PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Epcot Dining

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 10:25 AM
I just wanted to share some random thoughts on dining along WS in Epcot....This is by far the best area for dining in any park but I still can't help to wonder why France, Mexico, Italy and Japan all have two Table Service restaurants but America has none. Also, why is there no counter service in Canada or Italy.

I was thinking about a time when my mom and I were wanting to eat at the Cantina in Mexico but all my son wanted was pizza. There is no CS offering pizza in World showcase. We had to order him a whole pizza when we got to the room. It would seem Italy would have done well to have a CS selling pizza by the slice. I know that will probably not happen now that they have Via Napoli though. Also, Canada could do a CS with perhaps soup and sandwiches. Also, I could see America doing well with a buffet style Table Service restaurant with regional food pod offerings....fried chicken from the south, creole gumbo, St. Louis BBQ, apple pie etc...

So what do you think?:chef:

Faver
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
I couldn't agree more! I have often wondered why America has no sit down dining.:confused: Even if us American's didn't enjoy it, others from all over the world might?! But I guess they figure, if you haven't gotten enough "American faire", with the corn dogs, turkey legs and burgers (we're truly a sophisticated group of diners :) ) What else could they offer?

Plenty! Regional favorites just like Mississippi DF offered up! There are so many foods that are wonderfully American, simple and complex, and ALL GOOD! :wave:

BTW.... great thread!

Jared
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
A table service location would work incredibly well in the United States pavilion if Disney could resist the urge to fill the menu with cheeseburgers and corn dogs. Imagine one restaurant serving Chicago deep dish pizza, Kansas City barbecue, New York deli sandwiches and Creole gumbo. It could offer a few specialties from each region of the country. I find it somewhat embarrassing that Disney allows Liberty Inn, a pitiful counter service restaurant, to represent the cuisine of the host nation.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
A table service location would work incredibly well in the United States pavilion if Disney could resist the urge to fill the menu with cheeseburgers and corn dogs. Imagine one restaurant serving Chicago deep dish pizza, Kansas City barbecue, New York deli sandwiches and Creole gumbo. It could offer a few specialties from each region of the country. I find it somewhat embarrassing that Disney allows Liberty Inn, a pitiful counter service restaurant, to represent the cuisine of the host nation.

Oh my gosh, I agree 100%. We ate at Liberty Inn once and it was horrible. The burgers were even horrible by Disney standards:mad:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
I couldn't agree more! I have often wondered why America has no sit down dining.:confused: Even if us American's didn't enjoy it, others from all over the world might?! But I guess they figure, if you haven't gotten enough "American faire", with the corn dogs, turkey legs and burgers (we're truly a sophisticated group of diners :) ) What else could they offer?

Plenty! Regional favorites just like Mississippi DF offered up! There are so many foods that are wonderfully American, simple and complex, and ALL GOOD! :wave:

BTW.... great thread!

Thanks Faver! I would be interested to know what offerings everyone would put from their region too....

Scar
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
I would be interested to know what offerings everyone would put from their region too....Pork roll, egg, and cheese on a hard roll. MMMM...

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
sounds good....

MarkC
02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I've always wondered that myself. There has to be a lot of foreign guests who would love to try some different regions of American food. We have American Vibe and the stage show-- but little food. Makes no sense.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I know it just seems like a lost opportunity to showcase our country.

McLiberal8
02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
I can see both sides - I think the main reason there is no american faire resturant is because:
A) the rest of the parks are full of American food
B) American food is largely influenced from other countries cuisines

That being said, I think it is a great opportunity to showcase an American 'spin' on ethnic food, as most of our cuisine is made up of. Maybe 10-20 years ago, when food and eating out was much simpler, this wouldn't have worked, but these days, a lot of people are 'foodies', and would probably enjoy a more sophisticated representation of american food.

