PDA

View Full Version : Just Dessert at Artist Point @ WL

TinaAndGlenn
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Is it possible to just have dessert at Artist Point? We have never eaten there, but not sure if we want to eat an entire meal there. We are not on a dining plan, love trying new places, and do not have a problem spending a good amount on a dinner, as long as it is worth it.

wdw dude
02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
It's worth it.

Other than Victoria & Albert's, AP is probably my favorite place to eat in all of WDW.

:mickey:

Mousemates
02-03-2011, 05:56 PM
We had one of our two best meals ever at the Artist Point...(not really sure which was #1, the other was at California Grill)....but its worth it.

gardenia
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Let me warn you, the menu at Artist Point has changed recently and the food quality took a huge dive. I posted a review on Trip Advisor, titled "Sad, sudden, steep decline in food quality" - it includes pictures, so you can judge for yourself. The appetizers and entrees were such a disappointment that we SKIPPED dessert, but I was told by the waiter that desserts had changed too.

TheRustyScupper
02-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Is it possible to just have dessert at Artist Point?

1) Yes, you can.
2) But, with the new changes you might not want to.

KylesMom
02-03-2011, 06:57 PM
1) Yes, you can.

Rusty, you seem to always be in the "know" about WL. Would you care to elaborate on how the desserts have declined so abruptly at AP? I'm sure many questions will follow your last post . . . :wine:

gardenia
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
1) Yes, you can.

I see that Rusty has noticed the changes... pretty hard not to! I can't believe what they are now sending out of the kitchen there. And it used to be my favorite restaurant in the World.

wdw dude
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Has Artist Point declined since April 2010? That's the last time I was there. It was excellent at that time.

gardenia
02-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Has Artist Point declined since April 2010? That's the last time I was there. It was excellent at that time.

We ate there in September 2010 and it was divine. So we were shocked by the change in menu and quality that we experienced in January 2011.

wdw dude
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
So we were shocked by the change in menu and quality that we experienced in January 2011.

I'm really sad to read this. I'll probably go back on a future trip, so we'll have to see. AP has been a favorite of mine and I hope I won't be disappointed.

TinaAndGlenn
02-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the info (I read all the TripAdvisor posts), we are still searching for a special dinner place. We feel many of our favorites have changed since the dining plan. Glad we are not the only ones to take notice.

BugeyedMuggy
02-05-2011, 01:22 PM
We ate there in 2010 and it was our favorite dining in all our trips last year. We made ressies for our 25th anniversary this May 2011 and after reading these reviews are considering canceling them. This is really too bad as we have noticed alot of the Disney dining has gone downhill. We may now consider a less expensive dining so we won't feel so disappointed or maybe Shula or Bluezoo.

waymickey
02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
AP was a great meal at one time. I think the free DP is to blame for the quality of the food in all of the restaurants going down hill. In order to make their money back they change them menus. Most of the food is the same no matter where you go, and it all seems to be heat and eat.
Too bad- on the up note I hear that the food on the cruise is great. Can't wait!

gardenia
02-07-2011, 07:12 AM
You know, free dining had been going on for years before this change in AP's menu. So I'm not ready to lay 100% of the blame on DDP. Maybe 20%. But only a really bad chef could have plated the entrees we had.

BugeyedMuggy
02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I downloaded the new menu and saw my favorite selection was still on it. Has the Cedar Plank Salmon changed? Is the food different or just the menu? We really want to go in May but not if the food itself has gone downhill.

darthmacho
02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Sad to hear about the decline, but I'm assuming that's a subjective matter, and you're going to give it a try?

My suggestion would be, instead of a full meal, you might sample an appetizer or two before the dessert, and accompany that with some delicious wine from the Pacific Northwest. :wine:

ElenitaB
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Unless they've radically changed their recipe for their signature berry cobbler dessert, I think the OP's idea of just desserts (or an app and dessert) would work out just fine.

May I ask specifically what dishes were so disappointing when you (Rusty and gardenia) went, so as to know to avoid them?

Crow
02-16-2011, 10:10 PM
I want to know if it is that bad now also...used to b a fav place but didnt go last yr. staying at WL next month & plan on eating there for a nice meal w fiancee.

gardenia
02-17-2011, 07:12 PM
May I ask specifically what dishes were so disappointing when you (Rusty and gardenia) went, so as to know to avoid them?

Like I said - I posted a detailed review on Trip Advisor, titled "Sad, sudden, steep decline in food quality" - it includes pictures. We've been going to AP for years but won't go again anytime in the forseeable future. FYI, the wine list has changed too.

Mousemates
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
We ate there in September 2010 and it was divine. So we were shocked by the change in menu and quality that we experienced in January 2011.

thats (Sept 2010) when we were there and had a truly wonderful dining experience (personalized menus, wonderful waitstaff, and super food)...super sad :( to hear it went into a nosedive.

gardenia
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I downloaded the new menu and saw my favorite selection was still on it. Has the Cedar Plank Salmon changed? Is the food different or just the menu? We really want to go in May but not if the food itself has gone downhill.

There are several more recent reviews on TripAdvisor, and one specifically mentions the Salmon, and not in a good way. Read the first 2 pages of reviews - they're pretty scary!

KylesMom
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Gardenia, can you please elaborate? You keep trying to drive folks to another site, but we all come here for first-hand reports. You've mentioned the site three different times, but we'd appreciate not having to look to another place to get our information.

Thanks for any help you can give our members. :thumbsup: