PDA

View Full Version : If Disney didn't have fast passes......

lovinmesomedisney
02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
If Disney didn't have fast passes, I most likely wouldn't go! I think it will be interesting to hear opinions on fast passes. Some people think the lines would be shorter without them, others, like myself, LIVE by the fast pass if I go during busy times. IMHO, there is not a ride in this universe worth standing in line 60 + minutes for. My family loves Universal, in addition to Disney, but ever since they started charging for the Express Pass, we have not gone back. Such a ripoff, and as I said before, I have no intention of standing in a line that long. If I am paying $60 - $80 admission to a park, and the average line is 60+ minutes, I feel totally RIPPED OFF. How many things can you possibly do in lines that long? I'm just curious to hear opinions on the FAST PASS.

teambricker04
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
My family rarely use the FPs, but we have two little kids who don't both go on some of the roller coasters so we just skip them more often than not. BUT! I am with you... I would never stand in line for 60mins for a ride. Usually we try to go during lower crowd time versus having to deal with the crowds.

disneymom15
02-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, I find when we are standing in line for a ride, we tend to talk to each other more. We usually only get fast passed for, TT, EE, SM, BTM, Toy Story, RnRC, ToT. We also have games of our cell phones that we play.

brivers222
02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I would still go for sure. I have used them in the past but actually last trip i didn't use a single one...didn't have to, i don't go during insanely crowded times lol

Last trip the only rides i lost out not going with a fast pass was ToT and Soarin. We missed Test Track but that was because the ride was always down. all waits were usually 20mins or less so stand by line was nice :)

Silver_Surfer
02-16-2011, 11:04 AM
I would still go!
They were no FP when I was a kid.

PopPhan
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Rarely use them.We tend to visit during 'slow' times and will either wait in queues (if under 45 minutes) or try again later. The few times we did get FPs were basically just to say we did at least once!!

Narawen
02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
We try to go during less crowded times. Because most of the waits are so short, we have a lower threshold for when we get FPs (eg: if the stand by line is over 30 mins, where in crowded times, we may FP if the wait was over 60 mins). We still use a good number of FPs, but on the last trip there were maybe 2 rides that had stand by lines longer than an hour.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
If Disney didn't have fast passes, I most likely wouldn't go! I think it will be interesting to hear opinions on fast passes. Some people think the lines would be shorter without them, others, like myself, LIVE by the fast pass if I go during busy times. IMHO, there is not a ride in this universe worth standing in line 60 + minutes for. My family loves Universal, in addition to Disney, but ever since they started charging for the Express Pass, we have not gone back. Such a ripoff, and as I said before, I have no intention of standing in a line that long. If I am paying $60 - $80 admission to a park, and the average line is 60+ minutes, I feel totally RIPPED OFF. How many things can you possibly do in lines that long? I'm just curious to hear opinions on the FAST PASS.

With or without Fastpasses, I would still go. It just make the planning a little more difficult.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I would still go but might not get to ride as much

1DisneyNut
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I am another one that went before they had fast passes. I don't remember exactly when they started them, but when I was a teenager they still didn't have them yet. Honestly, I don't like them. The first couple of times I went after they started using them, I can remember being irritated about having to deal with them. Basically you end up walking across the park to get them, then you go ride some rides and then when your fast pass time comes up, you walk across the park to ride. At some point you can go get another one and you walk across the park again. Instead of standing in line, you are walking around either getting fast passes or going to use them. We mostly just use them to ride one of our favorite rides again later in the day and in my opinion that is really the only value to them.

What aggravates me more than anything about them is the way everyone rushes to rides with fastpasses when a parade or show ends and they back up the fastpass line. Those in the regular que end up standing there forever because they are only loading those with fastpasses on the rides.

Fast passes are really just psychological, you feel like you saved a lot of time and it makes you happy on the few rides you get to use them. In reality you aren't saving any time over the course of the day if you are trying to use them to save time and ride each ride once. Those that think they wouldn't get to ride as many rides, I can tell you that we go during various times of the year, even in the summer, and we ride every single ride in every park except a couple that we don't care for and we also see every show without using fast passes. We ride our favorite rides multiple times and we do all of this in 6 days. We also visit downtown and usually a water park. Think about it, the same amount of people are in the park and are going to ride the rides regardless. It would suit me just fine if they scraped the fast passes and went back to doing two regular que lines at each ride.

DonaldsBFF
02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Like the FP idea, but don't like that they are available to everybody. Case in point, the last two times we went was around Christmas which is an extremely busy time. If you want to get a fast pass for a popular ride you have to get to the park real early, otherwise fastpasses are all gone by early morning and the wait times are way longer than an hour. My point is that when taking a vacation I like to relax, not be up at 5 a.m. everyday, therefore we usually get to the parks by late morning and then the FPs are gone. I like the idea of Universal if you stay at a resort you get the express pass, otherwise you have to pay for it.

#1donaldfan
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd still go and like said previously, I'd just have to plan out myh ride plan a little better.....:mickey:

1DisneyNut
02-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Like the FP idea, but don't like that they are available to everybody. Case in point, the last two times we went was around Christmas which is an extremely busy time. If you want to get a fast pass for a popular ride you have to get to the park real early, otherwise fastpasses are all gone by early morning and the wait times are way longer than an hour. My point is that when taking a vacation I like to relax, not be up at 5 a.m. everyday, therefore we usually get to the parks by late morning and then the FPs are gone. I like the idea of Universal if you stay at a resort you get the express pass, otherwise you have to pay for it.

I agree, and really what they should do is only allow resort guests to have access to fastpasses or just make them so ridiculously expensive for non-resort guests that very few buy them.

RBrooksC
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
A problem with this question is everybody is basing their answer on the current situation. The standby lines coupled with the Fast Pass line. One has to remove the Fast Pass line and consider how the Stand-by line would move without having to always play second fiddle to the Fast Pass line.

It would make a big difference in the way the crowds would flow and how the lines would move for each ride.

Hazmat
02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
I like the idea of fast pass but rarely use it. You could limit the long lines by limiting the amount of passes per time slot. I think they give out far too many. SOmetimes the fast pass line is longer than the standby line :p

ThanxForNoticin
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM

I find this angle interesting. I have the exact opposite view on Fast Passes. I think the beauty of the Fast Passes at Disney is that it gives me the opportunity to plan the day in such a way that I can have a shorter wait on 2,3,4 rides during the course of the day - and it's something that's available to anyone paying the admission fee.

The way Universal does it is basically a "pay-for-ride" approach. Not only do you pay a ton of money for admission, but then you also have to pay (either at the entrance - or in the inflated cost of staying at a Universal hotel) for their Express Pass. At Universal, I'd find it infinitely more annoying to pay $100 to spend the day at one of their parks - and watch hundreds of people passing me in line all day because they paid a extra for that privilege.

Going back to the original question, I think I'd be fine without the Fast Passes. If it went back to when no one had Fast Passes, then all attractions were basically first-come, first-served. That's a pretty straight-forward and fair approach, too.

1DisneyNut
02-16-2011, 12:52 PM
A problem with this question is everybody is basing their answer on the current situation. The standby lines coupled with the Fast Pass line. One has to remove the Fast Pass line and consider how the Stand-by line would move without having to always play second fiddle to the Fast Pass line.

It would make a big difference in the way the crowds would flow and how the lines would move for each ride.

Not everybody, many of us were regular visitors before fast passes existed. There were two regular que lines for most of the rides and they moved steadily. Sure you get on a few rides quicker from the time you enter the line compared to regular que lines but if you figure in the time you waste getting and going to use the fast passes, plus the extra time you spend standing in regular lines that you don't have fast passes for because they are favoring the fast pass line, you don't really save any time.

Gregandmel
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
The very first time my family went was in June 1997. No fast passes and we didn't know what we were doing - almost everything we wanted to do was an hour wait. Our poor 6 year old son (who is now almost 20) says he only remembers the lines and the heat from that trip! LOL. We've been back twice since then (2008 & 2010) and we've enjoyed it so much more with the fastpass system!!! If they took it away - I would be hesitant about how it might affect our trip. !

TheVBs
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
We would still go too. We go during slower times of the year, so there's rarely a need to get FP. We do get them occasionally, so when that works for us, it's nice.

BandMan
02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I like the idea of Universal if you stay at a resort you get the express pass, otherwise you have to pay for it.

This is precisely what I DON'T like about Universal. Those with more money get the perks. :ack: At Disney, everyone is treated as an equal guest when they are in the parks. Yes, there are EMH, but I can handle that. At least your not walking PAST me because you could afford to pay extra. :mad:

Maybe I'm sensitive because we don't always have the money to stay on site at Disney. Also, my family had very little money growing up. We could never afford a Disney vacation at all.

Back to the OP, I have never been to WDW without fastpass. We love it and can't imagine our vacation without it.

