PDA

View Full Version : Resort preferences

ransam
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I have always stayed at a Value. recently my situation has improved, and i can afford a nicer resort. the problem is I am never really in my room. I get up, go to the park, come home and crash. Maybe swim in the morning. This year i do want to spend about an hour on a beach (personal thing). but i'm wondering, Is it worth it to stay at a deluxe if you're never there?
what would i be missing out on?

Disney4us2
02-09-2011, 02:29 PM
We stayed at CBR in December. There are a lot of beaches at that resort, although you can not swim in the lake. It was beautiful when we were there, just wish the temp was warmer to be able to enjoy the beach. I actually enjoyed that resort more than I thought I would.

disneymom15
02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I've always been one who's pushed staying at the value resorts. For the amount of time we would spend there, they fit us well. Now, however, we've been staying at other disney resorts and I've got to tell you, I've changed my mind. We stayed at POP 2 weeks ago and thou it was nice, it just didn't feel the same. On our January trip we bought into DVC.

renecat
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
If you don't spend much time in your room and are happy with values why change. If you want to spent an hour on the beach. Is that just one day? Go to the Kona or GF cafe for a meal and then sit on the beach there. We always stayed moderate for many years. In 2008 we went deluxe haven't been able to go back. I think its just a personell choice and what you can afford.

PopPhan
02-09-2011, 03:07 PM
What would you be missing out on? If you stay Deluxe, a lot of $$$ to spend in the parks!! :D

Like you said, we also do not spend much time in the room, so cannot justify 3 - 5 times the price of a Value Resort just to say we stayed Deluxe!

The first time we visited, my first time ever - her second, we stayed at CBR. One other time DW got a pretty good deal on a DVC point rental for BWV. All our other trips have been at PC!!

katieandrob
02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
We stayed at Poly in 2007 and are staying at the GF this Sept. For me staying at a duluxe is well worth the money. I have 2 young boys and being able to zoom back to our room by monorail is so very, very nice. But then again hotel rooms have always been important to me regardless of how much time is spent in the room.

FenwayGirl
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
We ususally do the Value resorts for the same reason. We spend very little time at the resorts, so it gives us extra money to spend elsewhere...like the spa:cloud9:

AllDisney
02-09-2011, 04:04 PM
We really don't spend enough time in the room to justify staying in anything other than a Value. Plus, we've never spent that much time exploring the grounds to their full capacity when we did upgrade. This allows us to go to WDW more often if we stay at a Value.

mickeyman42
02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
I would say that if you are never in your room or at the resort during the day then why bother? we have always stayed in a value, but this time are trying out CBR, but we plan on spending more time at the resort this trip. We are trying to take it slower, let the kids enjoy what they want to enjoy and not try and squeeze every last ride/show into a week vacation.

also looking at booking a trip in the fall for DW and I and we're looking at trying AKL for a change. gotta try out all of the resorts right!

BrerGnat
02-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I'd suggest you try Wilderness Lodge. It has a nice beach, and is one of the very best Deluxe resorts (IMO) for the price point.

Deluxe resorts are always worth it for me. You might realize that the reason you never spend any time at the resort/room at the Values is simply because they are not really conducive to doing so. The deluxes are so much nicer, more comfortable, and offer lots of recreational activities to keep you busy.

Try it; if its not for you, you can go back to the Values.

johnO
02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I have always stayed at a Value. recently my situation has improved, and i can afford a nicer resort. the problem is I am never really in my room. I get up, go to the park, come home and crash. Maybe swim in the morning. This year i do want to spend about an hour on a beach (personal thing). but i'm wondering, Is it worth it to stay at a deluxe if you're never there?
what would i be missing out on?

We stayed at CSR last time and loved it. Here's a few reasons why;

The Moderates are sooo much quieter.

CSR has Queen beds!! So much more comfy!

Mods have a fridge

The buses are so much less crowded with shorter lines and shorter waits.

The food court was far less crowded

The moderates have a table service restaurant

The grounds are beautiful

Pools at Moderates are great

Check in and out is quicker

Overall, we were so much more relaxed during our stay at Coronado Springs and it was well worth it.

Tigerinvestigator
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree with John O. on this one. While we occasionally stay at values, we also love moderates, and really love the deluxe resorts. Depending on how much our budget is each trip we try to stay in the best we can afford. We don't spend a tremendous amount of time in the resort but for us its the overall feeling. When we stay at the values we feel like things are a little more crowded, especially early in the morning and right after park closing. They are also much louder and tend to have larger groups of teens etc staying there. We have noticed in our personal experience that we are better relaxed during our trip when we stay at a deluxe. Just depends on your personal preference. At WDW all the resorts are great and we enjoy trying to stay at them all....and we almost have!:thumbsup:

johnO
02-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Tigerinvestigator,

Good to see another member of the "Blue Line" here on the boards...

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I think this is a question that each person has to answer for themselves...in the past we usually stayed at values because my budget just doesn't justify spending more to spend stay at a moderate because I know we usually only sleep and eat at the hotel and don't spend much time there.

