PDA

View Full Version : poly luau...should we?

jimsgal05
02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Okay please give me the rants and ravs of why my soon to be Dh and I should do this we are staying at poly and have been to hawaii he has never been to a luau..I know about the cheesy 1st part.. or the show..I can live with that.. going in May.

not on dinning plan either...or should we just goto chyrstal palce for dinner?

faline
02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
The old show was much more akin to a luau that you would experience in Hawaii. The new show far less so. If you've never been, you might still find it interesting - especially if you don't have a point of comparison.

AllDisney
02-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Try it once.

sorcerer fan
02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
save you money , try the hoop de do review instead.

DizneyRox
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
When I was younger, I had four deep cavaties filled without novacaine. I can speak more fondly of that experience than I can of the luau.

Save your cash and a couple hours of your life. Do something you won't regret.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Probably my only advice is to think of it as a Disney dinner show~ not a luau. Then I think it is in more perspective. Don't know if we saw the 'old' or 'new' show, but we did it in 2004 and enjoyed it.

As for the Hoop de Do, we went there with both sets of parents ~ and we all found it to be painful. The food was good and I know everyone raves about it, but never again. . . . :ack:

To each their own ~ the only way to discover your path is to walk it :thumbsup:

Happy Trails!

BugeyedMuggy
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
As previous post try it once. The price won't break the bank but in my opinion not worth the cost vs the show and food :ack:

akaDisneyDreamer
02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
We went last summer and it was on the dining plan, but cost 2 TS. The story line of the show was cheesey and I would have liked to see more dancing, the guys with the fire was entertaining. The food was good, not spectacular. I don't regret going, actually I am glad to say I went, I want to enjoy a wide varitey of experiences at Disney World, and try different things each time we go, however I don't see us doing the luau again. I suggest you give it a try. :papple::wave:

CaptSmee
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
I've seen it twice over the years now. About 5 or more years ago there was a lame story about a girl growing up and lots of hip hop/modern dance in the show. This year when we saw it there was a story but it was much more focused on traditional dance. We enjoyed it, and have been to a real luau ourselves. Our server on the other hand was 1 of the worst experiences we've ever had at WDW...:(

jimsgal05
02-02-2011, 09:22 AM
thank you all.. I have been to a real luau but soon to be DH hasn't... the food looks interesting family style all you can eat...but with post on here and 2 other sites I think we will goto KONA's for dinner then watch the firworks from our room or beach. Since we have been to crystal place before... So love the input you all gave!!!:mickey:

have a magical day!!!

BugeyedMuggy
02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Good choice. We love Kona Cafe and will be there in May during our stay at the Poly. Enjoy!

akaDisneyDreamer
02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Kona Cafe for dinner and fireworks on the beach is amazing, very relaxing! We did that one evening and honestly it was one of my favorite nights there!

buzznwoodysmom
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
We did the luau a few years ago. We enjoyed the show, but for us it was a one time thing. It was our first time staying at the Poly and we thought it would be nice to get the full Poly experience. I felt it went well with our trip, but I wouldn't spend the money to see it again.

brivers222
02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Took my fiancee there in October telling her how awesome the luau was (based on my experiences in '04 and '06) Sadly, they revamped the show and based it more on a cheesy love story... It was a bummer. We both decided never again for this show.

Now one that was amazing and the food was perfect was the Hoop Dee Doo Music Revue!!!
That is a must on every trip

DNS
02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
We did this show/dinner a couple of years ago for the first time. We have never been to Hawaii, so maybe that had something to do with it, but we loved this show and plan to do it again. There could have been more dancing in it for sure, but we enjoyed ourselves. The food was good. Maybe not fabulous, but good. I often wonder when people talk about how different it is from a real luau, what about it is so different. Maybe the best way to enjoy it is to just think of it as a Poly show and not as an actual luau.

ransam
02-12-2011, 03:08 AM
the food was awesome....but the show was not very good. It's more of a play than a luau....

TinkerbellT421
02-12-2011, 12:23 PM
save you money , try the hoop de do review instead.

Agreed. The luau is cute I guess, it was a nice experience to say we did it. But in my opinion I wont be going out of my way to ever see it again. Long waits between your reservation by the time you get to the show, a cattle herd I like to compare it too. Seems to be no organization. The seating was horrible. Could barely see the show the way the tables are. The coolest part was the flame guy. The food was ok. Nothing to rave about. I personally agree that if you want an overall excellent experience, between food, show etc nothing beats the Hoop de do!