PDA

View Full Version : DISADVANTAGES of online check in?

KeriWDE
02-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Ok, what I want to know is what are the reasons to NOT use it?

Has anyone used it and realized that it was a total waste of time or that it made their check-in more complicated or any other reason to NOT use it?

BTW - We're going to Pop, if that makes a difference in who answers. But I'm interested in anyone's experience with it.

Silver_Surfer
02-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Wondering this also, what if you check in online and have to cancel your trip?

DizneyRox
02-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I tend to think of hotels being service oriented, so part of the "experience" is check-in and talking to the front desk folks.

For me, Online Check-In accomplishes nothing that I honestly don't mind standing in line to do in person.

And if it keeps a few more people employed, I'm OK with that.

Now, if they tied upgrades or other "perks" into the process, then that's something I can get behind. But I haven't seen anything that makes we want to use Online Check-in.

PopPhan
02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
We are constant Pop customers....

A "disadvantage" might be if you are not satisfied with your assigned room. Then, you would have to go through the whole room assignment process....

We have seen this done by people ahead of us in the Online Checkin line and it held EVERYBODY else up!!

Also, if you want Concierge services at checkin, people have been known to try to get things at the Online Checkin line, where they really should finish their checkin and go down to the Concierge services area.

If neither of these things occur, it is simply a matter of walking up to the desk, giving your name (and showing ID,) receiving your room package/KTTW cards (at which time they will point out your room location on the property map) and going on your way...

Normal situations take about 5 minutes!!!

RedSoxFan
02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I used on-line check in in December. Not sure what it got me as I still had to stand in line to check in. I was at an on-line check in line vs a regular check in line.

disneymom15
02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
My opinion is, it's good if you've already stayed at that resort and you don't need or want the CM to explain the resort lay out to you. Our last stay at POP in January, it took us longer in the online checkin line that the regular checkin line. A man butted in front of us because his room key didn't work and it was vital that he get it taken care of immediately. POP's checkin line can sometimes be quite long (depending of time of day), so online checkin can "sometimes" speed things up.

Disney4us2
02-17-2011, 11:42 AM
I did two online check in's during one trip. We checked into All Star Movies around 5:30pm with a short line. The CM was good, gave me my packet, and we discussed changing buildings. I was given Toy Story and wanted the Fantasia buildings. She was going to look, but said the Toy Story location was a good one, I kept it and she was right. She took as much time as needed.

The next morning we moved over to CBR and there was no line at all for online check in. Again the CM took all the time I needed and didn't feel rushed. She also took the time to explain everything in the packet.

This was our first time doing online check in and in my case it was worth it. It may not be for everyone. I will be doing it again for our spring break trip in April.

Tink1
02-17-2011, 12:16 PM
I tend to think of hotels being service oriented, so part of the "experience" is check-in and talking to the front desk folks.

For me, Online Check-In accomplishes nothing that I honestly don't mind standing in line to do in person.

Now, if they tied upgrades or other "perks" into the process, then that's something I can get behind. But I haven't seen anything that makes we want to use Online Check-in.

:ditto:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I see no downside at all.

IMO a good tip is to realize that you can go through either the Regular or the On-line line to pick up your packet if you used on-line check-in. I noticed at Pop that the same CMs would float between the two lines depending on the crowds. Nobody has any reason to care if you checked in on-line but used the regular line to get your packet. (I was actually waived over to the regular line by a CM who realized that a family of 10 was actually trying to make walk-in reservations using the on-line desk!)

If the on-line check-in line is long jump over to the other one since it makes no difference to Disney as long as they get you checked in so you can start spending money!

floridamom
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I know we should never expect free upgrades, but we have been fortunate enought to receive them on three different occasions over the past few years, and I doubt online check-in is equipped to offer that. (Anyone out there who has gotten an upgrade when using it?)

MommaMouse
02-17-2011, 01:50 PM
We used the online checkin twice in 2010 (once in March, the other November) to get into BWV. The first time I was disappointed as we had to wait in line as opposed to the regular check which had no wait. The CM also failed to notice that I had already put a credit card on file via online checkin and she still asked for one.
The second time we used online checkin we still had a wait while once again, there was no wait for the regular checkin. At least this time they didn't ask for a credit card again.
Not sure if I'd use it again, however it is nice to put in requests for things like pak n play so you don't have to call with that request ahead of time. The next time we go we'll be using our new DVC membership so I'm not sure how that will pan out.

KODABEAR
02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
We've used On-Line three times and recieved up-grades twice. Once at BW :cloud9: And once at Beach Club:lei::vacation: So we will continue to use On-Line. We are frequent visitors to WDW so it may be easier for us as we know our way around all the resorts. :old::knit:

KeriWDE
02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
I intend to upgrade our DDP but am waiting until our credit card statement clears to do so (yo, buys me an extra 6 weeks to pay it.)

Knowing I can already do online checkin, but not knowing if it would complicate my DDP upgrade, I called WDW Reservations tonight. The CM said it would be best to do the upgrade FIRST and THEN do the online checkin.

Just FYI... :)

Thanks for the input!

Mousemates
02-17-2011, 08:37 PM
I know we should never expect free upgrades, but we have been fortunate enought to receive them on three different occasions over the past few years, and I doubt online check-in is equipped to offer that. (Anyone out there who has gotten an upgrade when using it?)

we have gotten upgrades at both BC and GF using online check-in (both times were to concierge level).

Dsnygirl
02-17-2011, 09:21 PM
We tend to request certain areas when we book our reservations, so I never use the online check-in process b/c I want to be able to talk to someone about where we are.

I always call and talk to the CM in charge of room assignments 2 or 3 days before we arrive, but I also know there is no guarantee we will be where we have requested. (Never a certain room, just a certain building)

So, I prefer checking in in person -- but I would think that if you don't mind where you end up, the online process would be far easier!

Goofy4TheWorld
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I intend to upgrade our DDP but am waiting until our credit card statement clears to do so (yo, buys me an extra 6 weeks to pay it.)

Knowing I can already do online checkin, but not knowing if it would complicate my DDP upgrade, I called WDW Reservations tonight. The CM said it would be best to do the upgrade FIRST and THEN do the online checkin.

Just FYI... :)

Thanks for the input!

You do realize that any DDP additions/deletions must be done AT LEAST 3 days prior to you arrival, right? You can't wait until anything less than 3 days or they can't make any changes.

Just FYI.

LudwigVonDrake
02-18-2011, 06:02 AM
I can't think of any disadvantages to the online checkin :wave:

Mousemates
02-18-2011, 06:26 AM
I can't think of any disadvantages to the online checkin :wave:

:ditto:

Donalds Duckie
02-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Exactly! I will definitely be checking in "live" May 22.:thumbsup:

KeriWDE
02-18-2011, 09:22 AM
You do realize that any DDP additions/deletions must be done AT LEAST 3 days prior to you arrival, right? You can't wait until anything less than 3 days or they can't make any changes.

Just FYI.

I'm cool. We arrive a week from today. I'm going to take care of the DDP upgrade AND online checkin tomorrow. So, no problemo!

Thanks for watching my back!

:)

MariMouse
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
We have used on-line check-in the last few trips and each time our room was ready, even in the morning. Don't know if this is just good luck or not, but will continue to do it!:thumbsup: