PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Commercials

JanetMegan
02-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Wow no thread for this yet this morning...

On an evening that began with an unforgivable flub of the National Anthem and then a fly over for a Dome game (how much did that cost?) I thought the commercials for the most part were lackluster (I wanted a better e-trade baby commercial so bad!)but a few of my faves...

1. Budweiser-Tiny Dancer
2. Bridgestone-Beaver
3. Chrysler-with Eminem (oddly his Brisk Tea commercials was one of my least faves.)
4. Doritos-Finger Licking

Two of my favorite commercials that have been out for awhile also ran here the one with the guy who is peeved cause he didn't get invited to the office taco party (Hey I like Tacos!) and I love the one where the family is around the dinner table and they are making all these comments and the wife asks if she can mow the grass and the husband says "Only if I can talk to your mother on the phone for hours on end."

Altair
02-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Not a good year for Super Bowl commercials. I liked the Darth Vader kid and the Bridgestone Beaver the best. Many of them were just plain creepy.:(

Tink1
02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Not a good year for Super Bowl commercials. I liked the Darth Vader kid and the Bridgestone Beaver the best. Many of them were just plain creepy.:(

Have to agree with this. Those were my favorites as well.

I think Lackluster is the perfect word to use, JanetMegan

Nanc

Melanie
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Darth Vader kid hands down the best, and that's not saying much.

disneymom15
02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I didn't care must for the commercials or the half time show.

Altair
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I didn't care must for the commercials or the half time show.

How about that new and improved Star Spangled Banner?:D

SBETigg
02-07-2011, 09:38 AM
I actually liked a few ads this year, better than last year for me. I liked a few of the Doritos spots, especially the one where the guy brought Grandpa back. I loved the Bridgestone Reply to All spot, because I have friends who have done that with embarrassing results.

Donny Deustch was talking about the ads on the Today Show this morning. He hates ads that make men look like idiots (mostly agreed) but then he loved the Pepsi spot with the overbearing wife that knocks out the other woman who looked at her husband. He called that one "reality." OH? So idiot men, bad, but stereotyping women, quite all right to Donny. I shake my head. For the record, the Pepsi ad didn't bother me. I laughed. But I thought it was typical that Donny took offense at the male portrayals and not the female.

JanetMegan
02-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Oh I forgot about the Reply All one, that was funny.

Ian
02-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Darth Vader kid hands down the best, and that's not saying much.Agree totally ... these two plus the Detroit one were the only three worth anything and the Darth Vader kid was the best, hands down.

Terrible commercials and a terrible halftime show.

Fortunately the game was great, which made up for it!

laprana
02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Darth Vader kid was definitely my favorite this year! I also liked the Car Max one where the guy pulls into a 1950's-style service station and he freaks out when all the station employees come and start servicing his car. ;)

Tygger7
02-07-2011, 10:23 AM
For me, hands down...the pug running for the Doritos ad. Maybe it's just because I have pugs and my Bella would knock a door in for ANY type of food, but I loved that ad. :D

sorcerer fan
02-07-2011, 10:48 AM
my vote for the dogs and bud lite.

SBETigg
02-07-2011, 11:18 AM
For me, hands down...the pug running for the Doritos ad. Maybe it's just because I have pugs and my Bella would knock a door in for ANY type of food, but I loved that ad. :D

Oh gosh, yes! I loved that one! How could I forget it. My pug Drake would have done the same. I miss him.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Bleh....nothing really stood out much

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah - the thrill of the Super Bowl commercials is starting run it's course. Pretty lackluster year again for memorable commercials.

Like most, I probalby got the biggest kick out of the Darth Vader kid.

I specifically recall saying after the Tiny Dancer commercial "this one one won't hold up to the test of time" thought it was pretty lame.

I think it was Career Builder, I always like them, the commercial where the human worker gets blocked in on both sides by the monkeys parking their cars.

Some commercials had really good moments, like Kenny G poking fun of himself in the Audi commercial, but the commercial as a whole wasn't that great.

The problem is that the expectation and the hype becomes so great that no commercial can really live up to it. It too was hoping for an early and great ETrade baby commercial, alas not.

Pagan
02-07-2011, 05:28 PM
On an evening that began with an unforgivable flub of the National Anthem and then a fly over for a Dome game (how much did that cost?)
Don't forget the 400 fans who paid $800 a seat and were relocated to watch the game on monitors in the North Field Club behind the Pittsburgh bench because temporary seats were set up so late that there was no time for the Fire Marshall to inspect them.

They're getting refunded triple the price of the tickets - the face value that is, like anyone paid face value - which I'm sure will cover their flights and hotel rooms.

Melanie
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM
They're getting refunded triple the price of the tickets - the face value that is, like anyone paid face value - which I'm sure will cover their flights and hotel rooms.

They also got comp food, beverages and merchadise, as well as tickets for next year's Super Bowl. Granted that stinks if they were actually a Steeler or Packer fan and their team doesn't make it next year, but sometimes things happen and this seems like pretty fair compensation to me. I bet they will be well taken care of next year.

coloradowendyl
02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I liked the NFL fan commercial with the clips of Superbowl celebrations on TV shows. I actually flipped to the puppy bowl on Animal Planet a few times which I found WAY more entertaining than the commercials!

However, the 25 male college students watching at my house enjoyed Kim Kardashian (blech!!!!) :sick:

And, when for pete's sake did the Super Bowl start having a "red carpet" lol? Way Way too much coverage of celebrities and pseudo celebs for my liking!

Wendy

BellesRose
02-07-2011, 07:50 PM
And, when for pete's sake did the Super Bowl start having a "red carpet" lol? Way Way too much coverage of celebrities and pseudo celebs for my liking!
I noticed that! I don't usually watch the game, but saw that and thought it was totally weird.

I didn't really watch most of the game or the commercials, but I did catch Darth Vader and thought it was funny. Just found out that he's the adorable little kid on The Young and the Restless.

Hammer
02-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I actually flipped to the puppy bowl on Animal Planet a few times which I found WAY more entertaining than the commercials!

Did not watched the Puppy Bowl this year. Watched it last year, but it makes me miss Harry Kalas (he was the "play by play"announcer for Puppy Bowl until his passing in 2009)

Wendy

Yeah, I definitely could have done without seeing Cameron Diaz feed Alex Rodriguez popcorn :ack: !

I liked most of the ones which have already been mentioned with Darth Vader kid and the Eminem Chrysler Detroit one being my favorites. Another I liked that no one has mentioned was the Fox promo with House and the little kid doing a takeoff on the old Coca Cola Mean Joe Green commercial. Made me laugh out loud!

Commercial I hated the most- the Teleflora commercial with Faith Hill!

kakn7294
02-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Being Steeler fans and having a completely obsessed hubby, we had to listen to the radio broadcast for the game (even had to take the laptop to Florida to listen via internet for AFC title game) so I was only allowed to watch the commercials for the first and part of the second quarters. I can't say I was overly impressed with any of them but the Darth Vader kid was my favorite of what I did see.

Ian
02-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Another I liked that no one has mentioned was the Fox promo with House and the little kid doing a takeoff on the old Coca Cola Mean Joe Green commercial. Made me laugh out loud!Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! That was funny ... a hit in our house, as well. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I think it was Career Builder, I always like them, the commercial where the human worker gets blocked in on both sides by the monkeys parking their cars.
Ugh, not me. I have never understood why monkeys in commercials are funny.

I liked the Snickers commercial with Richard Lewis and Roseanne Barr (thought maybe some others might have liked it for the log that decked her). And the Darth Vader one was cute. The Doritos "Best Part" commercial was gross, but I couldn't help laughing at it. And I liked all the snippets of old sitcoms they showed in the nfl.com commercial. But where was the heart-warming Anheiser Busch clydesdales ad? Just showing them at the beginning of that "wild west" commercial was lame.

Ian
02-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Ugh, not me. I have never understood why monkeys in commercials are funny.I'll take the a step farther and say I've never understood why monkeys are funny period.

That goes for movies, commercials, print ads, websites or anything.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO played!

Altair
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Chimpanzees are great apes not monkeys. A monkey could not drive a car. :monkey:

MNNHFLTX
02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Chimpanzees are great apes not monkeys. A monkey could not drive a car. :monkey:Tomatoes, tomahtoes. They are still decidedly un-funny to me. :monkey: = :nope:

princessgirls
02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
After reading these posts, I am so glad I am not alone thinking that The Half Time Show was AWFUL!!!!
From Christina flubbed the National Anthem, right on down. Get rid of the "Pop" stars.

Kind of think the old rockers, gave much better shows...Bruce, Tom Petty, The Who, Rolling Stones, even Prince were good. They get the "stadium" event.

Commercials...LOVED little Darth Vader and his powers. LOVE that Death Star music!! It made the commercial!
OK...I've said my peace.
Hope we have a Superbowl at all next year. NO NFL LOCKOUT!
Julie:mickey:

SBETigg
02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Tomatoes, tomahtoes. They are still decidedly un-funny to me. :monkey: = :nope:

Totally agree with you, Beth. I find them creepy.

alphamommy
02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
It was a slim year for good commercials, but I did like the Darth Vader commercial (although I saw it on Facebook a week or so before the Super Bowl).

One no one else mentioned that I thought was great was the Bud Light product placement commercial (Medieval movie knights sword fighting while holding bottles of Bud Light with the labels facing the camera). It aired early in the first half.

I also wasn't a big fan of the halftime show.

White Rose
02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Being Steeler fans and having a completely obsessed hubby, we had to listen to the radio broadcast for the game (even had to take the laptop to Florida to listen via internet for AFC title game) so I was only allowed to watch the commercials for the first and part of the second quarters. I can't say I was overly impressed with any of them but the Darth Vader kid was my favorite of what I did see.

Kathy, this is SO random, but I was in Disney in January from the 11-18 and being from Baltimore (ahem! Love my Ravens!), my friend and I were CONSTANTLY checking the score of their game vs the Steelers that Saturday we were there. We ran into a couple on the bus with a teenage son and the husband was wearing a Steelers jacket on the bus, after the game was over and we were coming back from Downtown Disney. We ended up getting into a bit of a conversation with them, as someone misinterpreted the jacket and thought the man was a Ravens fan :confused:. I'm curious now if you may have been the wife of that man! :blush:

ON topic, I really only cared for the Eminem-Chrysler commercial and the kid Darth Vader one. While the half-time show was...interesting, my little sister and I got a great laugh out of the dancers with boxes on their heads! :D