Imagineer1981
02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
I like the idea of fast pass but rarely use it. You could limit the long lines by limiting the amount of passes per time slot. I think they give out far too many. SOmetimes the fast pass line is longer than the standby line :p

Actually there is a limit. After a certain number of guests get a FP the clock ticks forward 5 minutes. This controls how many guest will be in line at a given time. The ratio is then 4:1 on the entrance to the ride, so for every 4 FP guest, only 1 standby guest is to go.

Granny Jill A
02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
The last four or five trips I rarely used FP except on the new attraction, Toy Story Mania. I always tried to get there when the gates opened so I could ride multiple times without the FP.

I do remember my early trips before FP, and the lines were bearable. I only recall one 60+ minute wait, and that was for Soarin'.

Maybe they could just use FP for their new attractions.

paragon
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
The fastpass system works fairly well, in that it does allow you to plan your ride. BUT as others have said, it still leads to waiting in some way.
Regardless, BEFORE there were fastpasses, most of the rides had two lines, and the TRICK was, if given the choice between a left line or a right line, to choose the line on the left- people are like sheep, and they will herd to the right with the rest of the crowd. If you chose the line on the left, it was ALWAYS shorter. This worked for multiple things too ( try it anywhere there are lines ), At WDW, the ticket booths were always opened on the right side first, and the left hand booths opened as the crowd built. We always went directly to the left, and were almost always first to the windows, I also use this when going in to DHS and Epcot, it hasn't failed yet.

RBrooksC
02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Regarding Fast Passes, I have heard rumors about WDW revamping the system in the "near future." One of the things I heard is tying the Fast Pass system to your resort or being off property. While everybody can still get a Fast Pass, the higher in expense of your hotel, the higher priority Fast Pass you get. So, those who are DVC or are staying in a deluxe resort would get a higher priority time than those in a moderate or value resort. Those who are staying off property would get the lowest priority time.

That is just a rumor I heard, and I heard it about a year ago. It was "near future" then so who knows if this or any revamp is in the works.

ThanxForNoticin
02-16-2011, 04:31 PM
The fastpass system works fairly well, in that it does allow you to plan your ride. BUT as others have said, it still leads to waiting in some way.
Regardless, BEFORE there were fastpasses, most of the rides had two lines, and the TRICK was, if given the choice between a left line or a right line, to choose the line on the left- people are like sheep, and they will herd to the right with the rest of the crowd. If you chose the line on the left, it was ALWAYS shorter. This worked for multiple things too ( try it anywhere there are lines ), At WDW, the ticket booths were always opened on the right side first, and the left hand booths opened as the crowd built. We always went directly to the left, and were almost always first to the windows, I also use this when going in to DHS and Epcot, it hasn't failed yet.

That's the old Birnbaum rule of thumb - keep to the left at Disney!! You're correct. It almost always works better than going right!

Goofy Texan
02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I love the fastpass system. The only changes I would make are:

Don't provide fastpasses at attractions that load continuously such as Buzz Lightyear. They really aren't needed as the line is constantly moving.

The second is to consider super popular gate buster rides (Soarin', Toy Story Mania) fastpass only attractions. Maybe group the available tickets into morning, afternoon, and evening so they aren't gone all at once. Also, don't allow anyone to get more than one FP for the attraction until the evening FP distribution period begins. By limiting guests to one ride, you increase the chance that everyone at the park that day that wants to ride it, will get to ride it.

joanna71985
02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I wish FP would be removed

EpcotFan182
02-17-2011, 08:14 AM
On my last trip I actually realized the many times where I don't use the Fastpass system. Yes it's good for when we want to hit multiple popular attractions early, but for the most part we didn't mind waiting in the standby line. We did make an effort however to be at the parks during rope drop, so my opinion would probably be different if we didn't hit the parks until mid-day. Either-or I like the FP system because it gives me extra security in case there is a long wait for a ride.

Kaps
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I would still go. I can still remember when I was a kid and SM had signs outside that read if you are here the wait is two hrs. I wouldn't wait but there r people who do.

Becky2005
02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I would still go!
They were no FP when I was a kid.

That's what I'm thinking...I guess being used to Great America lines (way before they had any such thing as a FP free or for pay)...it was just expected you would wait in a line at least an hour long if you wanted to hit the big rides! Which way back then was the American Eagle or Demon. Which are hardly anything by today's standards for coasters. It's also why I can sing the Demon theme song even to this day since they played it all throughout the que.

