PDA

View Full Version : BLT vs AKL

Belster
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
So DH and I have been browsing at the idea of purchasing for a while. We have decided to purchase very soon. The problem is we are so torn about which resort to get....BLT or AKL??? We love them both!!

Can you help me???? What are the pros and cons to both?

mdhiggin
02-02-2011, 09:32 PM
BLT has cheaper annual dues. Their grounds are smaller and no animals, so less upkeep. If you really love both, buy two different contracts. We initially split ours into three different contracts, although all are at BLT. We were told it was easier for when our 3 children would inherit. Of course, recently we added another contract. Either we'll have to add two more to keep it even or have another kid. I think we'd rather add more contracts.:D While we prefer BLT, AKV has not been hard for us to book at 7 months. We don't go during the really busy times.

Belster
02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
So splitting contracts would that only allow me to use the amount of points that I have for that particular resort at the 11 month booking? So if I were to buy 200 points...100 at BLT and 100 at AKL but always wanted to stay BLT would I only be able to book using 100 points at the 11 month mark and then have to call back at 7 months to use the rest of my points?

Hope this makes sense.

I know the do's are less but not too significant..right now there is a deal for AKL that blows BLT out of the water with their $130 per point charge....yikes!!! BTW...I laughed at your comment about having more kiddos...we are in the same boat right now...lol.

Belster
02-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I guess I would love to hear your pro's and con's to both resorts...what makes you like one over the other???

seanyred
02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
So splitting contracts would that only allow me to use the amount of points that I have for that particular resort at the 11 month booking? So if I were to buy 200 points...100 at BLT and 100 at AKL but always wanted to stay BLT would I only be able to book using 100 points at the 11 month mark and then have to call back at 7 months to use the rest of my points?

You are correct. So if you wanted to use all 200 you have to keep your fingers crossed that you will get to use the other 100 at the 7month window.

As per a points pros and cons: You can use less points at AKL for lets say an 7 day trip then at BLT.

For the resorts themselves: I can't talk about BLT since I've never stayed their before so here is my opinion about AKL (Both Kidani and Jambo House)

Pros:
Kidani has the best pool area, lots a places for kids of all ages to play and get wet.

Kidani has great views of the animals even if you have a standard view, you can walk out of your room and within a few steps you have a huge picture window to look at the animals.

Kidani feels cozy and warm.

Kidani has Sanaa a excellent restaurant with great views of the animals.

Jambo House has a great Counter Service restaurant and the Buffet at Boma is the best buffet in all of WDW (IMHO)

After a long day at the parks AKL feels very secluded, relaxing and peaceful.

Finally, this is just my biased opinion but the atmosphere at AKL (kidani and Jambo) is nothing like I have ever experienced before. I've visited the Contemporary and think its cool but the feel to AKL always feels like home.

Cons:
I don't have many. With Kidani you don't have a Counter Service resteraunt so you have to go to Jambo House.

At Jambo House you don't feel as close to the animals.

Also if you are utilizing Disney Transportation the bus rides are the longest as compared to any other resort. Except for Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach of course.

Some folks I've heard complain about the walking at AKL but that part doesn't bother me.

Hope this helps.

Belster
02-03-2011, 12:42 AM
You are correct. So if you wanted to use all 200 you have to keep your fingers crossed that you will get to use the other 100 at the 7month window.

As per a points pros and cons: You can use less points at AKL for lets say an 7 day trip then at BLT.

For the resorts themselves: I can't talk about BLT since I've never stayed their before so here is my opinion about AKL (Both Kidani and Jambo House)

Pros:
Kidani has the best pool area, lots a places for kids of all ages to play and get wet.

Kidani has great views of the animals even if you have a standard view, you can walk out of your room and within a few steps you have a huge picture window to look at the animals.

Kidani feels cozy and warm.

Kidani has Sanaa a excellent restaurant with great views of the animals.

Jambo House has a great Counter Service restaurant and the Buffet at Boma is the best buffet in all of WDW (IMHO)

After a long day at the parks AKL feels very secluded, relaxing and peaceful.

Finally, this is just my biased opinion but the atmosphere at AKL (kidani and Jambo) is nothing like I have ever experienced before. I've visited the Contemporary and think its cool but the feel to AKL always feels like home.

Cons:
I don't have many. With Kidani you don't have a Counter Service resteraunt so you have to go to Jambo House.

At Jambo House you don't feel as close to the animals.

Also if you are utilizing Disney Transportation the bus rides are the longest as compared to any other resort. Except for Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach of course.

Some folks I've heard complain about the walking at AKL but that part doesn't bother me.

Hope this helps.

Wow!!! Yes...you have helped a ton!! Your reason of it feeling cozy was exactly why I love it there!! We have never stayed and up until this past October have never even been there...but we ate at Booma and from the minute I walked in...I felt at home. My only issue is that it would be so awesome to stay on the monorail but we usually stay at Pop and love it there so AKL is prob about the same distance don't you think?

I am an ambiance girl...I have stayed at GF and Poly but only liked GF and LOVED Poly just feels so at home. I have also stayed at CSR did not like it at all....but it was a pretty resort. We have stayed at Pop 5 times and loved every minute of it.

Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

mdhiggin
02-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Sorry. I've been away from the boards a few days. Another thing to consider with two different ones is the initial point contract, I believe, has to be a minimum amount like 160 or something. I think add-ons can be whatever. With our add-on in December, they had an incredible deal for $102/pt at BLT. It was not for first-time purchasers, though. We also got a $750 gift card and a gift basket.

Anyway, pros and cons of the two:
BLT wins for us mostly because of it's location. We do like the theming, but if I could put AKV in it's place, well, I'd pick AKV. BLT has a sad counter service. Honestly, I feel that most of the deluxes fail miserably in this category. I much prefer value and moderates for their counter service choices. However, there are a wide variety of table services along the monorail and at MK. The pool is nice, and you can also go to CT or hop over to one of the monorail line pools fairly easily.

As for AKV, we visited there late August and loved it. We saw animals all the time even without the savannah room. The cheapness of AKV standard rooms beats BLT all over the place. We had two great pools to swim at, which we preferred to BLT's pool. With Jambo within walking distance, there were adequate restaurants, although, again, mostly table service. The community hall was fabulous. They also had large windows and balconies to view the animals, storytime on the savannah, night vision goggles animal watching. Man, AKV is sounding even better the more I describe it. Biggest drawback, no park within walking distance.

Still, for us, nothing can top watching wishes every night from BLT,even with a Lake view, or from the rooftop or the 5 minute walk to MK which is much quicker than trying to bother with the monorail.

What kind of deal are they offering for AKV points? The December deal was the same cost for both. We just chose to stick with BLT for the cheaper dues or we might have bought some AKV too.

MinnieMommie
02-05-2011, 08:13 PM
These are 2 fantastic properties that have very different but equally appealing characteristics. We own at SSR and BLT. We did an add on recently and we thought hard and long about adding on with AKL but decided to add on to our BLT contract. In the end only you can decide which DVC wins out on the pro and con list.

One thing I will add is that we have never had trouble getting into AKL at the 7 month window and I expect that if I ever want to stay there for a portion of my vacation I will be able to do so again (it is such a large property). The only thing that is next to impossible to get at the 7 month window is a concierge level room. :mickey:

Belster
02-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks a bunch guys!!! I am still thinking that we will go with AKV...we always bring people with us and feel that we could get more space for less points there. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Keep em coming if you have any more. :mickey:

RAIDER
02-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks a bunch guys!!! I am still thinking that we will go with AKV...we always bring people with us and feel that we could get more space for less points there. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Keep em coming if you have any more. :mickey:

Ive only have the BLT experience and have never been to the AKV...So heres my view on the BLT if it helps

BLT
The views are amazing if you get a lake view (southside) or a MK view
The rooms are spacious and modern
Walking distance to MK
Skybridge walkway to the Contemporary
Use of not only the BLT pool but the Contemporary pool which is very handy when things get crowded ( Contemporary users cant use the BLT pool )
The top of the world cafe in order to see the MK fireworks at night on the 16th floor
The boat rental that allows you to paddle off near the MK area

My only annoyance ,is that there isnt a proper check in area as you have to go to the Contemporary to book in /check out . Would also be nice if they had a gift shop within the complex ....

Otherwise i love and it the time when we were at the DVC they were selling us AKV but we found it too dark ( living area just like the AKR ) So we plumpt fo the BLT .... But as we dont have kids this may have been a major factor

Good luck in whatever you do either way you cant go wrong :thumbsup: