PDA

View Full Version : Samusung Fascinate (or the like) - any recomm. on car docks??

Dsnygirl
02-22-2011, 04:19 PM
So, I'd like to use my phone as a GPS system for some upcoming trips, but have never bought a car dock for it.

I've read a lot of reviews on different car docks, seems most of the complaints have to do with accessing music through the dock. Not an issue for me, as I won't be using it that way -- just want to have maps I can see while I drive.

Any recommendations from people who have car docks for this (or any similar) phone??

:thanks:

John
02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Usually some pretty good deals to be had on ebay if you don't mind waiting a week or two for things to be shipped overseas :)

I think I got a window mount for under $10

I've used my Sprint EVO for GPS - only issue is that the maps come from the cloud rather than being hard stored, so if you hit an area where you don't have 3g and you run out of map cache by lets say, veering off the original route, you could be in trouble!

Most times, it's worked pretty well.

Ramblingman
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
My daughter recently got the Fascinate but we have not looked into a car mount for it.

I would really suggest getting a GPS for the car. They are not that expensive and they can just stay there. I think the displays are better than those on a phone, too.

Dsnygirl
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the comments...

I ended up realizing, after I'd posted, that I really don't need a "car dock", as I'm not going to be using my phone for music, and that's what the docks seem to be mostly for.

I ended up going to BestBuy and just getting a "car cradle" that holds my phone -- it attaches to my vents and my screen is large enough that it works great.

I downloaded Google Maps and Mapquest onto my phone, and so far, LOVE how they work, so maybe I can get away w/o a GPS sytem.... the only thing I wish I could do was take the route they program for me and tweak it, if someone gives me specific advice about an area and I'd like to follow their directions vs. what I get from Google or Mapquest. They do change, based on what I do, driving-wise, but I can't program anything, at least that I've found yet.

Any other tips or advice would be great!

Mickey'sGirl
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
I agree with Ramblingman, Blythe. I would spend the $100 and get a basic GPS which is not dependent on phone service, internet service or anything else. We've been using our Garmin for many years (along with maps, cuz I'm a map girl), and once you learn to trust it, is a very very very useful component to the car trip.