PDA

View Full Version : New LeCellier Dinner Menu

MOJoe
03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
The new Dinner Menu at LeCellier is out. There are numerous changes, especially to the appetizers offered. But the real change seems to be the pricing. For example, the Cheddar Cheese Soup remains, but it's no longer 6.99. Now $9

Here's what i found. Without going into too much detail.

Appetizers

Spicy Chicken & Chipotle Sausage $14
Crab & Heirloom Apple Salad $16
Steakhouse Caeser Salad $9
Black & Blue Steak Tartar $16
Heirloom Tomato Salad $12
Artisan Cheese Assortment $14
Grilled Jumbo Asparagus $13
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup $9
"LeCellier" Lobster Chopped Salad $10

Entrees

"LeCellier" Mushroom Filet $40
Grilled Bone in Rib-Eye $37
Charred Pork Tenderloin $37
Prime New York Strip $42
Wild Pacific King Salmon $44
Gooseberry Cod $35
Roasted Duck Breast & Leg Confit $28
Roasted Venison Medallions $32
Spring Vegetable, Mushroom & Goat Cheese Quiche $27

Sides

"Poutine" Fries $8
Black Truffle Crushed Potatoes $8
Creamed Spinich $6
Maple Glazed Rainbow Carrots $8
Sauteed Mushrooms $6
Baked Macaroni & Cheese $8

As you who have been to LeCellier can see, the prices are higher. Up to %35. Is is worth it? Time will tell.

Anyway, i plan on eating here in May. I'll let you know what i think then. :mickey:

faline
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Ate there a few weeks ago (before the menu changed) but did not book it for my next trip. I'd be curious to see if they remain constantly booked up as they have been or if folks will head for less expensive restaurants instead?

Dsnygirl
03-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Yikes... seems they did a nice job changing up the menu, but also made the prices match the new "2 TS credits" pricing category, which I guess they had to do... they are now in-line with all the other 2 TS restaurants. I guess only time will tell if it's worth it... until then, we'll go there for lunch and save our 2 TS credits for the dinner shows and other places that have proved their worth. (and imagine.... paying $9 for cheese soup?? It's good, but really?? I MIGHT pay that for a bowl of lobster bisque... overlooking the ocean... ;))

NJGIRL
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I had a feeling that they were going to raise their prices. I'm sorry but no bowl of soup is worth $9. :(

BraddyB
03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I've been there before, I dont see a need to go back especially looking at those prices. I would much rather go to Ruth's Chris or Morton's.

Jared
03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
I should preface my post by acknowledging that I have never understood the massive hype surrounding Le Cellier and considered it Disney's most overrated restaurant. It always seemed like a relatively basic steakhouse with exorbitant prices -- nothing most families couldn't find in their hometowns.

But I sympathize and commiserate with Le Cellier fans after seeing the new menu. The changes continue the disturbing trend of Disney gearing every restaurant decision toward pushing people unwittingly into the dining plan. Few reasonable groups will pay out-of-pocket for dinner at Le Cellier now, and I suppose that's exactly what Disney wants.

I have always disliked the dining plan. It forces me to pay for food I don't want and has created this ridiculous culture of making dining reservations six months in advance. However, as more restaurants essentially become "dining plan only" like Le Cellier, I may have no other choice.

As a postscript, remember that the free dining plan is a complete scam to extract more money from your wallets. Brilliant marketing ploy that dupes even the most strident Disney fans.

Dulcee
03-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Appetizers

Spicy Chicken & Chipotle Sausage $14 (Up from $10)
Crab & Heirloom Apple Salad $16
Steakhouse Caeser Salad $9 ( Up from $ 7)
Black & Blue Steak Tartar $16
Heirloom Tomato Salad $12 (Up from $9)
Artisan Cheese Assortment $14
Grilled Jumbo Asparagus $13
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup $9 (Up from $6 for a cup and $7 for a bowl)
"LeCellier" Lobster Chopped Salad $10

Entrees

"LeCellier" Mushroom Filet $40 (Up from $36)
Grilled Bone in Rib-Eye $37
Charred Pork Tenderloin $37 (Previous offered pork chop $24)
Prime New York Strip $42 (Previous Strip offering $33)
Wild Pacific King Salmon $44 (Previous salmon offering $24)
Gooseberry Cod $35 (Fish of the day offering normally $24)
Roasted Duck Breast & Leg Confit $28
Roasted Venison Medallions $32
Spring Vegetable, Mushroom & Goat Cheese Quiche $27) (previous vegetarian offering $19)

