PDA

View Full Version : Seats on the buses!

lovinmesomedisney
02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
We just got back from a trip to DW. I absolutely love DW and have gone now 17 times in the past 15 years. My only problem is the buses. I DO NOT like to stand on a bus. For one reason, it is dangerous. For another, either in the morning before I am going to be walking all day, or at night, AFTER I have been walking all day, I want to sit down! I ALWAYS choose to wait for the next bus rather than stand. This past trip, the CM helping to load the buses at the MK was pushing everyone to get on the bus. Sardines in a can is the best I can describe it, after Wishes. I told him, I would rather wait. He got a little huffy and said, "You can stand here and wait, or you can stand on the bus and get back to your resort!" Well, no offense, but I would much rather wait. The buses were pulling in two at a time, and about 5 minutes apart. Not a big deal to me, especially since we were staying at the POP, which is a little bit of a ride from the MK. I just want people to know though, I waited purposely for that seat on that bus. I am not going to give that seat up for ANYONE! If people want a seat, then wait for the next bus. Someone commented that there were people sitting who could stand and honestly it kind of ticked me off. If you want a seat, wait for one, but don't expect me to get up and give you mine!

zcrsdad
02-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I agree with you. I always have my son sit in my lap when the bus is crowded, even though he is now 11 and getting a little big to do it, I still plan on having him do it on our next trip. Sometimes if I feel like it, I'll get on a crowed bus but if I feel my legs cannot handle the sudden stops and take offs I wait for another one.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-05-2011, 10:50 PM
And people shouldn't make the assumption that just because you LOOK healthy, that this means you actually are! My mother had MS and couldn't walk or stand for a long period of time. But to look at her you'd have thought she was fine. And even though I'm not old (at least I don't think so!) I'm no longer young, that doesn't mean I should have to give up my seat. I will if the person is older, pregnant or is carrying a child but that's my choice.
So yes, if you choose to wait for another bus, you should get to choose to sit down. If someone else wants a seat that badly, they can wait for the next bus.

jlmct52
02-05-2011, 11:03 PM
And people shouldn't make the assumption that just because you LOOK healthy, that this means you actually are! My mother had MS and couldn't walk or stand for a long period of time. But to look at her you'd have thought she was fine.

Tigerinvestigator
02-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Anybody remember what happened last time this issue came up? LOL .....it wasn't pretty!:thumbsup:

ransam
02-06-2011, 01:50 AM
i don't see a problem. If you want to sit, and you wait for the next bus...it's your option. Don't worry what others think

Fastpasssteve
02-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Before we all dive into this same pool again, check out the post on page 7 of this discussion board RE taking a seat. It got 2,434 views! Every possible viewpoint was aired. Check it out.

And then take a deep breath...and find your laughing place.

johnO
02-06-2011, 02:23 AM
I wouldnt worry about what people say. If you wanna keep your seat, do it. You paid for it.

retiredfigment
02-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Have to share a chuckle. I do not feel old by any means, but am approaching it I guess according to some folks standards. On our last DW trip we were on a very crowded bus, and I was standing. No biggie. Then a teen offered me his seat. Oops, what was he trying to tell me? Kind of took the wind out of my sails.

DizneyRox
02-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah, you know what they say about opinions. I used to give up my seat, but often it went to people I ddn't feel should have gotten it. So, now I save myself the aggrivation and sit when I can and stand when I need to.

What other people think of it makes no difference to me.

luvdiznee
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I've learned to wait for a bus where I will get a seat, every since I almost fell once when standing, when the bus took off (yes, I was holding on). Nor will I let my DD be invited to sit in the lap of some male stranger. :mad:

I've seen enough of Disney to have my patience when I go there. ;)

LynBug
02-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I can definately relate to not wanting to stand on the bus, especially after a long day of walking! It can be hard to hold on and keep your balance when you're very sleepy and feel weak. But in most cases, we'll just get on the bus and stand if that's the only space available. And I agree, if I get my seat on the bus, I most likely will not give it up, unless it looks like someone who has to stand absolutely needs a seat more than I do. But people shouldn't be complaining that there are people sitting who could easily be standing. Everyone deserves a seat, but it just doesn't work out that way. First come, firt serve

LudwigVonDrake
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't mind standing on the buses. Gets me back to my resort sooner :shrug:

akaDisneyDreamer
02-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Obvioulsy we would all prefer to sit on the bus, especially after a long day of walking the parks. However, if I have to stand, I do so without complaint. Last summer my ankles were swelling so bad, but I chose to get on the bus and stand, just wanting to get over to Epcot as quiclkly as possible for our dinner reservations. A very nice young man who was seated with his wife and child, stood and offered me his seat and at first I thought, "that's not fair, he got on first ... it's his seat", but he wasn't about to sit back down. I actually felt a little embarrased at first, but I thanked him and gratefully took the seat. A few minutes later I heard his small son (probably about 4 years old, my guess) ask his mother why daddy got up and she said, "he's being a gentleman". The little boy said "I want to be a gentleman too!" I thought that was very sweet. Now, I'm not implying a true gentleman would give his seat up, because I feel he deserved that seat just as much as anyone else, but I was appreciative of his act of kindness just the same.

mom2morgan
02-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Nor will I let my DD be invited to sit in the lap of some male stranger. :mad:

EWWWW - has that actually happened??! That just totally creeps me out.

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-06-2011, 01:56 PM
My feet hurt everyday after a day at the world so standing or sitting doesnt really matter to me. CALGON TAKE ME AWAY.

Momto3littlemice
02-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I feel like if I am healthy enough to give up my seat then I am thankful and happy to do so. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
1) All newer buses have more standing room than seating.
. . . this allows more riders per bus
. . . thus, fewer buses and drivers
2) New or old, I give up my seat seldom.
. . . I surrender my seat to pregnant women
. . . I surrender my seat to physically handicapped
. . . I do not surrender my seat to those holding children
. . . I do not surrender my seat to tired men or women
3) Being tired after a day at parks is no excuse to claim a seat form others.
4) Either wait for another bus, or leave the parks earlier when less tired.

NOTE: Many adults feel they should have a seat to hold their tired or sleeping child. I feel they should have taken the child back to the resort far earlier. Just because they are on vacation does not mean a small child will be able to stay up later than usual.

Disney Doll
02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
1. If I am planning a vacation where I will be walking countless miles I can't see the difference a standing bus ride makes. This goes for walking distances at resorts too. It's Disney, you will be walking...a lot. If you walk until you cannot stand another moment you probably should have called it a day hours ago.

2. I do agree that standing on buses can be dangerous. I hate to see kids standing because often adults have trouble keeping balance and could easily knock a kid down by accident.

3. I will never sit on a bus unless everyone else is sitting. I am healthy, athletic, and easily able to stand (even while holding a child or while pregnant). I know that for sure about myself, but I don't know the health or ability level of anyone else so I stand.

4. Now that I have two kids and the safety concerns with kids standing we rent a car. That's the way to go in my opinion. :car:

Daisy'sMom
02-06-2011, 06:30 PM

NOTE: Many adults feel they should have a seat to hold their tired or sleeping child. I feel they should have taken the child back to the resort far earlier. Just because they are on vacation does not mean a small child will be able to stay up later than usual.

I agree with you. In everything you said. I also have no idea why this topic came up again.

jimsgal05
02-06-2011, 08:31 PM
To Retiredfigment, I thought that was sweet that a teenager would give up thier seat for you... Y'know his mom raised him well even if you aren't OLD... I
think this topic is funny...I was sneared at the last time I went because my child was in a stroller asleep but her stroller also had a "SPECIAL" tag..the ones for disablies...I stood I didn't sit but they straped her in where they put people in wheel chairs mind you this was 11am going from MK back to S. Springs.. I got dirty looks there was 4 of us on the darn BUS
Hey, sit stand do what ya want..I will give up my seat for older person that looks like they don't want to stand or a preg/ momw many kids. or wait for another so I can sit...
:bus:

luvdiznee
02-06-2011, 10:09 PM
EWWWW - has that actually happened??! That just totally creeps me out.

Definitely.

I also have no idea why this topic came up again.

Everything old is new again.

Silver_Surfer
02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm one of thoes people that some snicker at. Agree with the earlier posters you cannot tell what a persons health just by looking. I'm not old and you cannot tell that I have a problem while I'm sitting or standing.

javamama
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I try to be polite to everyone, I take care of my own little muppets first and foremost. I of course prefer like most to sit my rump down for the ride, as well as my dh. My dh will get up lots of times to give his seat to someone who looks like they need it more than him, or we'll put one of our muppets on our lap to make room.
After our fight in '08 at the Poly bus stop I have view things alot differently. The bus drivers need to pay more attention to certain things that I will not go into details about again, and guests need to not abuse certain things as well IMO(strictly). I guess I woke up from my own little Fantasyland as dh says:mickey:
Honestly outside the world you see this too, on buses, planes, and trains. Planes people don't want to switch seats to get families together sometimes...it's hard, but life goes on:blush:

magicman
02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
It helps so much to go in to a trip expecting to stand every time you ride on a bus. We vowed before we left two weeks ago for our trip that we were going to offer our seats to whomever needed them & we were going to stand. It's funny how this made us so much less begrudging.

(On a side note: we also said that we weren't going to let ourselves judge who did & did not really need scooters [which I'm guilty of doing in the past], and we weren't going to let Brazilian tour group traffic bother us. We found that vowing to not let these things bother us really helped us to not dwell on stuff that is really irrelevant & totally out of our control.)

BigThunderFan
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM

I do not mean for this to fire anyone up, but if you feel the need to get up for a pregnant woman that has two hands to hold on, why would you not feel the need to get up for someone holding a child that can not safely stand (no hands to hold on)?

I do agree that people keep their children out too late, but there are also those that have young children that may also have fallen asleep in the stroller even at an early hour.

What about on the way to the park when the bus is standing room only? Did the parents pick the wrong time to take their kids to the park?

I know everyone has their own circumstances, and you sometimes have to make a decision on when to stand. But I choose to stand if there is anyone else on the bus that needs to stand. Some day that may change and I am thankful for every day I am able to do it now.

I just found it odd that you choose NOT to stand for those with children. :confused:

ChipNDale79
02-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I do not mean for this to fire anyone up, but if you feel the need to get up for a pregnant woman that has two hands to hold on, why would you not feel the need to get up for someone holding a child that can not safely stand (no hands to hold on)?

I do agree that people keep their children out too late, but there are also those that have young children that may also have fallen asleep in the stroller even at an early hour.

What about on the way to the park when the bus is standing room only? Did the parents pick the wrong time to take their kids to the park?

I know everyone has their own circumstances, and you sometimes have to make a decision on when to stand. But I choose to stand if there is anyone else on the bus that needs to stand. Some day that may change and I am thankful for every day I am able to do it now.

I just found it odd that you choose NOT to stand for those with children. :confused:

:thumbsup:

Gator
02-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I agree with you. In everything you said. I also have no idea why this topic came up again.

I do. I just got back 2 days ago, and the bus drives/bus waits are the one thing that bothers me on a Disney trip. It's where you get to see people as they really are, and it's never pretty. On my last day at Epcot, I stopped outside of the bus to fold up my stroller and 10 people filed passed me, as if I were stopping for them to get on first. That kind of stuff bothers me and everyone else.

It's the one seat everyone want a fastpass for and will never be able to get.

NJDad
02-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Of course, there are some people who wonder why people with strollers don't fold them up in line so they don't end up trying to do it at the last second.

Mickey'sGirl
02-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I honestly don't see why one would get up for a pregnant woman. Pregnancy is not an illness ... and like previous posters have said, if you feel that you MUST sit then wait for the next bus.

I am 41, have rheumatoid arthritis, and do not "look" like I have a disability. I do not expect someone else to give up their seat for me (although I am thankful when/if someone does :blush: ). We choose to drive to the parks, except for MK. If I do not get a seat on the MK bus, then I will stand, as will my children.

ChipNDale79
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
It always surprises who people wont give up their seats for.

To the people that can stand and will not give up their seats to a pregnant lady or a parent holding a sleeping child, shame on you.

To me that says a lot about a person.

My wife and I are expecting our first child in July and will be making our last trip as a couple in March, I dont expect people to give up their seats for her (and after reading this board i see that many wont) but if someone does, she'll gladly take it.

Melanie
02-08-2011, 08:39 AM
And with that, this thread is closed. It's clear everyone has different opinions, and that's okay, but we've :beat: this topic two times in a month.

Moving on. :)