PDA

View Full Version : Annual Dues Issue

JPL
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone experienced this before. In January I mail my check to cover my annual dues, so I assumed they were paid and everything was fine. Today I receive a notice that my dues are late. Before I tried calling I check my checking account online and sure enough DVC never cashed my check :mad: Now they are hitting me with interest and late fees. I tried calling Member Services but the accounting department is closed. Now I feel I shouldn't have to pay the fees since I did mail payment on time. I am going to try and call them tomorrow to straighten this out but was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone and how DVC handled it?

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
A friend of mine had this happen to him, except it was a check for the down payment... In fact, I had it happen as well... But with paper work, not a check.. I had to fill out the paper work again... My friend had to give them a credit card in order to pay the dues... Check never was cashed... He finally put a stop payment on the check since he paid by credit card... Then they cashed his check, hitting him with fees galore... I don't think the accounting department has a clue or maybe they are just a mess...

Heck, I JUST got my 1098 form, even though they told me over the phone I should have received it beginning of February.. They had to send me out another one, which, like I said, I just received...

Very poor organization... Your check is probably laying in someone's drawer or on someone's desk...

faline
02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Makes me glad I opted to use a credit card!

Basket Mommy
02-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Never had it happen, but next time maybe you should send it with a return receipt as proof that it was sent ; )

I'm sorry it happened to you!

DizneyRox
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Proving that someone did receive something that they have no record of is nearly impossible. I'd call MS and see what they say, hopefully the person on the other end has a heart and some authority.

Ian
02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
That's why I pay online. I almost never mail checks anymore. It's way too easy for banks to play the "Oh we never got it" card and wham you with late fees you can't do anything about.

JPL
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
What annoys me is they waited almost 2 months before sending the notice :mad:

Brownie54
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
That's why I pay online. I almost never mail checks anymore. It's way too easy for banks to play the "Oh we never got it" card and wham you with late fees you can't do anything about.

So true Ian. I mail fewer and fewer checks these days. Always a good idea to go on-line and check your bank account now and then(I do it weekly). Its that "ounce of prevention" thing. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM

When I recently refinanced my mortgage I was going to pay some credit card bills. The lawyer at the closing issued me checks direct from his lawyer/trust fund account and then I mailed them from the post office with a "Return Receipt" atleast with a return receipt if anything happens to the check after they receive it you have proof its on them! Thats what I would do in future JPL because atleast you can find out if it got lost in transit via snail-mail or if its lost in DVC office somewhere. I have come to learn that anything of a decent amount I either hand deliver or send with a return receipt for the $5.00 it was worth the piece of mind knowing it atleast got there. And with someone signature at DVC office they cant argue that you didn't send the check. SO at that time yes you would be able to prove that they atleast received it. Hope you get someone on the phone that helps relieve the frustration for you!!

JPL
03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately it was during the rush of the Holidays when I sent out the check and really just needed to get it out before I forgot

princessjojo
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Ours is automatically drafted from our account. They say they tried to draft and it showed NSF, but we have no real access to that account unless we actually go to the counter to manually withdraw money and the nearest branch is now 40min away. When I checked the account balance online, it showed more than twice the amount for the amount due and nowhere did it show any attempt to withdraw the annual dues. We had to reauthorize and have the bank provide documentation that no attempt to draft was noted by them to our account. Only then did they credit us the late fees. It was a mess none-the-less.

CanadianWDWFan
03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
We send our cheque in as "Priority Mail" and receive confirmantion that they got the letter usually within 2 days of mailing it. We haven't had an issue yet.

JPL
03-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Got it straightened out today finally able to talk to someone from Member Accounting. I will say she was the most unfriendly & unenthused CM I have ever spoken too! It seemed like it was an effort for her to even speak with me :mad: I then asked the question if I had the option to have the statements e-mailed to me in the future and you would think I asked them if they were going to offer flights to Mars! She said they don't have e-mail capability :confused: I paid by credit card and she asked if I wanted to write the confirmation # I said of course and she sort of grunted and sighed before reading it to me :shake: Finally she said is that all? I was like yeah and she just hung up! What happened to "Have a Magical Day!" "Thanks for calling!" "Glad I could Help!"
I almost wanted to say sorry for making you do your job.

faline
03-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Sorry about the grumpy cast member but glad you got your account squared away!

JPL
03-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah I'm glad it's all good now but wow I hope I never have to call Member Accounting again!