PDA

View Full Version : What would Walt Think

ransam
02-23-2011, 05:53 PM
You ever been to WDW and thought what would Walt think if he could see what he created, even after he was gone?
if he could walk down Main Street? or walk through the Nations. see DH. or Animal Kingdom.....

I honestly think there would be somethings he might not approve of, but for the most part i think he would be very happy and very proud of what The Disney Company created.

magicman
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I agree that he would be pleased for the most part.

I think that he would:
1) Be surprised and humbled that the place is called WALT Disney World as it showed such a tremendous amount of grace for Roy to insist that it not be named Disney World but WALT Disney World.
2) I think that he would be pleased with the Magic Kingdom. His concept of "fun that the whole family can participate in together" is so evident there.
3) I think he would be disappointed that EPCOT went a different direction from his vision, but I think he would understand that the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow idea had to evolve to generate revenue.
4) I think he would like DHS in general, but he would wonder why there weren't a few more attractions that were fun for the whole family
5) I think he would think the Animal Kingdom concept was good, but I think that he would start firing people when he got to Dino-Rama.

Mousemates
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
5) I think he would think the Animal Kingdom concept was good, but I think that he would start firing people when he got to Dino-Rama.

:thumbsup: And he would hopefully "double fire" who ever came up with the neck-wrenching madness I call Prime Evil Whirl . :)

lovinmesomedisney
02-24-2011, 08:11 AM
:thumbsup: And he would hopefully "double fire" who ever came up with the neck-wrenching madness I call Prime Evil Whirl . :)

I LOVE this ride and my kids have probably never laughed so hard on a ride, as they have this one. :mickey:

bdm@pga
02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I think he would be pleased, but I think he would be upset with many things that just seem senseless. Her are just 2:

1. What happened to forgetting about the profit and knowing that great attractions would bring the people in. If Walt focused on the money, Disneyland would never had been built. Imagination ruled his day, dollars rule it now.

2. He would be wondering why we needed MGM to make a hollywood story park? Walt embraced TV when Hollywood feared it, Walt transformed animation. Couldn't those rides in DHS have been designed around Disney ideas? Disney movies?

Tigerinvestigator
02-24-2011, 11:13 AM
I also think he would generally be very pleased. I think he would be happy with the way cast members deliver the magic. I think he would be pleased that the parks are constantly evolving and becoming more beautiful. I think he would probably get angry with the greed the company displays to the public at times. Overall I think he would be happy!:thumbsup:

Momto3littlemice
02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I have to agree... the magic that we all feel the minute we go through the turnstiles would warm his heart.

BUT I have thought so many times that DinoLand USA needs to go. It is the most un-Disney thing at Disney and I don't even like to go near it. It feels so cheap and carnivally to me... can not figure it out and I think that Walt would feel the same. :mickey:

PopPhan
02-24-2011, 11:54 AM
In my opinion, I believe he would be pleased with the expansion to 4 parks and 2 water parks and, in some respect, Downtown Disney. The Fantasyland expansion would have him smiling from ear-to-ear!

I think he would be upset that his ideas on 'plussing' existing attractions has pretty much fallen by the wayside. The empty pavilions throughout Epcot would have him quite upset as it is wasting developed areas. The pricing, quickly getting out of range for the 'average family,' would also irk him.

These are just my opinions and probably have more to do with the way I think than the way Walt did.

joonyer
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I think he would be pleased overall, with the experience that most guests receive regarding the magic. I think he would be a little surprised at how little some attractions have changed, and the reluctance of some guests and park management to embrace change. Although I have to say I love some old attractions like Carousel of Progress, I believe Walt would think that many attractions should have been replaced or upgraded long ago. After all, remember it was Walt who said :

"There s really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things because we are curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We re always exploring and experimenting. At WED, we call it Imagineering the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

waymickey
02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
I think he would be pleased, but I think he would be upset with many things that just seem senseless. Her are just 2:

1. What happened to forgetting about the profit and knowing that great attractions would bring the people in. If Walt focused on the money, Disneyland would never had been built. Imagination ruled his day, dollars rule it now.

2. He would be wondering why we needed MGM to make a hollywood story park? Walt embraced TV when Hollywood feared it, Walt transformed animation. Couldn't those rides in DHS have been designed around Disney ideas? Disney movies?

I agree with number two. DHS is our least favorite park. Why can't there be rides from Disney movies? There are sure enough of them.

I also think Walt would be upset that the "show" is getting a bit lost in the quest for money. He would hate to see a rude cast member or the fact that we now see all the construction going on.

Ian
02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
I've read just about every printed word ever published on Walt's life and I think I have a pretty good feel for him.

I think his reactions would be fairly mixed. I agree that I think he'd be thrilled to see how far "The Florida Project" has come over the years. I definitely think he'd be overall happy at the Magic Kingdom, although I think some things would irritate him (Aladdin plunked down in the middle of Adventureland like that, Stitch's (Not So) Great Escape, and the prices).

I think overall he'd actually be pleased with what the Imagineers did with Epcot. While I agree he might initially be disappointed that his true "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow" never came to fruition, I think he'd understand why and I think the permanent World's Fair concept would be one he'd get behind. I don't think, though, that he'd approve of liquor being sold in the parks and all the empty pavilions there are.

I think he'd be completely underwhelmed and put off by DHS. I just see that as not being his cup of tea at all. Especially all the non-Disney properties there are ... he'd be wondering quite loudly where all his films are.

Animal Kingdom I actually think he'd approve of. He might immediately start trying to build some new attractions there, but I think the attention to detail, the theming, and the overall idea would please him. Remember Walt always wanted to do an attraction with animals for Disneyland.

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm not an expert on Walt Disney, but from what I've read about him, I think he would be fairly pleased overall. I think maybe one thing that might not thrill him as much was turning the Main Street buildings into one extended gift shop. Certainly he understood the value of generating revenue, but I think he might have thought it lost some of it's home-town atmosphere in the process.

Daisy'sMom
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm not an expert on Walt Disney, but from what I've read about him, I think he would be fairly pleased overall. I think maybe one thing that might not thrill him as much was turning the Main Street buildings into one extended gift shop. Certainly he understood the value of generating revenue, but I think he might have thought it lost some of it's home-town atmosphere in the process.

I agree with everything you said, and to add something else, he never wold have agreed to gift shops at the end of every attraction.:mickey:

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-25-2011, 04:29 PM

Agreed...my father is who is in his late 60s has been saying for years that Walt himself would be very upset with how much everything costs now.....walt wanted to create a family park that was affordable for everyone to enjoy and its definitly turned in to a money making machine.

dwonderz
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I think he would be happy with Resort overall. I think he would of course be most pleased with MK! I also think he would be very pleased with the service and quality his CM's provide and his parks are known for!

That said - I also think he would be sad with the rising prices :( - he was all about the family trips! That said - WDW does offer a range of accomadations and food options (that tend to be better AND cheaper then Six Flags and the like). I think he would be dissapointed with the admission prices!

paragon
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I have to agre with Ian, Walt would definitely wonder where his films are in DHS. I actually wonder where they are too!

He would probably be displeased with the removal of the Animation studio, even though I am sure he would have been right on top of computer animation, I think he would have wanted the studios to stay.

I think he might also wonder where his MAGIC SHOP is, as well as the Arcade and the original Main Street.

Epcot would be another story, he might have liked the idea of joining the two original concepts, but I think he would want to pay more attention to keeping the park up to date, and fully operational..

I am also unsure how he would have felt about all the other parks overseas- while I know he would want others to enjoy a family park, I just don't think he would have his company spend all that money outside the U.S.

ransam
02-26-2011, 01:25 AM
Personally i think Walt would have liked DHS. Maybe he would have wanted more in there, but he would like the concept.
I do think he would wanted more in Epcot Nations. More pavilons.
Not sure bout how he would feel about the prices.
I think he would have understood it takes money to produce what Disney produces. Walt was never against making money, he juse never really worried about it, always let Roy worry about it.
He would have loved that there were hotels and package where a whole family could be completly emersed in the magic. I know to buy a one day ticket it's very expensive. but if you buy a vacation package, a disney trip can be relatively cheap. Last year i went w/ my sister and friend. we had a room discount, and the dining plan. For 7 days/6 nights it cost us each less that 600 dollars... I"m not sure where else you can go, and including your room, food, and tickets to the most amazing place one earth for 7 days and spend only 600 dollars..

Goofy Texan
02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Keep in mind that when Walt was around, The Disney Company he created was privately owned. The current Disney company has to please a board of directors and Wall Street. That is the reason why costs have gone up and maintenance isn't perfect. Walt wanted to make money so he could build his dreams, he didn't care about getting rich.

:( I think Walt would be disappointed that the company went public and is now at the mercy of growth and ROI (return on investment).