PDA

View Full Version : Nook vs. Kindle

NotaGeek
02-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Ok -- so I won my choice of either a Kindle or a Nook from a bet with my boss -- and I really don't know which one to get. All my INTERCOT tech geeks out there, sound off. :geek:

Thanks. :mickey:

DizneyRox
02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
The Nook Color can be rooted and becomes a very good Android tablet. Not great, but very workable.

Once rooted, you can just install the Kindle app, and you've got the best of both worlds.

tinksmom02
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I have the regular nook (3G), and I love it. I went nook instead of Kindle mostly because I can get eBooks through my library. Currently Amazon is not allowing their format to be used with (most?) library eBooks. I suspect that this will change in time, however. I also think there was an issue with the battery--my memory is foggy but I think that if the nook's battery needs to be replaced, you can simply replace it, but if the Kindle's battery needs to be replaced, you need to send the whole unit out to be serviced. Again, that may be incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

In addition, I find that I often shop for books more at B&N than Amazon. And I like that you can take it to any B&N and get special deals.

My opinion, take it for what it's worth. ;)

John
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
The Nook Color can be rooted and becomes a very good Android tablet. Not great, but very workable.

Once rooted, you can just install the Kindle app, and you've got the best of both worlds.

I'd argue on this - it's a GREAT android tablet. Like it better than my iPad.

I'm rooted with Nookie.

It's a nice ereader as well.

BrerGnat
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
For me, it came down to the display. I like Kindle's E-Ink technology. Much easier on the eyes, as I tend to get migraines easily. I also like the simplicity of the Kindle. I don't need a fancy touch menu, etc. I like physical buttons.

I've been MORE than happy with my Kindle (wi-fi + 3G, latest version).

Melanie
02-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Michael, James is really enjoying his Nook Color. :thumbsup:

tinksmom02
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh, I forgot: I purchased my nook just before the nookColor was announced. I wasn't too peeved about it, because I like the e-ink tech of the regular nook, and I think I would dislike having the whole thing be a touch screen.

SBETigg
02-07-2011, 06:58 PM
For me, it came down to the display. I like Kindle's E-Ink technology. Much easier on the eyes, as I tend to get migraines easily. I also like the simplicity of the Kindle. I don't need a fancy touch menu, etc. I like physical buttons.

I've been MORE than happy with my Kindle (wi-fi + 3G, latest version).

This is why I prefer the Kindle, too. I also have an iPad, but the Kindle is much easier on my eyes for reading. Also, Kindle is lighter than the Nook. And for those who are appreciating the library lending with the Nook? Don't get used to it. Publishers are fighting it and it looks like it will be discontinued-- which is why Amazon hasn't started it to any great success. Also, Nook is more fragile and Amazon has a better replacement policy. All things to think over in your decision making process. If you think you want to read some color magazines and things on it, go for the Nook. But if you want a light, portable reading device that's easier on the eyes, go for the Kindle. Do look them both over (At Target and Best Buy and B & N) and see what is a better fit for your needs.

DisneyorBust
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Great info Sherri, thanks for sharing. My DW has a tendency to get migraines and if I can eliminate a variable that would be fantastic.
I'll need to go and compare them side by side, as I will be buying her one for her birthday. :secret:
To NotaGeek:
Great thread!

John
02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Also, Nook is more fragile and Amazon has a better replacement policy.

Huh?

I'm an IT Professional by trade and have both the nook and the nook color. Honestly, they among some of the most solid feeling devices I have ever owned. And anyone who knows me - knows I've gone thru a LOT of gadgets over the past 10-15 years.

The NookColor is simply amazing.

Comparing to the ipad reading experience? Don't. I own one of them too. Like the NookColor better.

As far as reading, I thought like many of you that reading on the backlit lcd would be hard on the eyes. It isn't. The glass is coated and reduces strain.

It's more than just reading books. B&N are adding email and apps, and the browser already is awesome. So, to me - it's a value proposition. You get more for your money and more usefulness...

I like E-ink, don't get me wrong... but having owned both, I'll take the LCD in a heartbeat.

