PDA

View Full Version : New Hitch Hiking Ghost Projections

Captain_Nemo
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Haunted Mansion has updated the Hitch Hiking Ghost scene at the end of the ride that previously used the "peppers ghost effect" The scene has been updated with new projections of the ghost making them more animated. Looks like it was unveiled today, though it may not be complete (hopefully) reports today are not that great.

There is videos around the web of the new projections from tonight and the reactions are not good. Anyone there tonight see the update yet? :(

Melanie
02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm seeing that this is likely just temporary as they do work on the actual animatronics behind the scenes. It's better than the alternative, which would be having the area just dark.

Tigerinvestigator
02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Didn't think the video looked too bad. Since it looks like its just a temporary solution, I'm with everyone else that its better than a dark hallway.

Captain_Nemo
02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I am hearing it is temporary now also. This seems to be more of an animated construction wall that allows the attraction to operate while the original Animatronics are being updated behind the wall. :mickey:

ransam
02-23-2011, 12:14 AM
why is it temporary?

WDWfanatic742
02-23-2011, 01:11 AM
why is it temporary?

Most likely to keep the original classic effect. Us fans don't like Disney moving trash cans to a new spot, much less for something this big. :D

Maleficent's Dad
02-23-2011, 06:40 AM
I did experience this yesterday; I hope Mel's correct and that this is a temporary thing.
Basically they are projecting animations of the three different ghosts on a black screen. They are not in your car, and in fact, there is no reflection of you and your doom buggy because you're looking at a black canvas. My whole family was wondering what was going on!!! My kids were very disappointed.
Like I said, I'm hoping Mel is right and that this is temporary!!!

Melanie
02-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I know someone who experienced it yesterday as well, and she wasn't impressed. But all reports do indicate it's temporary. :fingers:

RBrooksC
02-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Temporary is fine. Has anybody heard the "temporary" time frame?

tnpoohbear
02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
We will be there in 10 days and will definitely check this out. This is DD favorite ride.:confused:

JPL
02-23-2011, 10:05 AM
I saw a video of the effect and it looked pretty cheesy but all indications are that it is temporary while they work on the new effects. I also think they are doing a bit of experimenting with the projector technology to get a better feel how it can be used in dark rides so it is probably serving a dual purpose. .

Patricia
02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I say "Boo" to any new effects they are working on.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ok, so I'm a little skeptical since they started improving things, starting back with Imagination. Look what they did to the end of Spaceship Earth under the guise of improvement. :shake:

Jasper
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
We want the ghosts, we want the ghosts!

johnO
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Where is the "temporary" info coming from?

WDWfanatic742
02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
What I don't get is the Haunted Mansion just got an extensive rehab a few years back, it's getting the new graveyard, and now this? TDO can't upkeep 90% of it's other rides...

Not that I don't like them dumping alot of money into a classic ride, but someone there must REALLY love the Haunted Mansion :D

John
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
You can see the "temporary" effect here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8TA2jZF0oo&feature=player_embedded

Normally we don't allow links but in this case, it certainly adds to the discussion.

From everything I have read, they are looking to enhance the effect that was there - but this was added as an overlay while work goes on behind the black curtain. Other rumours are that this may tie with the improvements in with he new graveyard scene as well.

We'll all see soon enough ;)

mickey_M_lvr
02-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Pay no attention to the men behind the curtian. LOL :blush:

I hope things will be up and going when I am there in Sept. Classic is good...but if the upgrades are worth it...I guess we will see. :mickey:

crltkcagle
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Well its not that bad but I hope they bring the hitch hikers back!

PopPhan
02-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Is it just me, or did it look like there were "new" ghosts in the projections?

giroux28
02-25-2011, 10:45 AM
The first one after turning the corner, the one waving to you, did seem different and maybe new. Maybe if they got out every once in a while they could get a job and afford a car so they dont have to hitchhike, lazy ghosts... :shake: :D

CaptSmee
02-26-2011, 12:15 AM
this looks like a great way to keep the attraction running while they work on some magic! :magic:

tmz814
02-26-2011, 11:24 AM
I rode haunted mansion yesterday and while it is great that they have something there temporarily while they work on the ride, it was a bit of a let down. :-( I didn't know about the change before I got on the ride and was expecting the old hitchhiking ghosts that I know and love! Oh well... At least when I ride it again tomorrow I'll be prepared! :-)

Imagineer1981
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Whats funny is that this is a temporary fix, but for some people, its there 1st experience with HM, and if they come back in a year or so they'll ride it going "hey, where are the digital ghosts?, why am i looking in a mirror now?"...lol :blush:

brivers222
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I know this has been asked repeatedly in this thread, but i just didn't see an answer.

What is the projected timeline for having this temperary stuff to be replaced with permanent stuff. Are we talking weeks, months, years?

crazygoalie39
03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Personally, I don't think that it's that bad. However, I definitely can't wait to see what it's going to be like once they're finished. :mickey: