PDA

View Full Version : Name of Closed Restaurant in Hollywood Pictures Backlot

Figment!
02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Trying to label some old photos from a trip to California Adventure and there is a picture of all of us inside a counter service restaurant with menus on the wall from 1930's soda fountains and such.

Anyone remember the name of this restaurant?

BrerGnat
02-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Was it Studio Catering Co.? Or, is that the current name?

Melanie
02-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Isn't that in Florida?

I can't think of what this might be. Do you remember what part of the park it was in?

Mufasa
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Sounds like you're describing Hollywood & Dine (today: Stage 12 in the backlot). There were 4 counter service areas inside, each based on a historic LA eatery: Don the Beachcomber, Wilshire Bowl, Villa Capri and Schwab's Pharmacy.

Then the tables and booths in the seating area were made up to look like dining rooms in some of the other eateries of the time- The Victor Hugo, Zebra Room, and Ciro's were among the inspirations.

That visit must have been in the first year of DCA's operation because I don't think Hollywood & Dine was open for that long.

Now the location is transformed during ElecTRONica into Flynn's Arcade.

Figment!
02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Sounds like you're describing Hollywood & Dine (today: Stage 12 in the backlot). There were 4 counter service areas inside, each based on a historic LA eatery: Don the Beachcomber, Wilshire Bowl, Villa Capri and Schwab's Pharmacy.

That's it!

Thanks, Mufasa! :number1:

BrerGnat
02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Isn't that in Florida?

I can't think of what this might be. Do you remember what part of the park it was in?

Doh! Duh... ;)

Mufasa is right, that place was only open for a VERY short time. Last I was in there was for the Food & Wine fest last year...

Mufasa
02-11-2011, 01:22 PM

There is a Studio Catering Co. quick service truck/counter nearby in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area, though it is usually only open on busy park days (I think it used to be called something like Between Takes).

I just remember it because when it is open it is an alternate location to the beer truck in the Pacific Wharf area where you could buy Karl Strauss.

BrerGnat
02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
There is a Studio Catering Co. quick service truck/counter nearby in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area, though it is usually only open on busy park days (I think it used to be called something like Between Takes).

I just remember it because when it is open it is an alternate location to the beer truck in the Pacific Wharf area where you could buy Karl Strauss.

Okay, so I'm not going crazy. Thanks!

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
02-19-2011, 07:35 PM
The one I miss is Soap Opera Bistro.....Pablo like!

:smickey:

Marla
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I really liked the food choices at Hollywood and Dine. I was sorry to see it close. And then I planned on eating at the Soap Opera Bistro, only to see it close before I could try it. Friends told me that it was really fun, with the staff all in character acting out soap opera like stories.:tink: