PDA

View Full Version : No table service this time

elmjimmlm
02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
We are going to change things this time and just go with quick service dining...(no free this time:()
I am wondering how this will be.?. Does anyone prefer quick service over table service?
I kind of like the idea of not having all of those reservations to worry with... We may actually eat when we are hungry and not because it's time...:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
There are so many tasty choices when quick dining at Disneyworld these days! Some of our favourites are The Tangierine Cafe in Morocco at Epcot, The Colombia Harbor House at MK, and Puck's Express in the Disney Marketplace. You can get some really stellar food at these locations! Don't worry, you wont be stuck eating burgers and dogs all week!

Tygger7
02-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I think you'll be fine...in fact, we're going this route for our next trip in December. Epcot is a GREAT place to eat QS, especially in "The Land". And don't forget that each of the countries have their own QS. I think the key is to try & veer away from the standard QS, such as hamburgers & fries...that gets old really fast. There are a LOT of "hidden gems" with QS...I've heard great things about Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney too. :thumbsup:

Madame Leona
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I love just going with QS. There are so many delicious options in the MK, AK, and EPCOT that you can easily skip the burgers/fries/pizza fare. However, I do find HS a bit more of a challenge. We always check out the menus online ahead of time and that way we have an idea of where to eat in each park. That way we aren't going from place to place trying to decide what to eat.

PrettyMinnie
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
We have done this before and managed to get a lot of really good food. As mentioned before Sunshine Seasons in The Land offers a variety of tasty dishes and Flame Tree BBQ is a can't miss. You might have to do a little research and planning but you can enjoy the QS dining plan!!

megustamex
02-22-2011, 11:02 AM
We are doing the same thing! We feel like we've missed so many great QS options that we love to do in Epcot because we're always eating a big TS dinner. We're looking forward to feeling totally free this time to do what we want at the parks, eat when we're hungry and not be tied to TS reservations.

Patricia
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
We did this last time. It was so nice not to have to make a reservation and personally, I've seen such a decline in the food quality at Table Service that I didn't even miss it.

As mentioned we checked out menu options before leaving to try and have a burger/pizza avoidance plan.

We liked Yak & Yeti Local Food Café (Quick Serve) and all that have been mentioned above and yes, Earl of Sandwich in DTD is a gem as is Wolfgang Puck Express. Yum! We were staying close to DTD and had all our breakfasts here.

HS does have fewer choices, but take a look before you go.

lawgirl
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
We usually only make 1 or 2 table service reservations...and usually wish we hadn't. I LOVE being free to eat whenever and wherever and as often or as little as we like. I think you will really enjoy not having the stress and pressure of having to be at a certain restaurant at a certain time. Also, I usually find that when we actually have reservations, we aren't that hungry.

So, I really think its a good idea. And most of the quick service restaurants are really, really enjoyable (especially if you are able to go at off-times and miss the lunch / dinner crowds).

Some of our favorite quick service locations are China, Mexico, and Germany...also the Land pavillion has the best quick service in all of WDW! There are some amazing, healthy, fresh really nicely prepared choices, plus beer, wine and desserts. We always try to eat lunch and dinner at the Land. Also, we love the quick service behind the Indiana Jones show at HS...its open air and nice to sit out. This past trip we discovered at AK the quick service in Asia...I can't remember what its called, but they had some amazing Chinese takeout dishes...yummy sweet and sour chicken.

All in all, its a great way to save time and money, and have alot less stress!

Granny Jill A
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
We are going to change things this time and just go with quick service dining...(no free this time:()
I am wondering how this will be.?. Does anyone prefer quick service over table service?
I kind of like the idea of not having all of those reservations to worry with... We may actually eat when we are hungry and not because it's time...:mickey:

I know my wallet likes quick service over TS ;).
We always try to eat lunch about 11 a.m. because we get up so early. Dinner is just what we're feeling hungry for at that time. It's easier on our budget and on our waistlines. We're not tempted to sit and gorge, so we make better menu choices. Have a great time.

MarkC
02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Lawgirl has some great points above. We also love the QS at Mexico, England, China and Japan, as well as the food court area in The Land. The moderate resorts all have good QS type food courts for a reasonable cost for a family. We've even split a large pizza 4 ways and held the cost to about $7 per person.

Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Rays are decent, as is the Commisary at DHS. The Flaming Tree Barbeque at AK is very good as well.

elmjimmlm
02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
I am afraid that I'm going to miss the relaxation of a table service...I hope I don't...Sunshine Seasons is a favorite of ours so we may make several stops there in August...:thumbsup:

ldc12377
02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
We tried the QS Dining Plan on our last trip and really liked it. It was so much more relaxing and WDW really does have a lot of options for QS so you don't have to eat the same food all the time. I see that you are staying at POR, which is where we stayed. It has one of the great food courts on property. A lot of times we would go back to the resort for our meals because we enjoyed the options and the feeling there. It is very relaxed and never had a problem with finding a table. You should also try out Pepper Market at CSR. It is a different kind of QS. They seat you and serve your drinks at your table. It is a nice mix between QS and TS....If you start to miss the TS too much ;) Enjoy you trip!

mouseketeer mom
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm curious to hear how you like this. We miss out on many interesting quick service options because we always have a big table service ahead of us. I would like to try to do this sometime!

forever a child
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
I think your idea is great! I am sure you will enjoy it. Don't rule out the idea of walk up table services either. We have had success of walk ups at Tony's in MK, Sci -Fi Dinner @DHS, Rain Forrest Cafe @ AK & DTD, Hollywood & Vine @DHS, and Garden Grill @ Epcot. It is always worth asking if you decide you do want a TS.

My favorite TS's are"
Peco Bills - LOVE the BBQ sandwich and fries!
Sunshine Season - Love everything we have had there...soups & salads, turkey wraps, chinese and deserts!
Wolfgang Puck Express - have had a great pasta dish, Greek Salad and the huge 1/2 Rotisserie Chicken with mashed potatoes! Love it!
Flame Tree BBQ at AK is our absolute favorite. I keep wanting to try Yak & Yeti...but FTB's smell draws me in every time! :eat:

Oh and I have to agree that POR has the best quick service food court food! I would not waste my $ on CSR Pepper Market though...too expensive, if I were to pay that kind of $....I would want a TS meal for the price/quality.

MizMissy
02-26-2011, 11:04 AM
I think it's a great idea - and very doable without being bored with food choices. I actually found my kids had more variety at CS meals than many of the TS meals (Disney really needs to rethink their TS kids meal choices, including the dessert options).

However, I know from traveling with the family that DH requires a sit down meal every day, at least once a day if not more. CS is not his cup of tea. In fact, if we ever return to Disney with DH (he's says "not again"), I would look into Deluxe Dining Plan. But, if it were only the kids and I traveling for vacation, for us - eating is not as important as riding rides and our breaks/rest times do not need to be sitting in a restuarant, so CS would be more than enough. Maybe we might throw one or two TS in during the week, but would definitely be walk-up only.

Have fun on your trip, whatever you choose!