in MK:
On the corner of Main St, by the hat shop,
near the old swan boat landing,
to the right rear of the castle,
next to Tomorrowland Speedway,
to the right of BTM exit-as you're facing BTM
Just past Swiss Family treehouse
These are all placed in such a way that it shouldn't impede your park progress if you time it right.

Scar
03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I have never seen a sign that read "Cigarette Smoking Area."

Dyanna
03-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I have only ever seen 1 sign for a smoking area & that was found in Animal Kingdom.

SandmanGStefani24
03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
another ex smoker here, funny how you don't see something as much when you don't need it anymore! lol...

I can only remember the last place I smoked, which was the area behind the poolside bar at AS Music. I actually liked that smoking area because it was a little out of the way and you didn't seem to have people walking by annoyed at you for smoking in an approved area. ;)

abillion13
03-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I did find a site that posts maps of the parks and resorts with the smoking areas marked.

Looks like MK has the most stops, AK the least, but it seems like there are enough choices.

I tried posting a similar question in the Accommodations forum to find what might be the best on-site resort for smokers but oddly it was deleted....?

magicalmom
03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
In the MK there's a lovely little smoking area behind the Christmas shop in Liberty Square - even most smokers don't find it!

artyboy
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Don't always rely completely on the maps, as they move them on occasion...especially if you are there during a special event like Flower and Garden or Food and Wine.

And tell your friends not to feel guilty for smoking where they are supposed to. Last trip we watched a lady stomp over to a guy who was smoking in a designated area and chew him out for smoking where her children could see. I felt really bad for the guy, and told him to just ignore her, as he was following the rules.

JerseyDad
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
....as a VERY infrequent cigar smoker (like...1 or 2 a month.....maybe....and only in warm months)....I can see the concern for fiinding the "proper" place to have a smoke without getting complaints from non-smokers. When I'm at the resort...the bar area near the pool is my spot...and again...I get no complaints. The only "park" that I'd ever want to have a ciagar at...is EPCOT....while watching Illuminations. And then....I am usually somewhere between Italy and Germany....back on the grass near the model railroad....and no one ever bothers me.

03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
In the MK there's a lovely little smoking area behind the Christmas shop in Liberty Square - even most smokers don't find it!

This one has been gone (moved to the river walk across from the shooting gallery) since the fall of 09 when the gazebo became the meet & greet for Princess Tiana.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-07-2011, 10:15 AM
My only complaint is when smokers smoke outside of designated areas which is not only inconsiderate but dangerous to children like mine who have asthma....:soapbox:

Having said that, I actually am a former smoker and found on my only trip as a smoker that Disney has an adequate amount of designated areas in the parks...the maps you pick up at the front the parks will indicate where they can smoke and I have occassionally seen pipe smokers there as well. I find that the smoking areas always have the trash cans with the ashtray top so that is a pretty clear indicator of a smoking area. It seems a lot of them are located not far from restrooms also....

brivers222
03-07-2011, 01:45 PM
2 years ago we took my Wife's Niece & her boyfriend who are both smokers. There was more than enough designated smoke areas for them two. As a matter of fact, they drove us nuts because it seemed like every other ride they wanted to stop & smoke which slowed us down considerably.

yep!

Trust me... the smokers will very quickly find the smoking areas there and you being a non-smoker will know exactly where they are and spend a great deal of time waiting for them.

every 10mins we were stopping for a puff and after every ride we would have to go seek out the spot and sit and wait...

i did that my last two trips before last... I don't say quit smoking... i just quit taking them along ;)

Scar
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
I've spent one day with a smoker. When he wanted a smoke I just said, "I'll be at _______. Meet me there." Problem solved.

Hammer
03-07-2011, 02:30 PM
As some of the previous posters have stated, don't rely solely on the park maps. My sister has found that to be especially true at Hollywood Studios. There is a smoking area down by RNRC and ToT which seems to be moved every time we visit and the map has it in the general area and for some reason there aren't smoking area signs in this park like the other 3. Just look for any CM and they should be able to show you where it is located.

When my sister goes to have a smoke, sometimes I join her and have met some really great people. No different than chatting with someone in line. Other times, I take that as an opportunity to go the ladies room or go to a shop which she is not interested in.

ransam
03-09-2011, 12:27 AM
you can't even smoke in your rooms, right?

abillion13
03-09-2011, 03:32 AM
you can't even smoke in your rooms, right?

As far as I am aware, smoking is only permitted in designated smoking areas outside. There are no longer any smoking optional rooms on site.

plutolovr
03-10-2011, 01:21 PM
As far as I am aware, smoking is only permitted in designated smoking areas outside. There are no longer any smoking optional rooms on site.

Absolutely correct. Disney has banned smoking at all the resorts. Smoking is prohibited in rooms and on all balconies and patios. There are designated smoking areas around each resort. Just ask for a resort map and they are marked on there.

Aurora
03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
One of the areas I see smokers occasionally bending the rules is having a smoke on their balconies outside their rooms. They seem to think that since they're not smoking in the room itself, no harm done.

I'm just making a polite request for anyone who might be thinking of doing this, not to. It seems innocent enough, but it does affect other guests nearby, particularly if the smoker is on a lower floor. And you don't want the embarrassment of a cast member knocking on your door because another guest has complained (which does happen).

Thank you to all the considerate smokers out there!