PDA

View Full Version : Prayers & Pixie Dust for Mom . . .

KylesMom
02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I find myself in a strange position . . . my oh-so-strong 68 year old mother who raised us 4 kids on her own (and will never bend to the will of nature) has just come home from the hospital. It's been one heck of a weekend - starting at 4:15 am last Friday.

She loves to rollerskate (and I mean SKATE - fast), keep her own 1-acre lot of land, garden and bowl and has just been diagnosed with a blood clot near the aorta on her heart - and for the first time ever, has to take medication to "thin her blood".

The doctors have basically told her that she has to give up everything that's near and dear to her heart (from food to her sports), and she's not taking it very well. Combined with the fact that I'm having to give her shots in the gut to supplement the medication AND having to give up some of her favorite Vitamin K foods - oof. Needless to say, it's not going very well. Does anyone have any good way of dealing with a very strong, independent woman who won't relax for a few days, let alone weeks? I'm happy that I didn't get decked while giving her the shot today, but my heart aches for my mom who thinks (and kind of is) SuperWoman.

I'd appreciate some pixie dust thrown in the air for my best friend. Thanks a bunch, guys! :mickey:

lettripp
02-22-2011, 11:54 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Wishing your mom a speedy recovery and you the strength to be her Superwoman for a while... I know you can do it since it seems her spirit has rubbed off on your strong and good will!

As for keeping her fun low-key for a while - it may be a good time to organize old albums or videos... catch up on reading or read something at the same time as her so you can discuss! There is also the wonder of Netflix... they have some great classics on there and that combined with some popcorn could be a great easy expense of energy.

Good luck and keep us updated!

deedeebee
02-23-2011, 02:02 AM
:pixie:Sounds like my Mom. She had problems last summer, she is back to her old self now. Good luck with everything!

Melanie
02-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Oh Carol, I'm sorry to hear this. :pixie: for you all as you adjust to this new situation. Hopefully she can find new things to channel her energy into. Good luck!!!!!

Clairenmn
02-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Pixie dust for you... My mom went on similar drugs as well - and from what we've learned, the key isn't to cut out Vitamin K but to keep it regulated... so if she loves spinach, she can have it but she has to have it EVERY DAY - or something with an equal amount of Vitamin K... check out http://www.coumadincookbook.com/ and other similar books for ideas.

Dsnygirl
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Carol, sending :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: your mom's way -- I hope everything works out and clears up fast for her!

laprana
02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Sending lots of prayers and :pixie::pixie: to you and your mom! I have one of those stubborn, strong-willed moms, too, so I know how you feel. My mom fell and broke her ankle last summer, and it was really tough for my sister and I to get her to stay off her foot so it could heal! She just couldn't sit still and take it easy, and refused to use crutches...we finally had to get her one of those rolling walkers with a seat on it that she used to scoot around with. My sister and I were almost at our wits end, and that was nothing as serious as a heart problem!

It's definitely going to be a tough adjustment for her, but hopefully she will realize that her health is what's most important. And hopefully she will get better and eventually get back to doing some of the things she loves! Best wishes to both of you!!

clausjo
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
:pixie::pixie: Lots and lots of prayers and pixie dust for you and your mom. Hopefully she'll heal soon and be back to doing what she loves!!

princessgirls
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
That is tough Carol. Your Mom's "New Normal" is going to be one she is going to have to navigate and figure out. She will. It is a lot of information to absorb. She will find a happy medium, just give her a little time to process all that's been dealt to her.

In the meantime, Prayers for all of you!

Julie:mickey:

ElenitaB
02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Carol, I've done those drugs (both the pills and the shots) and it's not a fun position to be in. And to give up the foods one likes and knows to be good for you... it's just hard. Ask her medical team about establishing a "dose a day" of the Vit K rich foods (don't do it without consulting with them because it will throw her INR off), and talk with her about other veggies she'd like to incorporate into her diet. Keeping just a wee bit of control might help her feel better at this juncture.

Hugs to both of you!

Stitchahula
02-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't have any advice other than hang in there. I know it's not easy to tell your mom she can no longer do the things she loves. I'm sure she understands but right now is in a state of denial. Just keep reminding her this is so she can get better. Good luck my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.

Mickey'sGirl
02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Hugs for you and your Mom, Carol! Ellen gives good advice. If your Mom feels she has some control, I imagine it will be better for her.

faline
02-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Sounds like your mom and your family are really having a tough time right now.

I don't have any advice that I can offer to you but you and your mom will be in my thoughts!

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: