PDA

View Full Version : Emh

mgmnut
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
When we are there in July,evening EMH has MK open until 2am. My 13 y/o twins are really excited to be able to be at Magic Kingdom that late at night.

Can anyone share thier experince being in MK that late at night?

How low do the crowds go, or do they go low at all?

We are planning to go to AK durng the day, dinner at Wilderness Lodge, and over to MK for EMH's. If you are staying onsite, do you have to be in the park by a certain time to participate in EMH?

Pop Centurion
03-03-2011, 04:33 PM
You can enter the EMH park at anytime.
I'm guessing you already know but if not, you will need a park hopper since you are going to a different park than your original you started the day with. Otherwise it will count as a second day.

MarkC
03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
We've done this a couple of times with teenage boys. They love it. What you'll probably find is that the first hour will still be really crowded, the 2nd hour will be average, and by the last hour you will be able to walk on about everything except Space Mountain. SM always has a long wait in summer. We were able to stay on Splash, BTMRR, and Jungle Cruise although we changed to a different boat just to get a new skipper. Its an awesome time, but good luck getting them up early the next day.

MOJoe
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I've done this several times over the last few years. The first couple of times it was a fantastic experience. We virtually had MK to ourselves for a couple of hours. Riding Buzz over and over without getting off, riding Space Mountain 5 times in a row - these are some of my kids best memories.

However, the last time we attempted to do this,(June 09) MK was so packed it was impossible. Even at 1:00 am the lines for everything were as long as at mid-day. We didn't try to make it to the end.

So it's hard to say. Was it just that particular time that was super busy, or has word gotten out? I'm not sure.

In any case, the best way to do this, is relax or even nap at your resort in the afternoon. That way you can stay till the very end when the crowds finally thin out. Any time you can have MK to "yourself" even if for only 30 minutes, is worth whatever the extra effort it takes. Really.

joonyer
03-03-2011, 05:07 PM
You can enter the EMH park at anytime.
I'm guessing you already know but if not, you will need a park hopper since you are going to a different park than your original you started the day with. Otherwise it will count as a second day.

Close, but not exactly correct. You will not even be able to use a "second day" of a multi-day pass. The only way you can enter a second park on the same day without a park hopper is to purchase a separate one-day pass, which costs more than the hopper.

If you are going to MK anywhere near the 4th of July, you can expect it to be very crowded, even late at night.

TinaAndGlenn
03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
We did this after Christmas one year & it was a lot of fun. The outdoor rides are beautiful late at night. When we went, they handed out bracelets to those staying on resort property. You need to have them with you for everyone in your party. They were checking them at AK the night we went for admission to certain areas of the park.

TinaAndGlenn
03-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Sorry about the confusing post-I got excited!
What I meant was: you need to show your resort room key card to get a bracelet for EMH. You will need a resort key card for everyone in your party. I do not know if they still do it this way or not.

03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
No wrist bands, just the resort card, one for each person.

gerald72
03-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Here is my experince with EMH at MK.
The first two hours are extremely full, but the attendance drops off sharply for the final hour. It's almost not worthwhile if you aren't staying the entire time.
One other note, try going to Fantasyland in the final half hour. A lot of times, the popular characters come out (hardly any lines) and ride the attractions with the few remaining guests.

Jared
03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
My brother and I almost always utilize the evening Extra Magic Hours, but we've had mixed experiences regarding crowds. Most of the time, the first couple hours are mobbed -- even more crowded than earlier every day. The other three parks close, and thousands of people descend on the Magic Kingdom looking for something to do. If you can stay awake long enough, the last hour is typically quiet and a prime time to try the popular attractions.

That said, you'd probably get more done by sleeping and arriving at the park early the next morning before the masses arrive.

ransam
03-04-2011, 12:12 AM
I love the late hours...usually the crowds are so thin....it's easy to get on the rides...you'll love it.

mgmnut
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
If you are going to MK anywhere near the 4th of July, you can expect it to be very crowded, even late at night.
We are puposly trying to avoid the July 4th crowds by going July 16th through the 23rd. There are actually 2 night of evening EMH at MK during our stay, the 17th and the 22nd. We are planning on taking advantage of both of them.

Its an awesome time, but good luck getting them up early the next day.
I am more worried about DW and I getting up the next day. My two are all go go go, especially when at WDW.

Any time you can have MK to "yourself" even if for only 30 minutes, is worth whatever the extra effort it takes. Really.
I couldn't agree more. last trip in 5/2006 we got to MK at opening, hopped on the train and rode to Frontierland, walked right on Splash Mountain, ran around the queue, walked right on again, 3rd time CM said we could just stay on and sent us through again. We then ran over to BTMRR and practically did the same thing. By the time Frontierland filled up we had rode each ride 3 times. Same trip, did the same thing with EE at AK. At opening we cut through Dinoland to Asia (crowd does not seem to flow that way), walked right on EE, which had just opened that year I think (So the Yeti Actually worked) Walked right on, ran around the queue, waited 1 train, got on again. Line was now pretty long, Used some Instant Fast passes we had and at the same time used our park tickets to get regular fast passes. Rode with the instant fast pass, got off,waited 5 mins, Used the regular fast passes. Man I thought my head was going to explode after the 5th ride. :sick: When we go to the World I am like a kid. My DW says I am like a 12 year old. When at WDW I take that as a compliment. :mickey:

Thanks eveyone for the great responses, Can't wait til the kids get home from school today to share them with them. I think being at MK so late is going to be the highlight of the trip, it's what they are most excited about.

PrettyMinnie
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
We did this with a group of about 10 teenagers. Perfect! We walked on BTMR, Splash, Dumbo and even Space Mountain once. Mickey and Minnie and Pooh and friends were also out with no wait. We have a picture in front of the castle at 2 AM with no one else there! And walked down Main Street by ourselves!! Some of the shops were still open so we grabbed a late night snack on our way out. Well, well, worth it!!!

KylesMom
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Our experience (July & early August) is that Evening EMH hours are INSANE the first few hours. Everyone is trying to avoid the summertime heat by participating in evening EMH. Just prepare yourselves that for the first hour or two the crowds will still be crazy-busy. We've seen it busier during evening EMH at times than the daylight hours. It is wonderful to see MK all lit up, though!

If you plan on staying for the duration, I would definitely plan on a SLOW start the day after!

We'll be at Disney July 9-24 this year - maybe we'll see you there! :mickey:

crazygoalie39
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Night time at WDW is my absolute most favorite thing in the entire world! It is just so magical and beautiful. Like others, I've had really busy nights and nights where me and my family were virtually the only ones in the park. Either way, I would never miss EMH at night at any park. There's plenty to do and take in even if the rides have long waits.

Stitch98
03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
At opening we cut through Dinoland to Asia (crowd does not seem to flow that way), walked right on EE, which had just opened that year I think (So the Yeti Actually worked) Walked right on, ran around the queue, waited 1 train, got on again. Line was now pretty long, Used some Instant Fast passes we had and at the same time used our park tickets to get regular fast passes. Rode with the instant fast pass, got off,waited 5 mins, Used the regular fast passes.
My family did the same thing, we went straight to Expedition and went on it three whole times before the line became to long.:coaster:

PeterPan
03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
My one suggestion - and this is probably not possible with guys that age.
IF you can get them to rest a little while in the heat of the afternoon - even if it is just laying around the pool - you will have a lot more energy for the nighttime onslaught of the MK. The awful heat of the Florida summer just DRAINS my family, but if we can rest a little while, and get out of the heat, we are good to go for the late-night EMH.