It comes down to personal choice - but will say, I enjoy not having to sit by a light or have an attachment to read in low light.

faline
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I lookd at both Nook and Kindle as well as several others. Just before NookColor came out, I had almost decided on Kindle. After seeing and reviewing NookColor decided to go with that. I haven't yet downloaded any mags but am looking foward to using the color options for that. Additionally, the backlight makes reading in bed really easy and keeps me from requiring an additional light.

Okay, now someone explain "rooted" to me.

magicofdisney
02-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Can you get a Kindle account without a Kindle?

My husband has the Kindle so we've placed Kindle apps on all our other devices (which I've also read may not last much longer-direct competition with Apple iBooks).

The Kindle is ideal for reading, especially in high light areas. As stated, the e-ink tech is superb. I personally prefer color, which is just one reason I have an iPad, but my husband is completely satisfied with the Kindle.

magicofdisney
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
It comes down to personal choice - but will say, I enjoy not having to sit by a light or have an attachment to read in low light.
I have to agree with this statement. As much as my husband loves his Kindle, when the lights go out, the Kindle goes to bed.

I, on the other hand, can read all our Kindle books from my iPad, day or night. I tell him not to hate but he just rolls his eyes... :)

DizneyRox
02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Okay, now someone explain "rooted" to me.
In a nutshell, it's a custom OS installed on the Nook. The Nook I believe runs a custom version of Android, but it's been locked down my B&N. The custom OS doesn't share those limitations.

I think a 10" screen is really the sweet spot for a tablet. Honeycomb is around the corner which requirs a dual core processor to run it. This is why I say the Nook makes a good Android tablet. Dollar for dollar right now though, you'll be hard pressed to get a better deal than the Nook. If you can wait a month or two, the tablet landscape is going to change.

kakn7294
02-08-2011, 01:01 AM
I can't offer a comparison of Kindle vs Nook as far as the actual devices but I did have both apps on my iPod Touch. I love the Kindle app and still have it. The Nook app got deleted. It was far more complicated to use than the Kindle app and the books were pricier and more limited in selection. I do have to clarify though that it was probably 9 - 10 months ago that I tried the Nook app. My only complaints with the Kindle app are that I can't permanently delete a book through the device itself (but it can be done through Amazon.com) and the highlight feature. If I were choosing between the 2 actual devices, I'd have to compare the screen quality, the size / weight / feel of the device, ease of use, and the overall cost including the price of books.

Magic Smiles
02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
My husband has the SONY EReader and loves it.

anneo
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a Kindle, and I love it, but I use it strictly for reading books. I don't know if you can use the Nook to go online, but it's a pain to use the Kindle in that manner. If you want to download a book for it, it's great, but doing anything else online with it is a hassle. Like prior posters have said, when the lights go out, the Kindle goes away because it's too hard to read in the dark.

faline
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Like prior posters have said, when the lights go out, the Kindle goes away because it's too hard to read in the dark.

This is one of the reasons I chose the NookColor - I do want to read in bed; my bedroom lamps don't provide enough light in the area in which I need it; and I don't like those little book light thingies. Nook works perfectly for this.

Yes, I can use Nook to go on-line and check e-mails etc.

SBETigg
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Well, yes, but Kindle works great in bright light situations that backlit devices can't handle. I had my Kindle and my iPad with me recently. The iPad was great for low light situations. The Kindle was perfect for reading in bright situations where the screen was too hard to see on my iPad (like sitting out in sunshine), or by the window on the plane with light streaming in. The ideal would probably be a device that offers both options, but I'm not sure that's being done well. I heard something about the Sony Reader offering the e-ink and backlit in one device, but I have not checked it out. Does Nook do both? Because that would sway me.

Also, there is a difference on the eyes. Being overexposed to backlit screens does cause long term damage, no matter the screen protection. The e-ink feature is not backlit and provides a good escape from the kind of light that does damage. I'm on the computer all day. A backlit screen is the last thing I want for comfortable reading, unless I have no other choice, which is why I often prefer my Kindle even when I need the book light (which comes right inside the case now, and isn't really a problem). But this is why I suggested checking them out. There's obviously a lot of us who prefer one or the other for our own reasons. You might be a Nook fan. You might be a Kindle fan. You might need something else. You need to really look at all the options up close to choose what's right for you.