However, I've always wanted to be able to stay Deluxe Level and never could afford it....This year due to a 40% off PIN code and a nice tax refund we are finally able to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Is it necessary, no, we just want to stay there.:mickey:

Mousemates
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
When we were running wide-open with two "ride-loving" children we tended to stay at the values because the only time we spent at the resorts was after the last park closed and before the first park opened. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense for us to spend the extra money on the room. Even the oft mentioned "noise of the values" didn't come into play...because after a full day in the parks we were generally so tired that even a "we've got spirit, yes we do" contest between competing cheer groups wouldn't wake us.

However, as the kids have grown older and we've slowed our running a bit we have begun to gravitate more towards the deluxe resorts...we typically only spend about half our days in the actual parks and take advantage of a lot of the other recreational options that are available. A king room at a moderate resort (love POFQ) works out as great middle ground when its just the two of us...but when its all four of us we enjoy the extra space and amenities of a deluxe.

brownie
02-10-2011, 02:05 PM
If you're not spending the time at your resort, why pay for stuff you're not likely to use? I'd put the money into some nicer meals or other special experiences that you might not normally do instead.

Daisy'sMom
02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
We stayed at CSR last time and loved it. Here's a few reasons why;

The Moderates are sooo much quieter.

CSR has Queen beds!! So much more comfy!

Mods have a fridge

The buses are so much less crowded with shorter lines and shorter waits.

The food court was far less crowded

The moderates have a table service restaurant

The grounds are beautiful

Pools at Moderates are great

Check in and out is quicker

Overall, we were so much more relaxed during our stay at Coronado Springs and it was well worth it.

Glad you have had good luck with CSR. I only stayed twice and each time there were bathroom issues, feces on toilet seat and tub with hair all over it.
After years of spending the money at the mods and deluxes, we stay at values and spend our money elsewhere. And you know what? We never had a problem with cleanliness at a value.

kim1st
02-14-2011, 07:03 PM
We loved the Wilderness when we were there. I liked getting to MK by boat. Loved the pool. Only wish I had actually booked reservations in the on-site restaurants. We had little kids with us (2&4), and figured we'd spend more time at MK than anywhere else. We're having the opposite dilemma - now that we don't have to deal with naps, strollers, etc., and now that we have to buy park tickets for both kids (7 & 9) maybe we should stay at a less expensive resort. I have a feeling we'll have trouble going back, though. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up staying at Wilderness again!

PETE FROM NYC
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
If you're not spending the time at your resort, why pay for stuff you're not likely to use? I'd put the money into some nicer meals or other special experiences that you might not normally do instead.

This is my exact feeling. Even though we just became DVC members, we still spend very little time at the resort. Now we ate breakfast in, and packed sandwiches and drinks for lunch, and could splurge for a TS meal if the mood hits us.
BTW we have also stayed at moderates when they were the cheapest on property, then typically staying at Values.

SandmanGStefani24
02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
i think it comes down to your personal preferences. for me, i can't see myself staying at a resort other than a value. they have fun theming, and save plenty of cash for spending on meals or gifts from the parks. i looked at the moderates but they just seemed more like a hotel and less like WDW property.

I would do some research online and see what other people thought about the different resorts and decide whether or not they are worth the extra funds.

either way you can't lose!
:mickey:

johnO
02-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Glad you have had good luck with CSR. I only stayed twice and each time there were bathroom issues, feces on toilet seat and tub with hair all over it.
After years of spending the money at the mods and deluxes, we stay at values and spend our money elsewhere. And you know what? We never had a problem with cleanliness at a value.

We had a cleanliness issue at Movies the last time we were there. The food court was filthy, trash on the floor and CMs simply stepping over it. There was actual cobb webs above the drink station. I was in utter disbelief. Our room was worst of all. The carpet was filthy and there was trash beneath the bed. Someone had spilled a can of soda between the bed and the night stand and it was left there. I could tell it had been there for quite some time because the soda was like syrup. Most disgustingly, there were two large larve between the wall and the bed. Undoubtedly feeding on the spilled soda.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-15-2011, 09:48 AM
I think the cleanliness issues are isolated events...we've stayed value level several times and the rooms were always spotless

MongoMil
02-15-2011, 11:59 PM
For me its the quest to stay in different resort each time. Simple, try something new. You said you got the option to upgrade go for a moderate. Then next time if you really enjoyed the mod then go for the deluxe. Never stay in the same one twice spice it up and enjoy.

Princess'Mom
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
For our family - WL is the only way to go. We love the feel of the resort and spend a lot of time at the pool in the evenings. DH isn't a huge fan of the parks, but loves spending time in the lobby drinking coffee and relaxing in a rocking chair. He has been known to get so comfortable that he falls asleep! :secret:

darthmacho
02-16-2011, 02:42 PM
If you can afford a deluxe, Wilderness Lodge is on the low end, and to me the most beautiful of all the resorts. No monorail, but a boat to MK. :mickey:

kemps@wdw
02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
a great room with a balcony and a view is important to us. The WL is our current fave. The balcony overlooking the pool and Bay Lake is a great afternoon/evening cocktail spot and we like a little down time (pool, nap) in between parks. Not to mention, the incredibly relaxing atmosphere there. Just sitting in the lobby listening to the soothing music and the bubbling brook is a break in itself.