Imagine being in an hour+ line while constantly hearing just the chorus part of "It's a Small World" -- it's pretty much the same concept.

Mousemates
02-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I not only remember pre-fastpass days...I remember the old days when you had ticket books for the rides as well. we like the fastpass system and utilize throughout the day (we actually tend to have a set of ride tickets left at the end of the day)...however, I can't say i would be all that upset to see it disappear.

What I don't want to see though is a fastpass system tied to resorts or a "pay more to ride more" system. We are at a point where we can afford more and would certainly benefit from such a system, but there is something about that kind of thing that just strikes me as being rather "undisney." I seriously dislike the parks that do that and where you have what amounts "first class" and "economy" riders and prefer not to visit them.

I know that sooner or later the money-crunchers will likely win out and this particular revenue stream will be pursued...but I hope its not until well after my grandkids (who have yet to be born) have had their future granddad take them once.

Hazmat
02-18-2011, 01:01 AM
Actually there is a limit. After a certain number of guests get a FP the clock ticks forward 5 minutes. This controls how many guest will be in line at a given time. The ratio is then 4:1 on the entrance to the ride, so for every 4 FP guest, only 1 standby guest is to go.

Yeh, I know. Otherwise the time slot would never move on. My bad!! :p it made sense in my head! What I meant was.. They already have a limit, just reduce it further. Not to the point where fast pass tickets are like gold dust, but during busy times make the amount per time slot alot less. You could however increase this amount over quieter times such as parades to balance it out. :) I think that made a bit more sense! Ha ha ha

LVT
02-18-2011, 08:19 AM
I use Fastpass a lot. It feels like I manage time better. I have no data for comparison. I think Disney is very efficient in this area as well as having vast experience. I believe.

Re: Universal, yes the pay to ride passes (either hotel or express) feels very undemocratic to me. I feel very insulted, angry and annoyed by this system. It has been a major factor in how little I go to Universal.

sassy2000
02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
We utilize fast pass every trip. If they did not have them, we would still go but only during slower times and not as often. I definitely will never pay for a fastpass system like at Universal. That is the biggest rip-off IMO. You are already paying $60 to get in. I don't want to pay $30-$40 more to not have to wait in line. We lilke Universal but do not go very much unless it is off season.

lovinmesomedisney
02-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I guess I would still go, but I would DEFINITELY NOT GO during peak times. The entire summer included. Honestly, I have learned when to go without having to use the fast pass system as much, Jan, Feb,Sept, etc. but if I need it, in the case of TSM, Soarin, Test Track, I do like having the option. I'm just wondering though, people who say that the lines wouldn't be as bad without it, how come the lines at Universal are so long, and technically, they don't really have THAT many people using the Express system?

thrillme
02-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I love it and hate it. I love it when I have one hate it when I don't. When I went with my parents in 83 they didn't have one and we seemed to be moving through the lines nicely...when my late husband and I went in 92 again...a couple of places we had to wait but otherwise...it moved rather smoothly.

It seemed like with the fast pass it can be a bit troublesome to those that don't have it but :cloud9: to those that do. It makes it complex if you want to ride multiple times.

I'm just getting a little tired of "strategizing" to enjoy Disney...When we get there I make a "mad dash" to collect as many fast passes as I can (if you get there "early" the time to board is almost immediate so you can qualify for a second or even a THIRD pass) then you ride something...food you have to book 180 days out to get meals. It's too much WORK now.

Gator
02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm with you. Disney is way more appealing with it's fastpass system. I know people like talking to each other in lines and all that. I, for one, like talking to my family while doing other things besides waiting in line. I mean, by day 5, how much more is there to talk about?

ransam
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
some of my favorite parts of Disney is the Que lines. i think fast passses rob you of that.

Sylvia
02-18-2011, 11:42 PM
I rarely use fastpass. I also rarely make multiple ADRs. I prefer to be spontaneous and not overplan my WDW vacations. I guess I'm in the minority here, but it works for me. Having to plan every minute of every day, having to decide what I THINK I may want for dinner 180 days in the future, being out of my room early in the morning until late at night, etc., etc., etc. - way, way too much work. Flexibility is my motto, and that makes me happy. Even if I do some trip planning and come up with a schedule, it's not etched in stone. When I use fastpass, it's for that one attraction that is a "must do" on every trip.:mickey:

But, this is why WDW is so great - every guest can "tackle" the parks in his/her own way and have fun. Guests who want to go on as many attractions as possible can take advantage of fast pass; guests like me who are content to soak up as much pixie dust as possible, can enjoy themselves just as much, but in a different way. So, look for me - I'll be sitting on a bench somewhere, enjoying the music, the atmosphere, a drink or a treat, and having a wonderful Disney vacation my way. :blush:

Skippy
02-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I would still go. I can still remember when I was a kid and SM had signs outside that read if you are here the wait is two hrs. I wouldn't wait but there r people who do.