John, I based my durability and service judgment from what I have heard from the hundreds of readers I meet and speak with in my line of work (which did not seem necessary to mention, as it has no bearing on my ability to offer a personal opinion on a product), some of whom are also IT professionals (if that lends any extra credence to an opinion, and I fail to see why it matters in this case).

BrerGnat
02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I have my Kindle in a cover that has an included light. The light is powered by the Kindle. It works perfectly, and is not overly bright (it's less bright than a backlit display in a dark room, for example).

The Kindle also has the longest battery life of the available e readers because it ONLY uses power to change the screen content (when you hit a button). It does NOT utilize power to simply display content. So, while you are reading a page, your device is effectively "powered off", until you hit a button to turn the page, highlight, etc.

I also love the Whispersync technology across devices that have the Kindle app installed. I love that I can pick up where I left off on my Kindle via my ipod touch. Sometimes, I'll just want to read a couple pages here and there, and the ipod touch is great for that. I can use it in situations where I don't want to carry my Kindle with me, but still want access to my content. I use it a lot like that while I'm waiting for my kid's schoolbus, and while my Kindle is charging, etc. It's also easier and faster to search for and purchase books via the Kindle app on iPod touch, so I buy the books via that and they automatically download to all my linked devices. Love that feature!

brownie
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
My bride has a Kindle and enjoys it. I don't have the readers themselves, but have the Kindle and Nook apps for my Android. I like them both and will buy books based on where it's cheaper or if I have a gift card. The one thing I like about the Nook on Android is that it will still display the notification bar at the top of the screen.

MNNHFLTX
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I got my husband a Nook for Christmas and he loves it. The clincher for me was the ability to download ebooks from our library system and the availability of free or low-cost ebooks at B&N (Free Fridays are nice!)

He uses his Nook so much that I rarely get to play around on it myself, so have asked for a Nook Color for Mother's Day or my next birthday. :)

MizMissy
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I have my Kindle in a cover that has an included light. The light is powered by the Kindle. It works perfectly, and is not overly bright (it's less bright than a backlit display in a dark room, for example).

The Kindle also has the longest battery life of the available e readers because it ONLY uses power to change the screen content (when you hit a button). It does NOT utilize power to simply display content. So, while you are reading a page, your device is effectively "powered off", until you hit a button to turn the page, highlight, etc.

I also love the Whispersync technology across devices that have the Kindle app installed. I love that I can pick up where I left off on my Kindle via my ipod touch. Sometimes, I'll just want to read a couple pages here and there, and the ipod touch is great for that. I can use it in situations where I don't want to carry my Kindle with me, but still want access to my content. I use it a lot like that while I'm waiting for my kid's schoolbus, and while my Kindle is charging, etc. It's also easier and faster to search for and purchase books via the Kindle app on iPod touch, so I buy the books via that and they automatically download to all my linked devices. Love that feature!

Nat - Thanks so much! Several people have mentioned the kindle app for iphone, but I never paid much attention to it, could not imagine why I would want it. After I read your post, I downloaded the app and love it! This will really be great when I want to read my book, but forgot to bring my kindle (since I always have my phone with me)!!

Also, back on topic - I love my kindle, the screen is so easy to read. I also bought the leather cover with built in light and really love it also. My kindle was a Christmas gift and I did not research the different types. They all sound great and that there is not a bad choice out there. I only want to read on my kindle, so for me, the other features of the Nook would not be used, so I feel that I have the right reader for me.

Imalismom
02-16-2011, 10:06 PM
What does "rooted" mean and how do you do it?

DizneyRox
02-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Google can help you...

Sounds scary, however, the first thing I do with ANY of my devices is hack them, almost without exception. My old 3G iPod, hacked. My iPhone, hacked. My PS3, hacked... Just ordered an android tablet, it to will be hacked.

More because I like to tinker than anything else, but most times, the hack enables functionality that currently exists, however for some reason is disabled. The iPhone is a perfect example, I've been "multitasking" with my 3GS (and also on a 3G) forever, it's still not allowed on the 3G with "official" firmware.

Read up on it and see if it's for you. Although I can't imagine people not wanting a full blown Android tablet for "free".