Sides

"Poutine" Fries $8 (Up from $6)
Black Truffle Crushed Potatoes $8
Creamed Spinich $6 (the same, go figure)
Maple Glazed Rainbow Carrots $8
Sauteed Mushrooms $6
Baked Macaroni & Cheese $8 (Up from $6)

So some the above was stolen from the first poster (just giving credit) but I was interested in what had actually changed and what they had just jacked the price on. Seems to me that little has been done to make this menu worthy of its price tag, many of the meals are simple re-dos, or should I say renaming of old meals. And really $27 for a quiche? $13 for an asparagus appetizer?

Frankly I always enjoyed Le Cellier as a nice meal at a decent, if a bit elevated price. Now, unless they seriously revamp the above menu I'll be staying away. You can get a far more gourmet meal, far worthier of the price at other locations in the World.

retiredfigment
03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
It was yummy as a single credit, but would never use two TS, and I would definitely pay those prices!

gregf71
03-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Any notion how the dining plan works with the sides? As it reads, you get choice of an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. Are the sides separate and require out of pocket payment? :confused:

And, have the prices and choices changed for the kid's options as well?

Checkers
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Once upon a time (like 6-8 yrs. ago), LeCellier was our family's favorite. Then came the DP and we noticed a marked difference. Would have to think twice before dining there with the DP and using up 2TS credits. Many more places that we prefer. Looking forward to reviews from those who dine there after the change.

Dsnygirl
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
As a postscript, remember that the free dining plan is a complete scam to extract more money from your wallets. Brilliant marketing ploy that dupes even the most strident Disney fans.

Jared, I usually agree with you on quite a bit, but I have to respectfully disagree on this one. :blush:

We are using free dining for the first time in August, and we've used both the regular DDP and payed OOP with the TiW card, as well.

As a family of four, with two children who classify as adults, we would be paying $1840 on the DDP for 10 days. OOP, we usually spend, on average over 10 days, about $140/day including snacks. So that's about $1400 for 10 days. With the free dining in August, I'm not only going during a much cheaper time of year (my resort is not at a discount, but even a 30% AP discount at CBR can't beat a $1400 savings) but I'm saving $1400 right off the bat. We won't eat up that savings by spending more on alcohol or appetizers, as that's just not how we eat -- and we won't spend more on souveneirs b/c of it, as we go down with the same souveneir budget every trip, regardless of trip cost.

Now, that being said, Disney almost DID get me with the free dining -- as we were originally planning on staying at AKL, doing exactly what Disney wants you to do. Upgrade the cost of your resort, b/c you're saving so much on dining.

But -- after doing the math, and realizing that AKL for 10 days vs. CBR for 10 days was a $1400 upgrade, we choked and said no way... and decided on CBR, which we love anyway. AKL can wait for a shorter trip.

So, I guess I can see what you're saying, if people use the "free dining" as an excuse to spend elsewhere. But Disney does have a lot of financially savvy guests, and honestly, if you're one to watch where your money goes, free dining really is a huge savings.

Now, to put the thread back "on topic" -- free dining is ESPECIALLY great if you use it for the 2 TS meals you wouldn't normally spend the money on, or the dinner shows -- then you really do get a great bang for your buck, even at Le Cellier.

MOJoe
03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
To gregf71, sorry my source did not have desert items listed. Someone else surely will post on them later.

And thanks, Dulcee. As i was trying to compose my post, i first attempted to show what was new, what remained, and all the price changes. Your additions looks much better than my first draft! :blush:

And to NJGIRL, i was not that surprised at the new prices of the entrees. LeCellier has had food nearly as fine as that offered at some 2 credit restaurants. But at a little lower price point. Now? Well that $9 bowl of soup sums it up best.

deedeenmickey
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Are the entrees A la cart? Just curious if they came with sides? I love LeCellier I hate that they try to price normal families out of getting to experience any fine dining.

pandkx3
03-03-2011, 05:53 PM
We are going in May for lunch...which is still 1 credit. Can't see using 2 ts credits...although we love LeCllier..:mickey:

VWL Mom
03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Any notion how the dining plan works with the sides? As it reads, you get choice of an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. Are the sides separate and require out of pocket payment? :confused:

And, have the prices and choices changed for the kid's options as well?

The sides would be extra. The DDP is entree and dessert, DlxDDP includes appetizer.

