PDA

View Full Version : Mk challenge

NY GOOFY
02-03-2011, 11:53 AM
We have been to WDW every year for the last 15. We are always looking for something new to do or try. A friend told us that there is a challenge to attempt to ride every ride and see every show in MK in one day. DW and I being both type A personalities are curious about trying this. Has anyone heard of this? Has anyone tried it? Is it something run by DIsney?
Any info would be appreciated :mickey:

joonyer
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't think there is any kind of "official" challenge, where you get any recognition, etc. not that I've ever heard of anyway. But the only way you're going to be able to pull this off is to go when crowds are extremely low, or to visit when the park is open til 2 or 3 a.m. (usually this is when crowds are heavy in the summer or holidays) and be at the rope drop at park opening, and stay until you are done. There is a lot to do at MK if you include every single attraction, show, parades & fireworks too. Good luck!

Clairenmn
02-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Google "Ultimate Touring Plan" - it's not WDW official but there is a plan and rules my DH and I have been thinking about it too - just don't know if we could do it with out killing each other!! And they say you can do it with out EMH too...

joonyer
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
I got curious about the probability of being able to do this, so after reviewing several online sites, I came up with 46 MK attractions and shows, which includes 2 parades (one afternoon, one nighttime) and the fireworks show. That number does NOT include spontaneous street shows or entertainment, character meet & greets, or gift shops or any food shops or restaurants.

The following are conservative estimates of the time it might take, on a day with low crowds. Your mileage may differ. :)

2 Parades: 45 minutes each (counting finding a seat and waiting and watching time)
1 Fireworks show: 30 minutes (if you don't try to get a "front" row main street seat).

On a good (low) crowd day, I figure 15 minutes on average for waiting and riding time for each of the remaining 43 attractions and shows. Note: some will take longer, but some will take less, if you have a good plan. (i.e don't try to ride Dumbo with a 60 minute wait). That's an additional 645 minutes or 10 hours and 45 minutes. Total so far: 12 hours, 45 minutes.

That does not include even 3 minutes walking or dawdling time from the exit of one attraction entering the queue at the next one. If you figure that in that time, that's at least an additional 120 minutes (2 more hours); total now up to 14 hours, 45 minutes.

Notice so far no time has been added for eating or bathroom breaks. Add 2 counter service meals, at least 20 minutes each (you'll be lucky to do it that fast), and 4 bathroom breaks at 5 minutes each, and you've added another hour, bringing the total to 15 hours and 45 minutes. You might be able to shave a little time off that total, (i.e. if you didn't try to get a seat for a parade or until it actually started) but not a whole lot. maybe a half-hour to an hour less tops. That's still nearly 15 hours.

Keep in mind that includes ZERO time for sitting and resting or taking a break (other than while watching a parade or show). If you start at rope drop at 8:00 on an early EMH day, it would take you until nearly midnight, (11:45p.m) so the odds of being able to do this on a day when MK doesn't stay open late are very long. You might be able to shave a little time off that total, (i.e. if you didn't try to get a seat for a parade or until it actually started) but not a whole lot. maybe a half-hour to an hour less tops. That's still nearly 15 hours.

Could it be done? Yes, maybe if you had a good plan, were extremely lucky with very short waits, and you could run from one attraction to the next, could last the day without stopping to eat much and could hold your bladder for long periods of time. Sure it could be done :D But I don't think I'm going to be trying to do it.

Polynesian Dweller
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm not convinced it can be done. Joiner has done a nice analysis. But, if MK was open that long then it's pretty much guaranteed the crowds aren't going to be low. They simply don't have long hours during low crowd times. You would certainly run into some long lines since you could only get FP for a handful of rides. Also, I think joonyer left out the twice daily castle show so about another 20 minutes there.

NY GOOFY
02-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't know I think it can be done with FP, good planning, and a few short cuts. I'm thinking using fast passes, using evening EMH, not getting there early for a parade (don't need to have front row spot), it can be done. Lets here any other opinions. What do you think

ransam
02-27-2011, 02:35 PM
sounds fun to me...

BigThunderFan
02-27-2011, 11:24 PM
We have done it several times, without EMH and with a break in the middle of the day (Hall of Presidents :secret: ).

It is super easy in January if you get there early and use FP correctly. We always have EVERY ride ridden by 12, then do the shows and use FP throughout the rest of the day.

The above poster guessed on average 15 minutes per ride. That is very high if you do it right. We never wait in line more than five minutes, and with the few boat ride exceptions (Jungle Cruise, PotC, Small World, Splash, even HM) none of the rides themselves are over 5 minutes long.

It definitely can be done, but requires a good touring plan, and very good speed walking abilities :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure that sounds like fun to me! I love riding everything, but that sounds like a ton of work. Plus I would have to ride things I don't like (tea cups, astro orbiter, IASM)...I'm much happier taking my time and only seeing what I like!

joonyer
02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
We have done it several times, without EMH and with a break in the middle of the day (Hall of Presidents :secret: ).

It is super easy in January if you get there early and use FP correctly. We always have EVERY ride ridden by 12, then do the shows and use FP throughout the rest of the day.

The above poster guessed on average 15 minutes per ride. That is very high if you do it right. We never wait in line more than five minutes, and with the few boat ride exceptions (Jungle Cruise, PotC, Small World, Splash, even HM) none of the rides themselves are over 5 minutes long.

It definitely can be done, but requires a good touring plan, and very good speed walking abilities :mickey:

I can see how you could do it, but such results require going during a slow season; low crowds are essential for waiting less than 5 minutes for many attractions, especially those that don't have FastPass. Even 10-15 minute average wait times, which most of us would consider short, would really stretch out the time it would take to experience every attraction.
We've never been in January, which I understand is one of the slowest times, crowd wise, so even the shortest average wait times we've experienced were much longer than 5 minutes.

ransam
02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
yea, the more i think of it, the less fun it seems.
To me it might take out some of the fun of just enjoying your day and taking in all the magic and little things.

lettripp
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure if someone already said this but yes, I know of this challenge. My cast member friend called it "Conquering the Kingdom."

I guess it is a challenge they used to partake in frequently on their days off... she laid out a pretty decent plan for it, but made the point that it is not for anyone that wants to enjoy the park because it is just move move move all day. If you think your party has the stamina and don't want to stop and smell the roses, it could be a fun challenge :mickey:

johnO
02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow, sounds like something I'd be willing to try at least once. But I doubt we will. We like taking our time which makes for a much better experience.