PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter And The Forbidden Journey Ride

BrianImagineer
02-22-2011, 01:41 AM
Hey guys,

So since I will be attending the Magical World of Harry Potter in April on Easter Sunday (my favorite series ever since I was kid) and will be my first time into Harry's world I was just wondering what kind of ride is the Forbidden Journey ride in the Hogwarts Castle? Cause my mom wants to go on it but she doesn't know what kind of ride it is and something that won't be too over thrilling to handle lol. So for those who have been on it let me know ASAP.
Thanks everyone
-BrianImagineer

WDWfanatic742
02-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Basically you ride on these robotic arms that move you all around up and down that travel along a fixed track. The arms move through different sets and projection screens.

Simple as that :mickey:

I don't know how intense the ride actually is, but from reports it shouldn't be much...

Melanie
02-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Personally, I think it's fairly intense. Definitely something to think about if you are prone to motion sickness at all. David explained it well - your 'vehicle' is attached to a Kuka robotic arm which moves you through many sets and projection screens.

brownie
02-22-2011, 08:47 AM
It's intense. There are several motion sickness warning signs throughout the queue. Our neighbor suffers from motion sickness and decided to chance it. He suffered for the rest of the day.

Think Star Tours+Peter Pan's Flight on steroids and that will give you somewhat a picture of what the ride is like.

Melanie
02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Think Star Tours+Peter Pan's Flight on steroids and that will give you somewhat a picture of what the ride is like.

MEGA steroids. It pretty much threw me off for the rest of the day as well. Well, that + Spiderman + The Simpsons. :ack:

That said, the ride is incredible, and really, I would strongly encourage everyone to try it once. It's that cool, and the queue is magnificent!

WDWfanatic742
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Okay, so maybe it might be a bit more than I thought it was :blush:

It sounds awesome though, I can't wait to ride it some day. If anything, I'm sure they have a "chicken exit" if anyone just wants to go through the queue but not ride.

NJGIRL
02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
IMO it's a great ride not to miss. Some parts could be a little scary for small kids (spiders & dementors) but adults should be OK. My husband has a problem with the motion of some rides and I had heard this ride could be a problem so we all took dramamine a half an hour before the ride and no one had a problem. That may be an option for your mom. Even if she doesn't want to go that route have her walk through the castle. That is an experience in itself.

iheartdisney
03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Can anyone compare it to something at WDW? Like Mission Space, for example? I can't do Mission Space --- one time and I was thrown for a loop the rest of our trip. Does that mean I should stay away from Forbidden Journey? (I can handle everything else at WDW, however.)

joonyer
03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Can anyone compare it to something at WDW? Like Mission Space, for example? I can't do Mission Space --- one time and I was thrown for a loop the rest of our trip. Does that mean I should stay away from Forbidden Journey? (I can handle everything else at WDW, however.)

FJ is not really comparable to anything at WDW, or at any other theme park in the world for that matter. It's a state of the art attraction, the first o fits kind. It's got some elements of Soarin, except the bench only holds four (4) people and it is held in place by a movable robotic arm (that you can't see while riding unless you turn your head backwards) (see the KUKA arm attraction "The Sum of All Thrills at Epcot's Innoventions, although that is only a part of the FJ's uniqueness, or Google KUKA Arm robot.)

The whole arm/bench assembly moves along a track (sort of like a coaster) that moves through through different indoor scenes (like a dark ride) and moves the bench up and down, and swoops and soars so that you are given the sensation of flying in some scenes. It does not turn you upside down though. Nor does it spin you around like Mission Space. The ride uses a combination of projection screens and animatronics and other effects as you move from scene to scene to put you into the movie scenes. Verbal descriptions cannot do it justice. You'll just have to decide to try it out.

Melanie
03-28-2011, 03:46 PM

On a much smaller scale, it uses the same technology (Kuka Robotics) as Sum of All Thrills at Epcot.

Jodi
03-28-2011, 07:20 PM
We rode this for the first time last August, and actually got stuck on it...they had to turn the lights on too, which made it a super interesting time. DH who normally has no problems on any ride did get sick. DD's and I did just fine and I tend not to go on TOT...it is an exciting, thrill ride that could cause disorientation due to the movements of the ride....

CynBeth
03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
My husband and I are ride wimps and don't do roller coasters. Are there any hills/drops? Will we like this ride?

WDWfanatic742
03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
The ride itself is very flat, maybe one noticeable drop of like five feet if that. There are simulated drops on the screen that can make you feel like you are dropping, but you aren't actually dropping.

Crow
03-31-2011, 11:25 PM
went there shortly after opening on this last trip, half hr wait. I dont think it was that intense..sorta like Soarin as stated above. less than Mission Space intense side. i didnt really have a problem goin on that then Simpsons, Spiderman etc later. all depends on your sensitivity. i liked Spiderman better myself.

Melanie
04-01-2011, 07:07 AM
sorta like Soarin as stated above.

I don't mean to discount your observation, but I really don't think you can compare this ride to Soarin' at all. It's much more intense than that, IMO, but maybe I'm just a wimp. :blush:

Meteora
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
My husband and I are ride wimps and don't do roller coasters. Are there any hills/drops? Will we like this ride?

I'm a ride wimp also, and I was VERY nervous about this ride. But I also felt like if I was going to cough up the money to buy a park ticket, I'd better do it. You definitely are moved around a lot, but I don't think it's anything like a roller coaster. I don't remember any significant drops--this coming from someone who hates drops.

And yes, other than the seating, no real comparison to Soarin'. FJ moves the "bench" all around so that at times you are on your back, for instance.

I was fine with the ride and enjoyed it, but my dad felt it was a bit too much for him. Still, I think he's glad that he did it once.