Jared
03-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Jared, I usually agree with you on quite a bit, but I have to respectfully disagree on this one. :blush:

We are using free dining for the first time in August, and we've used both the regular DDP and payed OOP with the TiW card, as well.

As a family of four, with two children who classify as adults, we would be paying $1840 on the DDP for 10 days. OOP, we usually spend, on average over 10 days, about $140/day including snacks. So that's about $1400 for 10 days. With the free dining in August, I'm not only going during a much cheaper time of year (my resort is not at a discount, but even a 30% AP discount at CBR can't beat a $1400 savings) but I'm saving $1400 right off the bat. We won't eat up that savings by spending more on alcohol or appetizers, as that's just not how we eat -- and we won't spend more on souveneirs b/c of it, as we go down with the same souveneir budget every trip, regardless of trip cost.

Now, that being said, Disney almost DID get me with the free dining -- as we were originally planning on staying at AKL, doing exactly what Disney wants you to do. Upgrade the cost of your resort, b/c you're saving so much on dining.

But -- after doing the math, and realizing that AKL for 10 days vs. CBR for 10 days was a $1400 upgrade, we choked and said no way... and decided on CBR, which we love anyway. AKL can wait for a shorter trip.

So, I guess I can see what you're saying, if people use the "free dining" as an excuse to spend elsewhere. But Disney does have a lot of financially savvy guests, and honestly, if you're one to watch where your money goes, free dining really is a huge savings.

Now, to put the thread back "on topic" -- free dining is ESPECIALLY great if you use it for the 2 TS meals you wouldn't normally spend the money on, or the dinner shows -- then you really do get a great bang for your buck, even at Le Cellier.
Hi, Blythe! Hope everything's well in snowy Central New York. I'm in Boston for business this weekend. I can't imagine it's much colder up by you.

Anyway, I appreciate your post and absolutely understand your point. I think my original post was written a bit too hastily -- more of a generalization than an absolute rule.

You took the time to crunch all the numbers. You checked the menus, you considered actually how much your family plans to eat, and you factored in the price of your hotel. In my admittedly unscientific observations, most Disney-goers are nowhere near as conscientious as you. I think most people see "free dining" without recognizing all the factors.

For example, I am not an annual passolder. (I probably should be at this point, but that's a conversation for another post.) Even with the free dining promotion, I lose money by paying rack rate for my hotel instead of a discount. My family would never order five desserts at a table service restaurant (more like one or two), nor would we order five drinks (more like one or two). At counter service locations, we literally would never order all those sodas and desserts. We also prefer appetizers to desserts at table service places.

All told, we come out behind. I realize that I'm talking about my family and you're talking about your family. But the key is that you made the dining plan work for you by spending the time to figure everything out. Most people don't. If they did, Disney wouldn't offer the free dining!

HoosierDisneyFan
03-03-2011, 08:29 PM
What is not addressed in this post is if the actual food is different. I do see a few additions to the menu but are the "standard" LeCellier options that same exact food, just priced higher? Or have they been upgraded to reflect the higher price as well?

I have ADRs for lunch for Spring Break. Have always loved this resturant but we did not want to spend 2 dining credits. We will just eat our TS for lunch and have CS at another fine World Showcase location for dinner.

I would imagine that the love crowd will be higher than normal!

Jared
03-03-2011, 09:07 PM
What is not addressed in this post is if the actual food is different. I do see a few additions to the menu but are the "standard" LeCellier options that same exact food, just priced higher? Or have they been upgraded to reflect the higher price as well?
That's the million-dollar question right now. The official Disney company line suggests the higher prices reflect better cuts of meat, fresher produce and an overall higher food quality. That better be true, considering the markups.

kaylamag
03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I am debating between using a 2TS credit at LeCellier or Yahtsmen Steakhouse for when we go in December. Right now i am leaning towards LeCellier (just so i can get some ice wine). Hopefully someone will post soon and let us know if it is worth the 2TS credits.

MizMissy
03-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Aside from the obvious and obnoxious price hike on the menu items, does anyone know if they have changed the seating in the restaurant? I know Disney tries to cram as much seating in as possible without regards to their diner's elbow room, but I found Le Cellier tables to be really overcrowded. Did they remove a few tables to let you feel like you are enjoying your $40 steak with only your family seated at your table?

brivers222
03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
...I'd be curious to see if they remain constantly booked up as they have been...

I sure hope not! this might finally be my chance to dine in the cellar!

