PDA

View Full Version : No smoking

LVT
02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Is there any chance of one resort going entirely smoke free? I mean entire grounds and bus stops to boot? I realize it would have to be heavily disclosed up front before booking, but so many people are unhappy, asthmatic or allergic that it seems like an obvious solution.
Has any resort anywhere tried it?

Clairenmn
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM
The smoking areas are pretty restrictive and in out-of-the way places so if you really need to avoid them, it's usually pretty easy to do so... and it would be an administrative nightmare, I think, to make a change like that, as well as to enforce it, so i think they would probably keep it as it is now.

FenwayGirl
02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
While I am not a smoker, I dont think that will ever happen:sick:

pamickeys
02-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Smokers spend money too.

BrerGnat
02-07-2011, 05:50 PM
All California hotels and restaurants are entirely smoke free (the buildings too!).

So, you can go to Disneyland and not have to worry about smokers at the resorts. ;)

kakn7294
02-08-2011, 01:11 AM
The only way I see it happening at WDW is if ALL resorts became entirely smoke-free at the same time. I don't think it's possible to make just one or two resorts smoke-free, especially with the diversity of the resorts at WDW. Personally, I'm not generally bothered by the smoke much anymore since most people do follow the rules and stick to the smoking areas. I have occasionally wandered into a smoking area but that's my own fault for not paying attention to where they are located.

DisneyFr33k
02-08-2011, 06:48 AM
The smoking areas are pretty restrictive and in out-of-the way places so if you really need to avoid them, it's usually pretty easy to do so...

Not at POP. They put one right by the entrance to get into the main building where the gift shop/arcade are located. Not sure why. We had to walk right by it every time we went to eat or shop. My DD is extremely sensitive to smoke and it was a BIG negative to our stay there. We stayed in the 50's building. Next time we stayed in the 60's building it it was better as we didn't have to walk by the huge smoking area and could enter through the dining area.

Magic Smiles
02-08-2011, 06:55 AM
The smoking areas are pretty restrictive and in out-of-the way places so if you really need to avoid them, it's usually pretty easy to do so...

That is not a true statement as the smoking areas for the POFQ are right by the doors to the food court. You cannot enter or even eat outside without having smokers around. The most poorly planned smoking areas around.

All California hotels and restaurants are entirely smoke free (the buildings too!).

So, you can go to Disneyland and not have to worry about smokers at the resorts. ;)

The hotels and restaurants are, but then again there are designated smoking area outside, which always seem to be by the doors.

Like really who plans these smoking areas?

I am in favour of them banning smoking completely or give them a completely sealed room to smoke in. Yes I am a NON-Smoker:mickey:

Hammer
02-08-2011, 07:05 AM

Natalie, California hotels, and I would think Disneyland hotels, have designated outdoor smoking areas. What this person is suggesting is a hotel where there isn't anywhere on the whole hotel property where people would be allowed to smoke.

:cop: :cop: Please, this is a friendly moderator warning to not let this thread become smokers' rights vs. anti-smokers rights thread or a smoker bashing thread. If this thread becomes that way, it will be closed.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
That is not a true statement as the smoking areas for the POFQ are right by the doors to the food court. You cannot enter or even eat outside without having smokers around. The most poorly planned smoking areas around.

The hotels and restaurants are, but then again there are designated smoking area outside, which always seem to be by the doors.

Like really who plans these smoking areas?

I am in favour of them banning smoking completely or give them a completely sealed room to smoke in. Yes I am a NON-Smoker:mickey:

As mentioned above, smokers spend money too. I am a smoker and follow all guidelines associated with restricted areas. I understand and am actually in favor of having smokers in restricted areas (kids, asthmatics, smoke sensitive individuals do not need to be subjected to cigarette smoke). I also agree that some of the spots picked out are ridiculous and placed where non-smokers and above mentioned people are suseptible to unwanted smoky air. Though I think that Disney would lose alot of business by making Disney "smoke free" I would be in favor of having a smoke free resort. But it all goes back to what others mentioned above. There are ways to not be around smoke and cigarettes. it may require some extra walking to avoid, but if you feel that strongly about not being around smoke I guess you have to take those measures. Though non-smokers have rights, you have to remember that smokers have rights as well.

KAT1811
02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Inevitably smoking will be banned in all public areas. The ball is in motion and while it may take some time to put the new laws in place it seems to be in the not so distant future. New York is pioneering a new smoking ban in public places such as beaches, parks, marinas, pedestrian areas, etc. That means no taking a walk in Central Park with a cigarette. I'm sure many can all recall a time when smoking was allowed on aircraft and everywhere else. Slowly but surely over the years smoking has been banned most recently in bars and restaurants.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I hope no one takes offense but I think that is ridiculous. Once, there was a time when people had choice in this country. Now, you are told that if you are a smoker, you are ostricized to restricted areas (which again I have no problem with out of respect for others) and possibly lose the right in the future to smoke at all in public. Disney as well others who pass this law will lose alot of business. Not many addictive smokers would be able to vacation for any length of time knowing that they were not allowed to feed that addiction with an occassional cigarette in a restrcited area. If smoking is so wrong, why not take away all adult liberties and ban drinking from the parks as well. I know that people will say, drinking is not hurting those around you. Well, if you do not go near a smoking restricted area, then it should not affect you either.
Heck, people that chew gum loudly annoy the heck out of me. Can we outlaw gum from all public places while we're at it?

Granny Jill A
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I am a smoker and follow all guidelines associated with restricted areas.

You are to be commended for your diligence. Unfortunately there are enough smokers who do not bother with rules. They are the ones who spoil it for smokers and non-smokers alike.

As an asthmatic non-smoker, I have no choice but to try and avoid the smoking areas. Disney tries to accommodate everyone, but smokers need to remember they "share the air".....

Mickey'sIrishPAl
02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
You are to be commended for your diligence. Unfortunately there are enough smokers who do not bother with rules. They are the ones who spoil it for smokers and non-smokers alike.

As an asthmatic non-smoker, I have no choice but to try and avoid the smoking areas. Disney tries to accommodate everyone, but smokers need to remember they "share the air".....

I couldn't agree with you more!! It drives me nuts to see smokers in areas that they know they are not allowed to smoke. One bad apple...... applies here. Even as a smoker, I also feel that there should more non-smoking designated areas in DTD. I always see smokers just walking anywhere with a smoke in their hands blowing it any-which-way.

I guess to sum up my rant, I can only control what I can control. I will continue to follow the rules until this liberty is also taken away. But until then..........:mickey:

mom2morgan
02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
The smoking areas are pretty restrictive and in out-of-the way places so if you really need to avoid them, it's usually pretty easy to do so... and it would be an administrative nightmare, I think, to make a change like that, as well as to enforce it, so i think they would probably keep it as it is now.
At Port Orleans, there was a smoking bench right beside our quiet pool. NOT so easy to avoid - yuck!

Hammer
02-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Everyone, this thread is going off topic on an issue that has been discussed ad nauseum in accommodations. There is nothing to be gained by continuing this thread.