PDA

View Full Version : Nasty employees

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
As my name implies, I do payroll and HR for about 750 people (by myself no less). I just wanted to know when it became acceptable to call me up and be so rude and nasty to me? I've never been treated so badly as I am at the company I'm at now. And when I say something back, my boss jumps all over me and tells me I need to develop thicker skin!!
Today I had a nasty former employee call for the THIRD day screaming at me because SHE claimed 5 dependants and had no federal taxes with held. She's the one who filled out the W4 claiming that many even though it's just her and her daughter. And then she said she was going to sue me! And then told me to shut up!! I told her that the conversation was done and not to call me again and hung up. She then left a voice message for my boss and I swear if he jumps all over me I'll walk out! He can hear my side of the conversations as can the rest of the office and he still jumps all over me. The rest of the office just sits there and says how they can't believe how people treat me. Why can't he see this?
Then later this morning I got a very rude email from a current manager and I forwarded it to his District Manager. The District Manager set him straight and told him not to contact me again without including him because he's tired of this guy treating me like garbage.

Why can't my boss back me like this? I know that the owner sees this because he's mentioned having me report to someone else. All I want is a little support!

SBETigg
02-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Kathy, you deserve some support and your boss should be providing it. I hope this gets better for you soon. Sorry for the abuse you have to endure, and I can definitely understand the need to vent.

Melanie
02-02-2011, 06:55 AM
How frustrating! I definitely know how it is to not have support from a boss. Good luck, and hopefully things will change for you.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry about that I'm fortunate enough to work for people who do not allow others to verbally abuse us...It does make a difference. Hang in there.

garymacd
02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Keep emails and make written notes of all interaction with your supervisor and disgruntled employees. Remember to note witnesses, if any. You need to protect yourself and your reputation, especially when it comes to looking for a new job or if you end up taking someone to Human Rights tribunal - assuming you have one it your jurisdiction.

One of the guys on my crew had to take his former supervisor (not me) to task for the way he was treated, and the way he treated others on his crew. It was a long procedure and the outcome wasn't what I would have hoped for, but it did get what I perceive as a valued and wonderful person back on my crew.

Remember two words: Poisoned Atmosphere. The company will have to ensure that you are not kept in that position with that supervisor.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks Gary. I don't think we have anything like that here. The good thing is that I sit right outside the owner's son's office. So he usually hears what's going on. In fact I had told him before that I almost walked out because of the way my boss jumped all over me. I know he told his father. My boss has actually been being "re-trained" so that he is more accessible and open with his staff.

I worked from home today because of the storm and I remote into my work computer. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop. At the end of the day, he sent me an email saying that based on the info that I cc'd him on, he felt no need to speak to that (nasty) woman. So maybe the owner's son said something to him?

I was dreading going to work tomorrow but maybe it won't be so bad now.

thanks for everyone's kind words. It helps!

BellesRose
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
My dad's job...well, I won't get into it, but the boss makes grown men cry on a weekly basis. A new guy just started yesterday and already wrote his resignation. So just know that you're not alone!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe they just think because the economy is still so bad everyone is disposable. It's cheaper to keep good employees than it is to hire and train someone new.

BellesRose-has anyone gone to the HR dept at your dad's job? That's definitely a hostile work environment. Although I can't believe they haven't noticed this.

garymacd
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Just an aside, Kathy, but wasn't that a great storm? Did you get the thunder and lightning, too?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Gary, I could live without all this snow!! I know I'm going to have a swimming pool in my basement once it starts to melt. I already have an ice dam in the bedroom. Drip, drip, drip. Not good. But if we got the thunder and lightening I didn't see or hear it. And now we are supposed to get more tomorrow and next week too. And the snow blower is on it's last legs.

Jimenyfan
02-05-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm always amazed at how people never realize until they get their w-2 that no federal taxes have been withheld. Having done payroll for 18yrs, before switching to purchasing I have to say it's one of the most difficult jobs. Anytime there's an error people think you are just trying to screw them up. In the past anyone who called me and started to get really rude I would just tell them to call back when the could speak to me appropriately. Thankfully I had someone who would back me up n these issues.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I especially like the ones who think they are going to talk over me. I'm one of 8 children so that's just not going to happen. I will tell them that if they don't stop yelling etc that I will hang up. And then if they continue, I do.

Our managers actually put their and their employee's times into our time keeping system and I import it into payroll. I've actually had managers call me and scream because their paycheck is messed up. I then very sweetly say "who puts your hours into the system and they respond with I do". And then I very nicely say that THEY put their own hours in wrong, not me. And that's when the light dawns on them that they did it to themselves! Gotta love human nature.

garymacd
02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
And the snow blower is on it's last legs.

Funny. My wife says the same thing about me when I'm out there shovelling. I don't know what she means.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Gary-I was just out trying to clean some snow off the back side of the roof and now I'm spagetti legs and limp arms. Does that count? I feel like I'm on my last legs too. NO MORE SNOW!

garymacd
02-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Glad I could make you smile, Kathy, even with all your work woes. I could see the smile coming through your post.:D