CanadianWDWFan
03-04-2011, 09:46 AM
It is a good thing to have change of menu items. I am a bit disappointed in this restaurant as a whole. There should be more of "Canadian" fare and I don't mean just adding maple syrup to the dish. Oh to have tourtiere there or a good home cooked Newfoundland meal. I am happy to see the addition of venison and the duck. If they get some more meals like this I might give Le Cellier a try again.

faline
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Did they remove a few tables to let you feel like you are enjoying your $40 steak with only your family seated at your table?

We were there a couple of weeks before the new menu kicked in. For some reason, we almost always seem to get seated in the same area so I can't speak to the parts of the restaurant I didn't see. Several times we had been seated at a table for two that was in a long row of 2s just as you got to the bottom of the ramp. When we were last there, I noticed that these tables now seemed to be set up for 4s and seemed to be spaced a bit further apart than the 2s used to be.

KylesMom
03-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Is it just me, or is the menu very similar to Yachtsman's Steakhouse? Looks like they quickly modified the Yachtsman's menu for LeCellier . . . . even the type style is the same.

Guess we'll be having a family conference this weekend to see if our three dinner reservations stay or go . . .

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
It is a good thing to have change of menu items. I am a bit disappointed in this restaurant as a whole. There should be more of "Canadian" fare and I don't mean just adding maple syrup to the dish. Oh to have tourtiere there or a good home cooked Newfoundland meal. I am happy to see the addition of venison and the duck. If they get some more meals like this I might give Le Cellier a try again.

I agree! We have always been disappointed at how "un-Canadian" it has been!

mom2morgan
03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I have always disliked the dining plan. It forces me to pay for food I don't want and has created this ridiculous culture of making dining reservations six months in advance. However, as more restaurants essentially become "dining plan only" like Le Cellier, I may have no other choice.

I used the calculator available on this site to run the numbers - and if they are accurate, I'll save between 30 and 35 percent using the dining plan (the regular one, not free dining). That seems worth it to me!

mom2morgan
03-04-2011, 08:37 PM
I agree! We have always been disappointed at how "un-Canadian" it has been!

Oh, I don't know. I'm from Alberta, so I figure if they have plenty of beef it's Canadian ;-)

Jared
03-05-2011, 07:52 AM
I used the calculator available on this site to run the numbers - and if they are accurate, I'll save between 30 and 35 percent using the dining plan (the regular one, not free dining). That seems worth it to me!
Can you please message me the link to the calculator you used? I'd like to run some new numbers myself. As I mentioned in a previous post, my family would typically order about one-third of the drinks and desserts offered on the plan. But I am willing to alter my perception if proven otherwise!

EeyoresBestFriend
03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
We noticed that Boma had increased it's pricing when we were down in October, by about $8 per person.
I guess that Disney figures that if guests stop buying souvenirs to save money, they still gotta eat. :D They'll get money from us somehow . . . ;)
As for LeCellier, I didn't find their Canadian fare to be very Canadian, or good enough for a second visit. . . . .

mom2morgan
03-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Can you please message me the link to the calculator you used? I'd like to run some new numbers myself. As I mentioned in a previous post, my family would typically order about one-third of the drinks and desserts offered on the plan. But I am willing to alter my perception if proven otherwise!

I'm sure I can post it here since it is an Intercot tool.If your family doesn't eat enough to make the plan worthwhile you are probably right that it isn't the best deal for you - but it was GREAT to be able to actually plug in the info and get a more accurate estimate! http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/diningplan/estimator.asp

Jared
03-06-2011, 11:41 AM
We noticed that Boma had increased it's pricing when we were down in October, by about $8 per person.
I guess that Disney figures that if guests stop buying souvenirs to save money, they still gotta eat. :D They'll get money from us somehow . . . ;)
As for LeCellier, I didn't find their Canadian fare to be very Canadian, or good enough for a second visit. . . . .
The buffets and family-style restaurants have been running "seasonal" prices the past few years. Essentially, when the parks are crowded, the meal costs more.

forever a child
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm sure I can post it here since it is an Intercot tool.If your family doesn't eat enough to make the plan worthwhile you are probably right that it isn't the best deal for you - but it was GREAT to be able to actually plug in the info and get a more accurate estimate! http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/diningplan/estimator.asp

Has the estimator been updated to reflected all the increased prices of dining plans and restaurants? Last time I used it...I felt the prices were all a bit low?