If 'The Melting Pot' wasn't a TM'd restaurant name, it would be a great name!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree that "hamburgers and hotdogs" are considered American food and I wouldn't want to see that as a TS representation...but like you said we have made our own variations of ethnic cuisine...for example cajun/creole food is mostly a mix of French and African influences

Disney_pups2
02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Good thoughts Mississippi. It would be nice to be able to get an authentic pizza from Italy. I'm not sure why they don't have a sit down in the US maybe because every cuisine we have is covered for them...? lol. Good ideas though.

magicman
02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I would theme it to a wild west restaurant :cowboy::cowgirl:and offer:
- Steak (gas fired grilled)
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Chicken Fried Chicken
- Ribs
- Meatloaf
- Pot roast

(Le Cellier seems to be doing pretty well. I'd give them a run for their money as the preeminent steakhouse at EPCOT.) :chef:

McLiberal8
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Holy meat, Batman!

Haha - guess I would have to miss this restaurant.. vegetarian, and all. :P

I was thinking something more along the lines of Artist Pointe - fusion american food, I think the culinary term is 'New American'... showcasing substainable foods, and regional specialties!

Mmm. I am getting hungry just thinking about it!

magicman
02-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Holy meat, Batman!

Haha - guess I would have to miss this restaurant.. vegetarian, and all. :P

The animals of the world salute you!
:pig::chicken::deer2::crab::turtle::gator:

...but to me, they all look so tasty!
:archer::chicken:

Disney_pups2
02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
I would theme it to a wild west restaurant :cowboy::cowgirl:and offer:
- Steak (gas fired grilled)
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Chicken Fried Chicken
- Ribs
- Meatloaf
- Pot roast

(Le Cellier seems to be doing pretty well. I'd give them a run for their money as the preeminent steakhouse at EPCOT.) :chef:

Heck yeah!!!! I like your thinking magicman!!! :thumbsup: I'd be in line for sure!

Crow
02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
i agree a missed oppurtunity..
idt ive ever eaten in the American part of Epcot..they should have a sitdown place there

pixie59
02-24-2011, 04:02 AM
First thing on my list is the Garden Grill Restaurant and it continues to be one of our favorite restaurants. It was great for the kids to meet the characters.

brownie
02-24-2011, 07:39 AM
I think the lack of table service at the American Adventure is probably due to several things. There are plenty of place at Walt Disney World to get "American" food. Most of the visitors to Walt Disney World are American, so maybe they figured people could get American food at home but would like to be adventurous at Epcot. Lastly, the American Adventure show is a large attraction. Money and space were probably a big factor in the decision.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
There are some good ideas out there....I know there are alot of foreign visitors at WDW and a lot of Americans are picky and not adventurous eaters so I think it would do well....

EvilQueen2006
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks Faver! I would be interested to know what offerings everyone would put from their region too....

Maine Lobster:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Maine Lobster:thumbsup:

Good addition:mickey:

Disney_pups2
02-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Yes to the Maine lobster!!! I also think maybe a good ole New Orlean's style POboys would be a good idea. Gots to have some cajun.

TheVBs
02-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Great topic! We've often wondered the same thing. And, as so many people have pointed out here, it would be a great place to offer a variety of regional specialties.

lettripp
02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
New England Clam Chowder... :mickey:

GusNJacque
02-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Maryland crab. As a Chesapeake Bay native I am a little partial. You could have a lovely crabcake sandwich. Maryland crab soup would also work.

I could so do something like this. Sounds like a dream retirement job. You could do crab, lobster, fried chicken, ribs, bbq, steak & cheese. You can pull from all the areas of this great country.

What a great thread.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Was thinking about Philly Cheesesteak too

forever a child
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
magicman;

...but to me, they all look so tasty!
:archer::chicken:

:funny:

:ditto:

pamickeys
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
But the American Pavillion is just like America
-Iwant it now
-Iwant it cheap
-I don't really care how good it is
why change it?

McLiberal8
03-03-2011, 02:32 AM
But the American Pavillion is just like America
-Iwant it now
-Iwant it cheap
-I don't really care how good it is
why change it?

Haha - why don't we just put a Walmart there and make it official? ;)