Remember when the line would come out of SM and the end would be close to or under the Wedway People Mover track?

AndrewJackson
02-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I started going to WDW in 1973 when I was 3 years old. I have been back nearly every year since.

When my kids complain about a "FastPass" line being 10 minutes, I talk to them about standing in line for Pirates for 60+ minutes in the summer, or 60+ minutes for Peter Pan. Heck, I remember standing in line for nearly 60 minutes at Haunted Mansions.

We showed up at rope drop, and stayed until the very end, and loved every minute of it!

Some of my best memories at WDW is some of the goofy things we would do in lines with my parents and 4 siblings.

Truly, the line was part of the experience. So, even though we use FastPass extensively, I would still be going to WDW without FastPass.

Disney Doll
02-20-2011, 04:24 PM
I went before FP and honestly we don't use them all that much. We go in off peak times of year and we tend to skip a lot of the bigger rides because we have little kids. However, even when we do ride some of the bigger rides we plan to hit those first thing in the morning when the lines are low anyway.

MNDisney Dad
02-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Maybe they should have FP for the FP line!!:thedolls:

johnO
02-20-2011, 06:40 PM

We'd still go. We go during the off season and the need for FPs is rare.

lovinmesomedisney
02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
We'd still go. We go during the off season and the need for FPs is rare.

Yeah we do that now too. We go every year, sometimes twice a year, but I cannot make myself go during a peak time. I would love to see the Christmas decorations, but I decided that will have to be when I'm too old to enjoy the exciting attractions. I'm not willing to give up any ride time, even for decorations. I love my SM, EE, MS, Soarin, and especially TOT. I'm sure the day will come when I won't be able to do all those things, so why waste my time in line now? 20 minutes or less wait time, or it's the fast pass for me! :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
02-21-2011, 12:46 PM
We hardly ever use a fast pass. Especially when my grown up kids are with us. It gives us an opportunity to talk with them.
Rush, rush, rush. How can one enjoy Disney when they want to rush thru it?

lovinmesomedisney
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM
We hardly ever use a fast pass. Especially when my grown up kids are with us. It gives us an opportunity to talk with them.
Rush, rush, rush. How can one enjoy Disney when they want to rush thru it?

I wouldn't call it "rushing through it." I hardly call a fast pass rushing. It just helps you get on things quicker instead of spending all day in line. I guess it's great that people like to talk in line. I LIVE with my kids. I get to talk to them every single day. I will still talk to them at Disney World, I just prefer to talk to them about how fun or exciting a ride was, rather than, how we wish we would have been able to ride all the things we weren't able to do, because we waited in line over an hour for each thing. I don't need a line to talk to my kids. I guess I don't get it!

Skippy
02-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Yeah we do that now too. We go every year, sometimes twice a year, but I cannot make myself go during a peak time. I would love to see the Christmas decorations, <snip> :mickey:

Depending on your availability, the Christmas Decorations are up in early November, and the week before thanksgiving and the first two weeks of December are great times to see it decorated without all the crowds.

(not a fan of crowds myself)

lovinmesomedisney
02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Depending on your availability, the Christmas Decorations are up in early November, and the week before thanksgiving and the first two weeks of December are great times to see it decorated without all the crowds.

(not a fan of crowds myself)

Might have to give it a try. I have a friend who goes the first week of December every year, and told me it was always great, but this past year was CROWDED! Just when I was planning to maybe give it a try, she made me gun shy...lol I love Disney when you can walk the streets without crashing into people and strollers. I guess I'm spoiled now, because we have done nothing but off peak. Even the Halloween party was too crowded for me this year. Maybe I can rent the whole place sometime to myself! :)

AdventurerKim
02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
I would go without fast passes. They make getting on some rides faster and easier, but without them, we'd just ride rides in a different order and catch some earlier than others rather than getting fast passes and coming back later.

GoBlueLacheta
02-25-2011, 01:48 PM
"all the lines, lines, lines, LINES!! so many that they make FastPass.So then there's lines for FastPass.You stand in line to get a ticket to come back later and stand in line .Then there's lines for the bathrooms , lines for the drinks lines for cantakuras and rare Kartankulas Plink."

FastPass just makes it easier to plan your day. It just gives you the option to ensure you ride the particular ride. Essentially the ride is processing the same amount of riders per hour that it did previously with a left and a right line, guests are just now able to do other things during the time they would probably spend in line.

Your fastpass times can sometimes be 3 or 4 hours later in the day if the attraction is extremely popular. The standby time is probably 60-90 minutes at that point. The tradeoff is do you want to wait an hour now, or walk around and do other smaller attractions, have lunch, enjoy the sights ect. to come back and wait 10-20 minutes.

With Universal, it is essentially a restaurant without reservations but you can tip the host and get ahead of others waiting in line. At least with WDW you have the option to have a reservation if you need one.

lovinmesomedisney
03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
"all the lines, lines, lines, LINES!! so many that they make FastPass.So then there's lines for FastPass.You stand in line to get a ticket to come back later and stand in line .Then there's lines for the bathrooms , lines for the drinks lines for cantakuras and rare Kartankulas Plink."

FastPass just makes it easier to plan your day. It just gives you the option to ensure you ride the particular ride. Essentially the ride is processing the same amount of riders per hour that it did previously with a left and a right line, guests are just now able to do other things during the time they would probably spend in line.

Your fastpass times can sometimes be 3 or 4 hours later in the day if the attraction is extremely popular. The standby time is probably 60-90 minutes at that point. The tradeoff is do you want to wait an hour now, or walk around and do other smaller attractions, have lunch, enjoy the sights ect. to come back and wait 10-20 minutes.

With Universal, it is essentially a restaurant without reservations but you can tip the host and get ahead of others waiting in line. At least with WDW you have the option to have a reservation if you need one.

I love your Universal reference! So very true. :D

pamickeys
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Waiting in line is a choice, either for FP or regular line, or dinning. I personally will not wait longer than 30 min in line for anything at DW. if it's that busy there, than it's got to be less crowded some place else.

Victor Kelly
03-04-2011, 11:57 AM
I remember the ticket books as well as the stamping of your ticket when you entered the park. I remember the lines in Disney before fastpass. The experience was a better one. You got to meet and talk to people from around the country and sometimes from across the world.

Fastpass and the newer rumored line reservation system will let those people that need to plan everything out with little down time and have every minor detail scheduled to do just that. Our society is so impatient and so rushed that there is so much more stress even for a vacation. Makes me want to :sick:

Fastpass could be removed, and I could care less. I think it makes people run around a whole lot more and they think they are saving time when they are really wasting it. When on my last trip, I kept hearing hurry up we have fastpass for this or ADR for that. Honestly we had ADRs in a different restaurant every night (15 day trip), but we did not use fastpass very much. We used fastpass only as we needed it for something we really wanted to do. Otherwise we did the pre-fastpass schedule which still worked very very well even though there were crowds.

Seriously, sit down, people watch, eat a snack, chill out. Turn off your phones (we don't allow themto be turned on when we are in a park or on a vacation except for emergency calls. And when we have kids that rule will still be in effect.

Two weeks in Disney without cell phones was very liberating for me and my wife We were relaxed like you should be on a honeymoon/vacation.

javamama
03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
We don't go during high season, we go off peak times or try to at least:) We did go one time during a busy time, and that was hard plus it was raining alot of the trip..so not so great! We learned, and we don't go during that week anymore:thumbsup:
But honestly when I was a kid, my parents pulled us out of school a few days early maybe 4 days at the end of the year during the summers we would go...so now we go during May and do the same thing with our kids. I have gone during the summer many times though without fastpasses, and it was fine you deal with it...it is the happiest place on earth right???:mickey:
Plus now, I'm well over 21:cool: and when not at the MK I have a great option to help with long lines, and screaming kids, and the heat!

CanadaLovesDisney
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Certain rides we would probably only go on once (total bummer) and some we would skip all together. I don't know about anyone else but toy story is a 90 minute wait Everytime we go and unless we go early in the day get a fast pass and come back to hollywood studios we now skip the ride all together. And it's a shame because it's fun!!!! Sometimes I feel a bit guilty (even though I shouldn't) when we pass by others standing waiting in line. :thumbsup:

crazygoalie39
03-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I would definitely still go, but it would not be nearly as fun. Thanks to FP I've never waited for a ride more than 30 minutes. There's so much to see and do at WDW that you would be missing out on so much if you have to wait any longer than that.